Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and the US 5G Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Exterous
More specifically 5G is a protocol and various governing bodies release which parts of the spectrum can be used for 5G in their oversight regions. I'm a bit rusty on which bands are used where but I believe in Europe the band in question was allowed to use up to to 3.8ghz for 5G while the US allowed up to 4.2ghz

5G itself will operate and perform differently (speed, signal decay, material penetration) depending on which part of the spectrum it's using
The US allowed up to 4.0 i think. There is a blocked band sitting between 5G and radio altimeters but it is smaller in the US.

The other issues are the power permitted is lower in Europe, and around airports network operators installed directional transmitters to keep the signals away from the runways. Not so in the US.
konagirl2 and Owenc like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:17 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Door5L
If only BA had invested in some 747-8i or kept their “younger” 744s in operation. Lufthansa still uses these types if anyone wants to avoid the dreaded 787 on transatlantic routes.
4-holers are generally dead though. Very inefficient compared to much newer gen 787 and A350.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Due to be flying on BA173 (LHR-JFK) on Feb 1st, and I see that the 173 today and tomorrow have both been cancelled. Hopefully just a very short term issue...
subsonic001 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
NO worries. The 5G rollout is not expected to affect the astrolabes that BA uses.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
4-holers are generally dead though. Very inefficient compared to much newer gen 787 and A350.
Although it's hard to be more efficient than an aircraft that has been grounded
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:51 am

JAL, ANA and EK all announce resumption of 777 service from the US after FAA notice.

JAL: https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...portant_notice
ANA: https://www.ana.co.jp/asw/topinfo/in...fo_tool_flag=1
EK: https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...-updates/#4843

Hoping this bodes well for my SFO-LHR flight 20/2.
richiejv likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by alangore
NO worries. The 5G rollout is not expected to affect the astrolabes that BA uses.
Nor the Polarised Sextant that Chief Pilot Capt Wingnut insists we still use to get a position fix every 10deg of Longitude. Thank goodness our steadfast reliance on Omega, Decca and Loran has proven to be the correct course. 😄

N.B…pun intended.
Waterhorse, rapidex and vibrex like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:59 pm

Piece from the Seattle Times aerospace reporter: Chaos at Sea-Tac Airport still a risk despite 5G wireless deal | The Seattle Times
Old Jan 19, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
So why are BA only cancelling some B777 flights to say JFK and not others?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
So why are BA only cancelling some B777 flights to say JFK and not others?
If there is no AMOC (acceptable means of compliance) issued for the 777 it can’t fly. Others fleets have AMOCs issued. The problem is the AMOCs are aircraft and runway and airline specific. So for each airline they need their fleets approved for each individual runway in the USA they plan on flying too. That takes time to achieve for runways where these 5g masts are located. The 777 is the most affected fleet at present from my reading of the current notices.

It’s a USA issue only.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Excuse my naivety but what is 5G?
Have you heard about this tinternet you can get on phones yet? It replaces pens and paper, stamps and envelopes
HIDDY and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Have you heard about this tinternet you can get on phones yet? It replaces pens and paper, stamps and envelopes
I get the wife's cast-off phones just incase I have a bad turn.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Last edited by HIDDY; Jan 19, 2022 at 5:08 pm
Old Jan 19, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
TBH, this is only the tip of a very big looming iceberg of a problem, where commercial interests of one sector impinge upon those of another. The US recently sold off frequencies around 24 GHz that will affect satellite observations that go into weather forecasts (which of course are also used by the airlines). The Chinese are already experimenting with 7G (with presumably 6G somewhere in between).
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
A letter delivered by donkey is far more romantic.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:30 am

Does anybody have any idea how long this 5G issue will last? What are the chances of further disruptions down the line? From the agreement reached yesterday it seems the FAA and the telecom companies have just kicked the can down the road again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.