DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Old Feb 21, 22, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
I disagree this is DYKWIA and the response also sounds highly inappropriate. The priority boarding lane normally remains open for the duration of boarding, it’s not supposed to be a time limited offer …
It might be slightly DYKWIA to duck under a tensa, but that doesn't mean the lane should ever have been closed. I think the operative seems to have gone out of their way to antagonise premium customers there.
DelTroon likes this.
Old Feb 21, 22, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I'm a bit confused with this situation, as I'm not sure who is the DYKWIA here.

After escaping from the hell of MAN on the short hop back to LCY last weekend, fairly lightly loaded Club Europe, and fairly healthy load in ET.

I was sat in 2D (obviously, best seat in the house) and there was a guy in 1A, a chap behind me in 3C and then a guy in 4B. Prior to landing the crew made the announcement about staying seated when we had parked and they'd announce the rows to disembark. During the taxi the announcement/reminder was made again. And as we were doing the LCY spin into the parking spot a further quick reminder to stay seated following parking and await the row calling.

The second we'd stopped, and seat belt signs were off the fella in 4A was up, over head open putting on his coat and grabbing his bags. A further polite reminder over the PA did nothing to deter him and eventually a verbal reminder by the CC after walking up to him saw him sit down again.

When it was announced that rows 1-8 could now disembark, chap in 4A desperately tried to fly forwards but had his path blocked by myself and the chap in 1A. I may have taken slightly longer than necessary to put on my coat before descending onto the windy LCY apron, whilst the now-former occupant of 4A was huffing and puffing (desperate to get off and clamber onto the bus that would take all pax along to domestic arrivals) having managed to elbow his way past 3C who was trying to put on his coat whilst doubled up under the overheads as the aisle was blocked by 4A.
Old Feb 21, 22, 8:42 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
You may rest easy bhbloke, we find you are Not Guilty

(this time)
Old Feb 21, 22, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
You may rest easy bhbloke, we find you are Not Guilty

(this time)
Thank you m'lud, I doubted myself there for a while, but a jury of my peers has set my mind at rest.
Old Feb 27, 22, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Self reporting: « The queue is behind that lady », that not very charming lady in group 6* blockading the priority queue to those group 1 passengers said in the most passive aggressive way imaginable.

The others were willing to let her have her way and barring 5 groups from boarding but I was in a bad mood so just asked them if they would board as invited or if I should just go through. She was very unhappy and I’m feeling a bit mean and dykwia but so be it…

*I knew she was group 6 because she had just been turned away because the fate agent told her she was group 6 and they were only boarding group 1 for now so she should get a seat…
Vaclav, SKT-DK, antichef and 8 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 27, 22 at 6:20 am
Old Feb 27, 22, 7:40 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
"... the fate agent ..." told her she was group 6 …
Seems quite an appropriate typo
Old Feb 27, 22, 7:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You would have got more points if you had used the correct vernacular of “sorry love” as you pushed past
Old Feb 28, 22, 2:22 am

So I’m going to report myself here, although not sure I qualify.

LHR-LIS on 506 today. Both of us with the legal amount of HBO and I am Silver. Boarding in group 2.

At the gate, told that it’s a full flight and they will have our bags put in the hold. I wasn’t too happy with this as we want a quick getaway at LIS. I asked if we could keep them please and we’re told again that it’s full and they need space.

So, I asked what was the point in having status and qualifying for Group 2 boarding and being forced to have bags put in the hold? Why not get those who are on lower groups to have to do that?

They relented.

Was that unreasonable? I wasn’t rude, but I was ‘assertive’.
Old Feb 28, 22, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by PAL62V View Post
So I’m going to report myself here, although not sure I qualify.

LHR-LIS on 506 today. Both of us with the legal amount of HBO and I am Silver. Boarding in group 2.

At the gate, told that it’s a full flight and they will have our bags put in the hold. I wasn’t too happy with this as we want a quick getaway at LIS. I asked if we could keep them please and we’re told again that it’s full and they need space.

So, I asked what was the point in having status and qualifying for Group 2 boarding and being forced to have bags put in the hold? Why not get those who are on lower groups to have to do that?

They relented.

I have to admit I’ve done that. “Firstly I’m in Group 1, secondly I am in business, and thirdly I am Gold Guest List - I think you should go and talk to the folks over there [meaning who are not gate lice like me] first”. This has so far been effective. I admit this makes me a DYKWIA but really if there is someone who should be allowed to keep my one bag, given I pay for business, I think it probably should be me. So hang me now.

I guess I could have added “in 1A and Seq 001” but that really would have been showing off.

But seriously confiscating legal hand luggage from folks in business seems unreasonable.
Old Feb 28, 22, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by abligh View Post
But seriously confiscating legal hand luggage from folks in business seems unreasonable.
Completely, it should not happen to anyone in a priority queue, you would think... but gate agent types always seem to start at the start of the queue rather than the back.
PAL62V, ringingup, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 22, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by bhbloke View Post
I was sat in 2D (obviously, best seat in the house)
Big fan of row 2 ❤️
Old Feb 28, 22, 5:38 pm

They relented.

I was running late for a JFK-EZE flight on AA, gate was closing, and the gate agent kept me from getting on for a minute or two for this reason -- "flight's full, you have to check your bag! I can't let you on with that!" -- I was in business and I also was not rude, but I was very assertive. I just refused. I said that there was no way that there was no room for my bag in the whole business cabin. Eventually someone else forced him to relent, and of course when I got to my seat the whole compartment above my seat was completely empty.
Old Feb 28, 22, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

They relented.

I had similar a few years ago on Delta. Was a lightly loaded 757 and was boarding with Sky Priority. Was told that the overhead bins were full and that anything of rollerboard size would be gate checked....now I was flying to ATL and connecting, plus I had a pretty pricey rollerbag that I hadn't bought with the intention of checking it, other than perhaps planeside on regional jets.

The GA wasn't having any of it (wasn't just me wondering why this daft policy was in effect) and put gate check labels on everyone's larger bags. I ripped mine off on the jetbridge and walked right onto the plane. The overhead bins in all cabins (we boarded through 2L) were basically empty and I just put it in its appropriate place.
FlightDetective, PAL62V and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 1, 22, 2:08 am

Why on earth would gate agents who, presumably, of all people would know, that a plane is lightly loaded hence more than enough cabin storage claim they it’s full? More work for the gate check people at departure, and luggage unloading people at destination.
Old Mar 1, 22, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Why on earth would gate agents who, presumably, of all people would know, that a plane is lightly loaded hence more than enough cabin storage claim they it’s full? More work for the gate check people at departure, and luggage unloading people at destination.
It's a good question, and one that I frequently ask myself.

On my most recent flight, the gate agents repeatedly announced that the flight was extremely busy and asked for bags to be checked in. Just looking around the gate area, it seemed unlikely that the flight would be full, and so it turned out: a lightly-loaded plane and no shortage of locker space.

Search this Thread