Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
The main issue is that camera lens (especially so ones with several elements) show up "dark" in the X-ray, obscuring things behind it. In an otherwise empty carrying case, you probably wouldn't have anyone remove them separately, but in a big carry-on which is a mess with cables etc, it would give the screener a hard time to make out. It also depends on the angle, "lying horizontally" makes the lens easier to look through, whereas if you have them in a case where the lens are "upright", the X-ray has a hard time going through multiple lens elements. Hope that makes sense!
skipness1E and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Wrong topic 😱
SKT-DK, RB211 and YacozA like this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Feb 8, 2022 at 10:36 am
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I've had security personnel at many German airports watch me take lenses out, and tell me to put them back in the bag, only for the guy at the end to then admonish me for not removing them. It's not a rare occurrence either. I've asked teh guy at the start are they sure, and get told, yes put them back in - taking them out takes more time.
German security used to be by far the worst of securities I went through, way back before everyone cracked down. Shoes off, laptops open, powered on to show they weren't fake. Levels of checks not done nowadays. But if your laptop was out of battery then it wasn't going through with you. Lockerbie seemed to make them ultra careful about everything.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Smid
German security used to be by far the worst of securities I went through, way back before everyone cracked down. Shoes off, laptops open, powered on to show they weren't fake. Levels of checks not done nowadays. But if your laptop was out of battery then it wasn't going through with you. Lockerbie seemed to make them ultra careful about everything.
Germany used to have (not sure if that is still a thing) a destination risk based approach (mostly flying to the US/UK/Israel). On most flights that just meant stricter security, but with odd terminal layouts it was worse. Fondly remember the double security in FRA T1, where the Lufthansa flights to LCY required a second security screening before getting on the bus. Not sure if that was because Fraport didn't trust it's own initial security or if it was (more likely) because of mixed flow with connecting traffic from "sort-of-trustworthy-places" that was good enough for most destinations, but not the UK.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I keep coming here expecting to read some juicy DYKWIA tale but despite seeing new posts there's not a DYKWIA in sight
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I keep coming here expecting to read some juicy DYKWIA tale but despite seeing new posts there's not a DYKWIA in sight
Stop complaining, start delivering: What was your most DYKWIA moment?
noFODplease likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'll chuck one in, although with the caveat that the DYKWIA was delivered with some grace.

Flying out to Madrid in the front row of economy on an Iberia A330 at the middle doors, practically last to board was a floppy haired, older gentleman who looked around the economy cabin with some confusion and, in the manner of J R Hartley, asked if there might be an upgrade as he was a Premier with British Airways and it was all the same company.

The cabin crew was utterly bemused by this nice old chap but did help him find his seat, and, quickly realising that, while BA would definitely KWHI, Iberia was truly clueless, he let it drop immediately and went to his seat a few rows back.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cymro
I'll chuck one in, although with the caveat that the DYKWIA was delivered with some grace.

Flying out to Madrid in the front row of economy on an Iberia A330 at the middle doors, practically last to board was a floppy haired, older gentleman who looked around the economy cabin with some confusion and, in the manner of J R Hartley, asked if there might be an upgrade as he was a Premier with British Airways and it was all the same company.

The cabin crew was utterly bemused by this nice old chap but did help him find his seat, and, quickly realising that, while BA would definitely KWHI, Iberia was truly clueless, he let it drop immediately and went to his seat a few rows back.
No idea who this J R Hartley is, but that does not sound like a DYKWIA to me - more like a ‘anything you can do would be appreciated but of course I will accept my booked seat’. We have probably all been there
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

I think this was definitely a case of someone using "who he was" to try to get a better seat: in that sense, it was a DYKWIA move, but without the associated personality type of the people who are confused as to their own status (in the non-marketing sense of the word) and who tend to use the strategy. Instead, it was someone that BA at least definitely does care about.
CoweyB, mrow, yellow_peril and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro

At least is wasn't one of their A320 aircraft with no legroom in ecomony. I only endured that once from LHR-MAD (my "special" ticket was purchased for me by a Spanish trade body and was not able to be upgraded), subsequently I have paid them the difference to ensure I am booked on the BA 777 flight in CE. The difference in travelling conditions couldn't be bigger!
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
People not clearing their trays really annoys me and it always seems to be a bigger problem at fast track queues. I guess some people think they are too posh to stack.
Annoys me too, and my ocd makes me stack all the trays left behind by other people.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ms.O
Annoys me too, and my ocd makes me stack all the trays left behind by other people.
Same...the sight, sound, feeling of the trays backed up, knowing that it is clogging the egress of other trays from the scanner EATS at me.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI, VS
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
The staff there have clearly been on a training course at MAN...
MAN security is the gift that just keeps on giving, isn't it? Flew MAN-CPH last week but I think this time I was the one at fault.

Note to self: remove dog whistle from keys before travelling as it shows up like a bullet

T8191 likes this.

Last edited by allycat53; Feb 10, 2022 at 7:34 am Reason: crop photo
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by allycat53
MAN security is the gift that just keeps on giving, isn't it? Flew MAN-CPH last week but I think this time I was the one at fault.

Note to self: remove dog whistle from keys before travelling as it shows up like a bullet
I once emailed a photo of a similar key to a locksmith who cut it for me and posted it back. I suggest you blur your image.
alex67500 and allycat53 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Flying is back!

Anyone on this London-Turin flight last week? I wouldn’t want to cast aspersions, but I suspect this was more than polite reasonable requests if the pilot did indeed turn the plane around from taxiing. Either way, I do get some slight comfort that flying is well and truly back if actual DYKWIAs are happening. It’s been a while… (apologies for paywall)

Lawyer removed from plane in row over nanny being bumped to economy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0...de6a5bed1ede3d
flybymonkey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.