Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences of masking on TATL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent experiences of masking on TATL flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
Simple - we are risk averse. More so than others, obviously. Yes, the data suggest that young children are at less risk than other age groups, but it still happens. Just ask the parents of the children who did not survive Covid.
If you want to explain away all of the situations that occurred, feel free.. but everyone has a choice to make for their children and this is what we've chosen. It is simply a suggestion, not a blanket recommendation that I expect people to treat as gospel. YMMV.
https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-survival/covid-19/

As for those that just want to drag this thread down in flames of Covid trolling, please keep me out of it.
It's your prerogative to choose what you feel is right for your family but the clinical data shows that unless there are significant underlying health conditions children have an extremely low risk of developing serious illness or death. Like all parents I love my children and am fiercely protective but so far as COVID I'm far more concerned about them not getting to enjoy life and new experiences than any risks an infection might pose to their health. To be blunt, unless you stay at home and don't see anyone you and your children will be exposed to Omicron within the next 6-8 weeks anyway regardless of whether you get on a plane to Florida. It would be an interesting piece of analysis to look at whether the health benefits of 2 weeks in the vitamin D rich Florida sun for a northern european 20 month old outweighed the risks of serious illness from COVID. I am convinced they would.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by izzik
Simple - we are risk averse. More so than others, obviously. Yes, the data suggest that young children are at less risk than other age groups, but it still happens. Just ask the parents of the children who did not survive Covid.
If you want to explain away all of the situations that occurred, feel free.. but everyone has a choice to make for their children and this is what we've chosen. It is simply a suggestion, not a blanket recommendation that I expect people to treat as gospel. YMMV.
https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-survival/covid-19/

The reality is that most of us have no choice but to accept the risks. Kids have to go to daycare or school and do activities, sports, playdates etc etc - the way kids interact is orders of magnitude more risky than any travel related exposure.
If you have kids beyond toddle age there is no hiding as i know from my countless colds and flus brought home by kids over the years. Travel got nothing on that stuff
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
There is also the 15% who gets long Covid, and that's a ride that nobody knows when and how it ends...Stay tuned for that...Spoiler alert...it won't end well...
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by nk15
There is also the 15% who gets long Covid, and that's a ride that nobody knows when and how it ends...Stay tuned for that...Spoiler alert...it won't end well...
The vast majority of people who develop Long Covid suffer only mild symptoms. I couldn't smell or taste anything for over 6 months and this was classed as Long Covid.

Spoiler alert... it ended well.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Folks,

The discussion is meanandering off-topic and expanding on issues that are beyond the scope of this forum. Can we refocus the discussion on recent experiences of mask wearing on transatlantic flights please.

Thanks

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:56 am

Back on topic then, I'm flying to New York with my wife next month and we're not overly worried about the flight. Like has been said previously, unless everyone on the flight wore a suitable mask for the full duration of the flight (without pulling it down to eat) then you're never going to be 100% safe.

Everybody is different but I'd suggest postponing your journey if it worries you this much.

Don't forget that everyone is required to take a test the day before departure, offering at least some peace of mind. You're far more likely to catch Covid at a supermarket than on the plane.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
{deleted as off topic}
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:30 am

I'm more concerned about A10. The "gate area" was an absolute zoo on my last visit to T5. After waiting about 10 minutes with repeated announcements that the buses would arrive shortly, I decided to leave the area, but as I did I saw the bus arrive so turned around and walked straight on. Of course, I was on the bus for over 16 minutes, most of that in a sardine-like fashion with my fellow passengers, as we took the longest possible route to Gatwick stand 568! And this was no short-haul - this was going to SFO!

rb211.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Please do get your FFP2 / 3 masks from a reputable source as there are a lot of fakes out there currently I believe.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by LSSI92
Back on topic then, I'm flying to New York with my wife next month and we're not overly worried about the flight. Like has been said previously, unless everyone on the flight wore a suitable mask for the full duration of the flight (without pulling it down to eat) then you're never going to be 100% safe.

Everybody is different but I'd suggest postponing your journey if it worries you this much.

Don't forget that everyone is required to take a test the day before departure, offering at least some peace of mind. You're far more likely to catch Covid at a supermarket than on the plane.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do
Agree with what you say, but I think important to recognise that masks do not make you 100% safe even if worn all the time. A fit tested FFP3 will get you pretty close, if you're good at taking it off properly. Surgical masks and the assorted face coverings actually in general use might, maybe make a slight difference but probably don't.
LSSI92 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody talks about 100% safety, and this is not a Covid ward...We are talking about relative safety and reducing the chances...There are HEPA filters, there is some distancing in CW, most pax are vaccinated, they are all tested, most pax are mostly masked and the OP has some good masks...

And then there may be 3-10 positive pax somewhere on the flight, of whom 0-2 with active symptoms maybe dangerous, if they are close to you...Like a constant cougher/snifller within a 5 meter radius...
markle, wrp96 and janwillem like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by nk15
And then there may be 3-10 positive pax somewhere on the flight, of whom 0-2 with active symptoms maybe dangerous, if they are close to you...Like a constant cougher/snifller within a 5 meter radius...
I don't quite understand where your figures are coming from or the point you're trying to make, other than to scaremonger.

To the OP: if you're still happy to walk around *insert supermarket of your self-regard* then you should travel in my opinion. The US has high rates of Covid at the moment and you'd be much more likely to catch it there than on the plane. Everybody will catch Covid at some point unfortunately. It is something we're going to have to learn to live with.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LSSI92
I don't quite understand where your figures are coming from or the point you're trying to make, other than to scaremonger.

To the OP: if you're still happy to walk around *insert supermarket of your self-regard* then you should travel in my opinion. The US has high rates of Covid at the moment and you'd be much more likely to catch it there than on the plane. Everybody will catch Covid at some point unfortunately. It is something we're going to have to learn to live with.
The numbers are rough guesstimates coming from my post #49 and a common sense analysis of risks and defenses, based on what we know. I am just giving a more nuanced analysis, instead of an all or nothing approach, like I will do for myself if I was traveling.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
I'm aware the OP said switching airlines is not an option - however, interesting to see the lenghts AA will go to to enforce the mask mandate

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...ask-diversion/
orbitmic, KeaneJohn and nk15 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colesmore
I'm aware the OP said switching airlines is not an option - however, interesting to see the lenghts AA will go to to enforce the mask mandate

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...ask-diversion/
The good news is that flight loads appear moderate (129 pax on that flight); the bad news is that the offending passenger was in first class (as per one of the comments), so higher cabin does not necessarily mean more tranquility...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.