BA and inter European travel. Terrible.

Old Jan 20, 22, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA View Post
Why is this out of interest, Copenhagen also gone to two a day from 7 at its peak.. Is there no demand for travel ?
There's little demand for intra-Europe travel as well as for long-haul travel, thus resulting in fewer connecting passengers. BA used to operate between 8 and 13 daily flights between FCO and LHR/LGW, depending on the season. There are currently just two per day, down from three back in December, and there were none for several months when the first and second COVID waves hit.
Old Jan 20, 22, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I've been flying around very inexpensively and enjoyably on a variety of LCCs for the past 6 months or so, and barely set foot on a BA flight except for an ex INV to the US. Ryanair is about the best, in that it's so cheap - especially via discounters - that you can fill out the experience with better extras than BA offer and still be paying a fraction of the J fare, and they're pretty efficient and punctual. Should you want to, of course, but I just stick with the fare and don't buy seats or other extras. You can usually improvise onboard to get a window or aisle (LCCs are often wanting someone to cover the exit rows when no-one paid for them) and if not you just tuck yourself in and put up with it, it's only a couple of hours.

The other way the LCCs really score is in speed of deplaning. You can literally be in the terminal in the same time it takes a BA flight to get an airbridge attached. This is particularly true with the FR 738s with integral front stairs, but as a rule you also get the back door so it proceeds really fast.

I will be back on BA for points when my TP year starts in Feb, but more and more of my flying will be with other carriers, because frankly the experience differential is miniscule, and I get a lot more bang per buck. If that's a race to the bottom, sign me up.
copenhagenBA and James91 like this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Time to take your 'loyalty' elsewhere I would say.
This
Old Jan 20, 22, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
The LCC's manage this Covid doc check very well - the only pax that have to join a check-in queue are those that want to check-in a bag, all HBO pax have their docs checked at the gate as part of the boarding process.
This is an over-generalisation. Where checking of docs takes place depends both on the LCC concerned and on the airport. Second, I would not consider the checking of documents at the gate to be the nirvana that you seem to suggest it is. I have had extremely chaotic boarding experiences on some airlines and delayed departures resulting from document checking at the gate. Personally, I find advance uploading of documents as a sensible idea but, yes, its unreliability is an issue.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I have used the document upload feature at least 20 times and have always been able to online check in. Not sure why it didn't work for you.
SpeedbirdLHR and cosmo74 like this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by braiden9 View Post
I have used the document upload feature at least 20 times and have always been able to online check in. Not sure why it didn't work for you.
Ive also used it a few times and not had any issues. Where Ive seen people have issues is that the names on documents done match usually due to the way different governments record information or for example, maiden name vs married name.

As for document checks, doing these at gates may work for carriers with little or no checked in bags. However last thing you need is constant delays due to having to remove bags when someone fails to present the correct documents. The earlier you confirm that customers have the correct documents, the less the risk of issues closer to departure.
marconess likes this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Took a few flights this week to and from Copenhagen. BA has sadly plunged to even lower depths of despair.
Maybe you could fly LH?? At the same time as BA has decided to give out water and snack for free again in Y, LH has taken it away
Old Jan 20, 22, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
Ryanair is about the best, in that it's so cheap - especially via discounters - that you can fill out the experience with better extras than BA offer and still be paying a fraction of the J fare, and they're pretty efficient and punctual.
Are you sure about the "discounters" part of that? https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/online-travel-agents
Old Jan 20, 22, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Pyrite
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf View Post
Next time fly SAS?

If you are an EU citizen you can still use the egates at LHR - unlike when we visit the EU and are forced to queue up but that's a different problem.
A spouse can get SO jealous when you break up with them....
Old Jan 21, 22, 2:26 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
This is an over-generalisation. Where checking of docs takes place depends both on the LCC concerned and on the airport. Second, I would not consider the checking of documents at the gate to be the nirvana that you seem to suggest it is. I have had extremely chaotic boarding experiences on some airlines and delayed departures resulting from document checking at the gate. Personally, I find advance uploading of documents as a sensible idea but, yes, its unreliability is an issue.
I have to disagree here. I've taken some 18 LCC sectors on U2, FR and Wizz (the three biggest LCC in Europe) since around June last year and all HBO only. With all of them I was able to go straight through security and not have to either upload anything or stand in a check-in queue. Airports used were STN, LGW, BRS, LTN from the UK and on return, from MXP, LIN, GOA, AMS, TRN, NCE, GDN and BCN.

All Covid doc checks for HBO were at the gate (pax with checked-in luggage had already done this and had a "docs checked" stamp on their BP) and were fast and efficient - frequent Tannoy messages made during boarding to say what pax should have ready to show the GA. In the early days of testing I did see some pax turned away because they hadn't either filled in the relevant locator form for the destination or hadn't had the right test / within the right timescale.

