Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences of masking on TATL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent experiences of masking on TATL flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL, GFL)
Just to give an additional data point, I’m currently at a work conference at a large hotel just outside Orlando. All of the staff are wearing masks, all of the time. Amongst the guests I’d say it’s about 50/50.

However I would agree that AA is a lot stricter than BA. I flew in via Dallas and on the hop over to Orlando there was a stern announcement stating that masks could NOT be taken off to eat/drink but could only be “dipped momentarily” (whatever that means).

On my flight from LHR to DFW the CSD-equivalent (sorry I forget the new title), who was an old pro running a great team, came to do a hello greeting for all 5 of us in F (this was a novelty, first time I have had this for a while). I had a drink in my hand when he came over so was not wearing my mask. He asked if I minded if he lowered his mask to chat. (My response was of course I don’t mind - I had covid a month ago so currently feeling rather relaxed about being exposed to it.)
TarquinMontague likes this.

Last edited by aoyamaguy; Jan 17, 2022 at 10:10 am
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by markle
I appreciate the sentiment, but I see a big distinction in the level of risk posed by
​​​by walking around outdoors at a beach, or grocery shopping in a giant Target with only a handful of people in vs being in a plane for 8 hours. Not to mention, in the former scenarios, it's also very easy to remove oneself from a situation which you no longer feel comfortable in.
I'm not sure these two are as different as you think. Modern planes have pretty aggressive air circulation systems with similarly aggressive filters. Targets do not. The cases of transmission in plans has, I believe, been really very low. I don't have the figures for Target, but I think you probably get my point.

As has been said, you can lower your discomfort level by flying to a different gateway with BA and then flying AA, where with luck, they'll be stricter mask enforcement. And you can lower your family's changes of getting Covid by not going at all. We all have to make our own choices, but please don't be thinking that large Targets and the like in South FL aren't a significant transmission opportunity!

rb211.
endoman likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I've flown AA and AS 12 times in last few months and they've been rather relaxed. At no point had militant cabin crew, but definitely on boarding there was a fair amount of checking that people had masks covering nose and mouth etc. As a data point I was up front on all of those flights and when eating / drinking I had my mask off and nothing was said. However i was sure to mask up again when not consuming anything.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:07 pm

I agree with others who state that it really depends on the crew. I have done several TATL in J with DL and AF during the pandemic. Some crews are quick to remind people to put their masks back on as soon as they are done eating and drinking. Others were way more laid back.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think considering AA, if that is an option, is worth it, but only if they fly to your destination. If you have to connect to the Northeast and then take a domestic AA flight down to Florida, it is very likely it will be a zoo, where no one is tested and as many as 20-30% on board will be positive, by my guesstimate. So, probably avoid US domestic flights.

The other suggestion I have is see if you can be in a J mini cabin, like on the AA 77W, or on some BA planes. I recently flew the 77W in the minicabin from LHR, and interestingly I had a couple with a baby around me. I was initially alarmed by the level of talk and interaction, lol, but they end up being masked and quiet throughout... and most of the mini cabin empty...

The point of the minicabin is to reduce people around you and the odds, it is a numbers game. Now if you are unlucky and get a Covid positive maskeless cougher in the mini-cabin, all bets are off, you may get infected, but odds are that this won't happen. On the positive side, it is also possible that planes will be flying with lighter loads right now...

I agree that you can manage risk in Florida, with the bigger source of risk being your local family there...

FFP2/3s are a must on this trip, and preferably the 3M stuff as opposed to KN95s...

Last edited by nk15; Jan 17, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, ignore any mildly derisive comments, they are inappropriate and wrong, plus opinions from people who are not related academics or in a medical field are usually not worth much regarding Covid-related decisions....

Back to the dilemma of AA vs. BA, I forgot to mention that AA also has the movie "Queenpins" that BA doesn't yet, for what this is worth...
TangoOneSeven likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 17, 2022 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation avoid florida if you really care about your health.

Florida is the land of the anti-maskers. It doesn't matter whether you pay to fly in F, J or Y to Miami, Orlando, Key West, Palm Beach or even Tampa - you're going to be shocked the plethora of folks departing/entering that state who don't believe in masks and DGAF about covid. All those passenger fighting/arresting videos you've seen on twitter/youtube/tiktok are all Florida natives/passengers.

