Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Cancellation - Online offering a Voucher?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium

Hi,

I want to cancel a CW booking from MIA back to LHR in April. Booked as a full Avios redemption. When I try to cancel online, the only option is to fill in a form for a voucher. I don't want a voucher, I just want my Avios back and my taxes and fees refunded.

Is this correct?

Or do I fill in the form and they give back the Avios as I didn't pay cash for the fare?

Confused.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I want to cancel a CW booking from MIA back to LHR in April. Booked as a full Avios redemption. When I try to cancel online, the only option is to fill in a form for a voucher. I don't want a voucher, I just want my Avios back and my taxes and fees refunded.
You need to phone to get a full refund (less cancellation fee). That's just the way it is now.

If you can't get through on the phone, you can cancel online for an FTV, and then later phone (perhaps when the phone lines are less busy) to cancel the FTV for a refund. The cancellation fee is then applied when you cancel the FTV.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You need to phone to get a full refund (less cancellation fee). That's just the way it is now.

If you can't get through on the phone, you can cancel online for an FTV, and then later phone (perhaps when the phone lines are less busy) to cancel the FTV for a refund. The cancellation fee is then applied when you cancel the FTV.
Ok, thank you.

I am on hold now to speak to a person.

Appreciate the advice.

Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Ok, thank you.

I am on hold now to speak to a person.

Appreciate the advice.

Good luck, the hold times are quite long atm!

Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Good luck, the hold times are quite long atm!

All done and dusted. 32 minutes hold time and about 3 minutes on the phone to process the cancelation.

Not bad at all.

So, if anyone is looking for a seat back from MIA on the 5th April on the A380, I just vacated one... 59K too, nice seat
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’m in the same position BBB…..BA cancelled part of my (domestic) flight to Miami in February but I’m only being offered a future flight voucher - very frustrating.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
And what is the expiry date of the voucher ?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For cancelled flights sometimes the disruption page does offer an option to get a full refund when clicking on the cancellation options button. But if this isn't offered and only an FTV is offered you do have to call.

All FTVs, including all existing ones, are no w valid for booking new travel completed by the end of September 2023.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; BA Silver; Marriott Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
I'm also in the club of having to cancel an Avios booking. I just spent an hour on hold, only to be cut off before reaching an agent. I hoped an early Sunday morning call would have spared me this result. Alas ....
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: ba silver
Is it still not possible to cancel a simple Avios booking online? We used to be able to do that and it looks like BA executives choose to upset customers by taking away something that worked and deciding to not make it work while intentionally overloading their call centers.

They aren't the only ones though, I don't know why one airline allows changes to be done online while another forces you to call in to change a simple booking. Why is this allowed.

Governments need to get involved and prohibit airlines from selling tickets online that cannot be changed or cancelled online. You'll see IT departments fix this situation overnight. Also, its time that airlines who received government bailouts to be forced to answer phones without putting people on hold over a period of time. I would give them three months to start treating customers better or pay back all the bailout money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.