So admittedly have not flown with all LCC's but I have with the 3 biggest in Europe and to a pretty good selection of airports across multiple countries. All had doc checks at the gate for HBO and it worked very, very well.
-Heathcliff- and bisonrav like this.
Old Jan 21, 22, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by EJetter View Post
Are you sure about the "discounters" part of that? https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/online-travel-agents
Absolutely. Ryanair want you to buy ancillaries from them and get a bit stroppy if you don't register the flights on their site. In practice that becomes a validation request which is online and costs 50p, or you can do it at an airport; I've never had one myself, probably because I always enter the booking immediately, but I know people this has happened to and it hasn't caused an issue.

There are some interesting aspects about how discounters operate, but off topic for here, and in practical terms it works very well.
Old Jan 21, 22, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf View Post
Next time fly SAS?

If you are an EU citizen you can still use the egates at LHR - unlike when we visit the EU and are forced to queue up but that's a different problem.
I think the view at LHR is that there is so much EU inward traffic, it's best to streamline it, which is very sensible. The converse could probably be true with a little goodwill, but in practical terms I've not had delays at EU airports, the non-EU queue is usually quite short. I'm sure I'll be caught out at some point, but it doesn't seem to have been a problem up to now. Places like AMS remain diabolical, but they always were.
Old Jan 21, 22, 5:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
I think the view at LHR is that there is so much EU inward traffic, it's best to streamline it, which is very sensible. The converse could probably be true with a little goodwill, but in practical terms I've not had delays at EU airports, the non-EU queue is usually quite short. I'm sure I'll be caught out at some point, but it doesn't seem to have been a problem up to now. Places like AMS remain diabolical, but they always were.
And the automated gate access at LHR for EU citizens is probably not there out of goodwill for the EU, but rather because Priti doesn't want to hire more staff for UKBF. Pretty sure that EU e-gate access for Brits will resume once ETIAS is live in 2023.
Old Jan 21, 22, 5:31 am

Took a few flights this week to and from Copenhagen. BA has sadly plunged to even lower depths of despair.

The first irritation i have with BA, is that they ask me to upload my covid details. Every time i do it and every time it comes back they are unable to verify the documents. This then results in a check in only option at the airport, which for Copenhagen and an early morning flight before 7am, means you have to add an extra 30 minutes onto your journey. The problem doesnt occur with easyjet, ryanair who instead check your documents at the gate. Over and over again, i have had the same issue. Why is it so much simpler on the budget airlines, of which BA is now one. Service in economy was dreadful, the only thing served was a bottle of water and a snack. There was for some reason, no extra service for hot drinks or paid for food/drink. I asked the CSD on the way out of the plane if this was an enhancement for 2022, but he said he was really sorry, they should have served the second round. There was no seatbelt sign on the whole flight. Lost revenue for BA. The plane itself was a nice newish A320 neo, no complaints there, but the good old flightmap is now gone from the aircraft which is a shame. Instead you get an altimeter for free on the app, otherwise its a fiver internet to do anything more than the basic. Next issue, which may not be BAs fault is London Heathrow passport control. While waiting times are much better than previous at the gates, the queues for families continues to be absolutely disgraceful, with wait times upto 1hr. Conversely, if you goto London Gatwick which obviously has less long haul flights you can breeze through. Again, another negative on the benefit to having to fly through London Heathrow.

On the return, decided to fly club europe and was on the 18.45 flight home... The food service was the worst i have seen it in years. The champagne enhancement is now a thimble sized glass as they have done away with serving individuals their own miniature bottles. Instead they poor champagne from a normal size bottle. The glass size is absolutely ridiculous. Also the main courses for an evening flight were really rubbish. I had shepherds pie, consisting of about 5-6 mouthfalls. The salad was barely there on the side as was the desert. Bread rolls served out of plastic bag....

I also visited the lounges prior to boarding in Heathrow. The galleries first and the business class lounge south by the a3 gates... I thought even there the differences between the two lounges were marginal at best now. The south lounge was looking quite nice. You get sandwiches in there, you get sandwiches in the first lounge... Champagnes and wines marginally better, but the days of BA rolling out decent wines are long gone. The wine in club europe is atrocious.

Really disappointing BA. Theres no reason to overpay for your tickets. You dont get anything unless you specifically want to fly into LHR or have a transit.

And the cost of he ticket for this. 250 GBP, compared to 25 gbp return on Ryanair and 50 gbp on easyjet...
I noticed you mentioned you had internet. All purchases onboard after the water/snack complimentary service is done online now and on demand and cabin crew don't come round with a trolley to sell anymore unless there is no internet onboard. This would have been explained in the sccm welcome pa?

The other catering points you mentioned are temporary measures due to covid/ supply chain rather than the anticipated norm. The large bottles of champagne in CE is not the standard and are currently product substitution for small bottles due to supply chain so basically whatever BA/ caterers can get hold of they'll load. Plastic wrapped bread was introduced to minimise hand touching.
Old Jan 21, 22, 5:38 am

Why is this out of interest, Copenhagen also gone to two a day from 7 at its peak.. Is there no demand for travel ?
A lot of countries have placed restrictions on who can enter. A lot would only allow their own residents or nationals to enter and a ban on foreign nationals.

Search this Thread