My First First

Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Isnt this all a but much?

Lets face it, most people fly economy which is utterly horrible. The fact that you can breeze through the terminal, drink some nice (not amazing) wine and swan around in a huge seat is great.

Sure, a 6,000 F fare on EK may well be better but who wants to (or can) drop that kind of dollar on an 8 hour flight?

Enjoy it. Its not a central London restaurant but its not trying to be.

I for one feel lucky I can do it (as Im not on mega-bucks) through some smart sale booking and the odd redemption. Bring it on!!!
VSLover and Grande Annee like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subsonic001

I know its meant to be a way of getting from A to B nicely but this flight is almost the whole point of the holiday for me..
That's the mistake I made. The missus eventually told me to shut up as she didn't really care what was going to happen next!!
RB211 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
exactly keep your expectations low and youll be positively surprised!
My last long haul flight was my first (only) First from HKG to LHR en route home from my first trip to Australia. Slipped in Hong Kong, broke wrist and spent 2 nights in hospital getting wrist pinned.

The bed was really comfortable but the food was really disappointing. Dont take the beef - my OH had to saw it into small pieces for me to eat. Dessert was 2 frozen solid balls of ice cream with no sign of the choc sauce and meringue and pistachios that was described in the menu.

Dont go with high expectations for the food!
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:40 pm

Dont listen to all the naysayers, F is wonderful. I avoid eating lots in the CCR as on the ground you can eat as well in a good restaurant, but eating in the sky is marvellous, unsurpassed, exciting, a one off.

Once you have enjoyed BA it is great fun exploring the worlds first class offerings and coming to your own conclusions.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:02 pm

Make sure you tell the crew in advance that you want cheese AND dessert!

​​​​​​Dessert or Cheese in F!
Carfield and TheJayHatch like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:44 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
A couple of comments on lounges
- have a meal in the CCR. The portions are small, so ask for more no drama. On board you can delay your main meal depending on how stuffed you are, or switch your second meal (sandwiches?) with the main meal to reverse order. You will get next to nothing on the AA flights at the moment so you can fast on the JFK/AUS
- at JFK you will be able to use the AA Flagship lounge - this is a step up on the normal AA Admirals Club with food buffet, champagne and reasonable self serve bar. As you are on the BA flight number you will not get access to the first dining (a complaint of mine) and you cannot go back to the CCR in the BA terminal.
- you may consider changing the inbound to JFK to use the CCR there as the Flagship lounge in DFW remains closed. There is a Centurian lounge that is open. Of course the longer flight time from DFW could be beneficial for a meal on board and then a sleep rather than the fast flight from JFK.

enjoy! I flew the lhr/jfk just before Xmas, and despite the ungodly timed connection from CPH I positively enjoyed it!

KF
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:36 am

Drink lots of cocktails and LPGS at CCR!
TheFlyingCyclist and Will100 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Drink lots of cocktails and LPGS at CCR!
This. It makes everything better. Or makes it so you don't care!

rb211.
Will100 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As Globaliser mentions, there are a lot of threads on first First so have a look and start looking forward to the experience! Just go there in a spirit of enjoying yourself rather than being the restaurant/theatre critic looking for something to tear apart and youll be fine. And also walk fast once you arrive at jfk to clear immigration quickly and make your way to t8.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i'd wager to say i think BA first is the best option to the US these days.

in addition to what others mention above, ensure to leave yourself a few hours in the CCR before to enjoy everthing, relax, dine in the dining area and have some champs or espresso martinins (im very basic).

on board, i have no qualms asking for whatever if you not offered, like slippers. but during the flight, depending on the crew who can sometimes retreat to the galleys, i have no issue with the call button--which i know has been a bit debated on here. but the point of the service is to provide you with whatever you need so long as you are not obnoxiously drunk lol.

oh and when you are ready to nap, be sure to ring that bell and ask for your bed to be made up which i do when i'm off to the loo....and enjoy!

i cant remember my first first but i do remember my first business on VS in the early 2000s when i was just out of uni and randomly upgraded at check in...it was the best experience ever...even though in hindsight it was a very mediocre seat but with endless wine and a massage therapist on board, it was wild to me!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:07 am

Have a BA175 before leaving the CCR. It's rocket fuel.

Use 'Millionaire's Door' to leave and return to the CCR. It's just a set of double doors that takes you to the exit of Fast Track security but convenient.

Walking the tunnels to T5B / T5C instead of getting the train helps waken you up a bit after you've indulged.

​​​​​
​​​​
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by VSLover
i'd wager to say i think BA first is the best option to the US these days.
I assume you mean direct flight? Or in general?

There is no comparison between BA F and LH/LX F.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ermis177
I assume you mean direct flight? Or in general?

There is no comparison between BA F and LH/LX F.
yep--UK to US i mean options are DIRE but i still enjoy my BA F experiences.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
* Eat in the CCR (or better yet, the Hinds Head or Waterside Inn in Bray, 20 mins away or the Tudor Room 10 mins away - all have stars). The simple fact is: a food cooked in a real kitchen with fresh ingredients on hand is going to better than anything prepared many hours in advance and reheated, no matter how lovingly made or expensive.

* The average retail price of the still wines served in F is about a tenner, versus LPGS at 80-100ish. I wish it were more evenly balanced, but BA are encouraging you to "stick with the fizz"

* Don't be afraid to ask about the various controls of the seat.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
* Eat in the CCR (or better yet, the Hinds Head or Waterside Inn in Bray, 20 mins away or the Tudor Room 10 mins away - all have stars). The simple fact is: a food cooked in a real kitchen with fresh ingredients on hand is going to better than anything prepared many hours in advance and reheated, no matter how lovingly made or expensive.

* The average retail price of the still wines served in F is about a tenner, versus LPGS at 80-100ish. I wish it were more evenly balanced, but BA are encouraging you to "stick with the fizz"

* Don't be afraid to ask about the various controls of the seat.
Good point on the wines. If you like champagne then you cannot go wrong with BA F. But there is usually one decent white burgundy and one decent Bordeaux which are more than passable for when you are champagned out.

As others have said - dont listen to the naysayers - they have legitimate but ultimately rather fussy complaints that are not necessarily relevant to someone doing it for the first time.

OP - you will have a great time - leave plenty of time for the CCR and take stock of your special check in, security and lounge environment. On the plane ask for everything you like and tell them its your First First. Youll have a great time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.