If I were you, I would avoid Florida at all means, or just fly into Georgia and then drive to Florida. Don't risk it for yourself or for your family. Florida has been renamed to the covid deniers state and no longer the sunshine state tbh.

Source: am American, and we avoid Florida like the plague. Wouldn't even bother vacationing there after how their governor mishandled the pandemic for 2 years.

Originally Posted by markle
We're taking the travel precautions we can - flying in J to have a quieter cabin and more space, my wife and I wearing FFP2 masks - but equally are concerned about the potential health risk to our daughter, who by virtue of her age is unvaccinated and can't wear a mask.

Does anyone have any recent experiences, particularly on this route, that may either corroborate these stories or allay our concerns?
Carfield, CO-PLAT, clkc86 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Gertjaars; Jan 17, 2022 at 4:53 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
I spent NYE in Miami and South Beach and am certain I caught Covid there. Very mild with basically a sore throat for a few days. I was masked and we went to an open air NYE celebration to minimise risk.

95% unmasked during the few days I was there.

It’s almost impossible (and highly expensive) to get LFT’’s in the US so highly recommend packing some.

I would be more concerned about going to Florida rather than the flight to be honest.

All that being said; being back in Miami was fantastic and I don’t regret going at all. Plus now I’m triple vaccinated + have natural antibodies.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Florida is the land of the anti-maskers. It doesn't matter whether you pay to fly in F, J or Y to Miami, Orlando, Key West, Palm Beach or even Tampa - you're going to be shocked the plethora of folks departing/entering that state who don't believe in masks and DGAF about covid. All those passenger fighting/arresting videos you've seen on twitter/youtube/tiktok are all Florida natives/passengers.

If I were you, I would avoid Florida at all means, or just fly into Georgia and then drive to Florida. Don't risk it for yourself or for your family. Florida has been renamed to the covid deniers state and no longer the sunshine state tbh.

Source: am American, and we avoid Florida like the plague. Wouldn't even bother vacationing there after how their governor mishandled the pandemic for 2 years.

except it isnt with numbers nearly identical to US in general (per NYT tracker)

and 20M+ people somehow survive there

Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Florida data I would guess very unreliable, if not outright manipulated...They are in an alternate universe over there...
jamiel, CO-PLAT, clkc86 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Agree that if you are concerned about Covid-19, FL is a poor choice of destination.
jamiel likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Interesting comments re. Florida. Compare that with Chicago, where I spent a week over New Year. Mask compliance was 100% inside stores, supermarkets, hotels, etc. Stores like the Target on State Street in the Loop had two staff at the entrance enforcing a strict mask-on policy, but that was the exception as all customers voluntarily masked up inside stores. About 70% of the pedestrians in the streets in downtown Chicago wore masks all the time. Many bars/restaurants were already requiring proof of vaccination, which has become a citywide requirement for entry into all bars/restaurants since Jan 3. I went to a big party at a major hotel in River North on NYE, with well over a thousand people in attendance, several open bars and DJs in eight different rooms on two floors. Despite the large number of people there was plenty of room, and the bar areas and the dance floors never felt too crowded. There was a very strict door policy requiring guests to be fully vaccinated and to have pre-purchased their tickets online. The queues at the entrance were well managed, and the staff carefully checked everyone’s vaccination cards and matching ID, and they also took everyone's temperature at the door. I am fully vaccinated and boosted and felt much more at ease at that NYE party than I had on the BA flight to ORD a few days earlier.
Carfield and Geordie405 like this.

Last edited by London Dude; Jan 17, 2022 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by Gertjaars

Also American. We don't all feel like that about Florida. A lot of us feel Governor DeSantis' approach is one of common sense and logic. This coming from someone living in one of the most lockdown and vax-pass happy states in the union, where our case rates are not all that different from FL.
Vitriol01, bakera, tai4de2 and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Florida data I would guess very unreliable, if not outright manipulated...They are in an alternate universe over there...
doctors in FL must be conspiring with governor hiding the sick and the dead?

If you have fears by all means avoid it but let others make a decision based on facts.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have recent experience of BA and UA TATL. UA enforces the rules vigilantly but not excessively. BA crew can’t be bothered - but are otherwise friendlier.

If you value better food and service over greater comfort and COVID security, go BA, otherwise choose UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.