Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F service. Quo vadis?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I agree that not all ex MF crew are bad and all WW are good, I have never said that if you care to check.
My agenda is to always be honest and say things as I see them, what is your agenda?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
Whilst I agree there are some xMF who shouldn’t be anywhere near a First cabin there are equally some miserable, disinterested and lazy xWW crew who shouldn’t be either. Let’s not pretend all bad service in First is purely from xMF however much it suits your agenda.
This is obviously true - and in fact my worst ever flight in F (out of a sample of 50 or so flights) - was with a WW crew along the lines you describe. But the point is that, to the extent they exist (actually rather limited, in my experience), poor legacy WW crew are almost certainly capable of delivering excellent service but are lazy and just cannot be bothered.

On the other hand, a very very large number of legacy MF crew simply do not have the experience or the training to deliver service - especially in F - to the level of experienced legacy WW crew. Too often they come across as well-intentioned lost sheep; surrounded by passengers who seem to have a better sense of how the service should flow than they do.

I’m not saying that any of that is the fault of the crew. It’s BA’s fault for operating the staffing model it has now adopted.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Carfield
What do you mean by running out of breakfast? Did they run out of your choice? I was surprised that they did not load enough breakfast for a full first class cabin. They might run out of your choices, but in these slightly longer flights, there should be three choices for main courses.

Wow... that is really bad...

Carfield
Was told they had no cooked breakfast for me, no reason given, just told that all they had was the fruit. I put it down to Covid catering, but still disappointing.
Carfield likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by chris87
This is obviously true - and in fact my worst ever flight in F (out of a sample of 50 or so flights) - was with a WW crew along the lines you describe. But the point is that, to the extent they exist (actually rather limited, in my experience), poor legacy WW crew are almost certainly capable of delivering excellent service but are lazy and just cannot be bothered.

On the other hand, a very very large number of legacy MF crew simply do not have the experience or the training to deliver service - especially in F - to the level of experienced legacy WW crew. Too often they come across as well-intentioned lost sheep; surrounded by passengers who seem to have a better sense of how the service should flow than they do.

I’m not saying that any of that is the fault of the crew. It’s BA’s fault for operating the staffing model it has now adopted.
Where I suppose I disagree with some posts here is that it is not all down to classroom training. I’m sure on-script, the ex-MF crew are probably OK, but then conversations never work like that and sooner or later the crew will have to ad-lib, and I get the impression that is where things go awry. The older average age of WW surely was a massive help.

Slightly odd parallel but I recently read a quote about why the UK Conservative government was having such a hard time; the observation was that Whitehall was being run by very brainy but unworldly young people. I did think of BA.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by 2358
Was told they had no cooked breakfast for me, no reason given, just told that all they had was the fruit. I put it down to Covid catering, but still disappointing.
I cannot understand how they run out of meals. Honestly, that does not make any sense. I assume one of the crew had your breakfast? and another crew had the other option?

I have been flying more than 20 years and not a single time they had no meals left in any classes.
Carfield likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
Whilst I agree there are some xMF who shouldn’t be anywhere near a First cabin there are equally some miserable, disinterested and lazy xWW crew who shouldn’t be either.
Indeed. There was once when I flew F LHR-JFK, the disinterested older WW male crew came to me after he's taken everyone else's meal orders, and asked Mafia-style, "What do you want?". I stared up to him, slightly shocked but most definitely baffled, because I hadn't pressed any service button. Then he quickly continued his abbreviated question, "... to eat?". Looked like someone really got off the wrong side of bed to turn up to work that day. Surely this can't be BA's training for F crew.

Then again there was an older WW female crew who absolutely couldn't be lovelier and kept plying me with drinks through my F SIN-LHR, insisting that she "lived vicariously through me".

There's so much training can do. The rest comes down to attitude.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Jan 16, 2022 at 8:17 pm
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177
I cannot understand how they run out of meals. Honestly, that does not make any sense. I assume one of the crew had your breakfast? and another crew had the other option?

I have been flying more than 20 years and not a single time they had no meals left in any classes.
That is totally my thought too. I cannot imagine BA running out of cooked Breakfast at all. I would have pushed harder and asked to speak with the inflight supervisor too. That's unacceptable in premium cabin. If they ran out of the sweet options or non-traditional egg dish like Frittata or Omelet, I would not be shocked. Something was wrong with your MEX flight. I was also a bit shocked that they did not try to get you a hot breakfast from Club World too. No wonder that you were upset about the flight. I would be too.

Carfield
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Carfield
That is totally my thought too. I cannot imagine BA running out of cooked Breakfast at all. I would have pushed harder and asked to speak with the inflight supervisor too. That's unacceptable in premium cabin. If they ran out of the sweet options or non-traditional egg dish like Frittata or Omelet, I would not be shocked. Something was wrong with your MEX flight. I was also a bit shocked that they did not try to get you a hot breakfast from Club World too. No wonder that you were upset about the flight. I would be too.

Carfield
Ex Mex I was told no hot brekko due to faulty ovens. They served up a cold brekko and customer service gave me 25 quid credit which i thought was fair. After all the still managed to give me some breakfast and 25 would be enough for a very good hot breakfast elsewhere.
Carfield likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
OP probably asked in Latin to look superior and it pi55ed off the crew. I learned all I needed when I read "Quo vadis"
Hello is that Curry's? I'd like to place an order for two supplementary, auxiliary speakers, to go with my Midi Hi-Fi system....

If you're in the know, you know!
HarryHolden68, S_W_S and drwook like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:57 am

My very rare experiences in first have both been excellent.

our first first they just left me with the bottle of red. Could not have been more lovely in encouraging us to dine together.

second e experience just as good and with quite young cabin crew who were amazing. Engaged chatty and could not have been more friendly.

the difference in service between first and club was phenomenal. Experiences in club have been rather perfunctory.

And I love to complain. I really had no reason to complain whatsoever on either occasion.
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
You were probably welcomed at the door when you boarded.
You probably missed the 'Welcome to London Heathrow Terminal 5 announcement which would have included the thanks for flying BA etc. etc."
Whilst COVID remains at record levels the crews will be probably minimising none essential close quarters conversations with passengers
Maybe they thought you were such an experienced F traveller that you were probably going to the lounge for breakfast
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ermis177

So instead of other possibilities such as not enough meals were loaded/another passenger had had it/it got spoiled somewhere along the line - your natural assumption is that the crew must have thieved it? Probably one of those MF crew that people are talking about.
DelTroon and Welcome On Board like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by A P Yu
You were probably welcomed at the door when you boarded.
You probably missed the 'Welcome to London Heathrow Terminal 5 announcement which would have included the thanks for flying BA etc. etc."
Whilst COVID remains at record levels the crews will be probably minimising none essential close quarters conversations with passengers
Maybe they thought you were such an experienced F traveller that you were probably going to the lounge for breakfast
Not sure if serious…
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Not sure if serious…
Don't be. This is Flyertalk. It only took someone 8 hours to blame the OP.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:25 am

[QUOTE=choosethedrew; the observation was that Whitehall was being run by very brainy but unworldly young people. I did think of BA.[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine whose nephew works in the Cabinet Office made the same observation to me two months ago.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.