Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Self upgrader meets their match

worth a read
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:50 pm

I was in the Galleries South lounge a couple of weeks ago and witnessed something I’ve never seen before. A young lady had requested mobility assistance and soon after a guy turned up with a wheelchair for her. I kid you not, having managed perfectly well to get to the lounge unaided, she proceeded to place 3 designer duty free shopping bags on to the wheelchair and explain to the man that he’s to help her get to the departure gate.

I’d have told her where to go but the gentleman was far more professional and agreed to help her (despite looking baffled). They both walked off with the shopping on the wheelchair.

Now, she may have injured her arms pouring her champagne that I wasn’t aware of but it felt like a DYKWIA moment. Bizarre.
MaxFlyer, BravoKilo, T8191 and 9 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA CK, AI Platinum, BA Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by MH1981
I was in the Galleries South lounge a couple of weeks ago and witnessed something I’ve never seen before. A young lady had requested mobility assistance and soon after a guy turned up with a wheelchair for her. I kid you not, having managed perfectly well to get to the lounge unaided, she proceeded to place 3 designer duty free shopping bags on to the wheelchair and explain to the man that he’s to help her get to the departure gate.

I’d have told her where to go but the gentleman was far more professional and agreed to help her (despite looking baffled). They both walked off with the shopping on the wheelchair.

Now, she may have injured her arms pouring her champagne that I wasn’t aware of but it felt like a DYKWIA moment. Bizarre.
…and there I am thinking, that my mother, who is in her late 70s and who can barely walk a few feet without getting breathless, was struggling to get mobility assistance because, in exact words, “we are fully allocated to other customers”. Of course, not saying that this lady the reason, but there must be I’m sure, many who abuse the service in such a way. Apologies for the aggressive response, but this frustrates me beyond belief.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Red_01
…and there I am thinking, that my mother, who is in her late 70s and who can barely walk a few feet without getting breathless, was struggling to get mobility assistance because, in exact words, “we are fully allocated to other customers”. Of course, not saying that this lady the reason, but there must be I’m sure, many who abuse the service in such a way. Apologies for the aggressive response, but this frustrates me beyond belief.
I sympathise with your mothers situation but don’t shoot the messenger. I hope it’s clear in my post that I wasn’t in anyway condoning her behaviour.
KARFA and dougzz like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:54 pm

What was all the fuss about a few posts up about middle lane huggers? As soon as I get on a motorway I get into the fast lane and stay there. Simple.
mradey likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Greenpen
What was all the fuss about a few posts up about middle lane huggers? As soon as I get on a motorway I get into the fast lane and stay there. Simple.
I live in the US. Any lane goes
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Even if someone wishes to overtake you?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
She could have at least had the sense of propriety to sit in the chair and hold the bags herself.....yikes!!! Too bad I wasn't there or a scene might have erupted...this sort of thing gets me riled up!
AlanA likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Even if someone wishes to overtake you?
Once you're going 200 miles an hour there are only a few police cars trying to catch up.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:57 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by MH1981

sometimes things are not as they appear. Several years ago when travelling with my not so elderly husband we requested wheelchair assistance to get from the gate to the aircraft.At this point he was awaiting a double hip replacement and could barely a few steps let alone get to the gate unassisted. We got such looks from other pax assuming he was trying it on to get first boarding. Problem was he looked too fit. said next time I would add some deathly white foundation to his face in order to appear more I’ll! Luckily the operation was a success and he is back to his usual mobile self.
GadgetGal and bambinomartino like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fdem
sometimes things are not as they appear. Several years ago when travelling with my not so elderly husband we requested wheelchair assistance to get from the gate to the aircraft.At this point he was awaiting a double hip replacement and could barely a few steps let alone get to the gate unassisted. We got such looks from other pax assuming he was trying it on to get first boarding. Problem was he looked too fit. said next time I would add some deathly white foundation to his face in order to appear more I’ll! Luckily the operation was a success and he is back to his usual mobile self.
to be fair, most of the time things are exactly as they appear
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
"DYKWIA" blogger or AITA?

On a recent LHR-JFK, I was bumped to First at check-in.
I was looking forward to the extra space, improved catering, some quiet time and a generally more pleasant travel experience.
However, I had the dubious pleasure of sharing a flight with a UK-based professional blogger for one of the larger points sites* and presumably a travel buddy/companion.
They succeeded in monopolising cabin staff for much of the flight, who also seemed quite happy to fawn over them and satisfy their every request for every service/option available.
However, while they were not unduly loud (and I donned headphones at the first opportunity), they succeeded in disturbing me with their various requests, to- and fro-ing between seats and what seemed to be a general inability to actually relax.
I have no way of knowing if they announced their identity/role, which may have generated that level of response from the crew, and also a visit from the CSD who was happy to chat with them for an extended period.

I am fully aware that, yes, it's public transport and yes, hell is other people.
So my question is were they really being DYKWIA or, in Reddit terms, AITA?

(*For avoidance of doubt, it wasn't HeadForPoints.)
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by geronimo
"DYKWIA" blogger or AITA?

On a recent LHR-JFK, I was bumped to First at check-in.
I was looking forward to the extra space, improved catering, some quiet time and a generally more pleasant travel experience.
However, I had the dubious pleasure of sharing a flight with a UK-based professional blogger for one of the larger points sites* and presumably a travel buddy/companion.
They succeeded in monopolising cabin staff for much of the flight, who also seemed quite happy to fawn over them and satisfy their every request for every service/option available.
However, while they were not unduly loud (and I donned headphones at the first opportunity), they succeeded in disturbing me with their various requests, to- and fro-ing between seats and what seemed to be a general inability to actually relax.
I have no way of knowing if they announced their identity/role, which may have generated that level of response from the crew, and also a visit from the CSD who was happy to chat with them for an extended period.

I am fully aware that, yes, it's public transport and yes, hell is other people.
So my question is were they really being DYKWIA or, in Reddit terms, AITA?

(*For avoidance of doubt, it wasn't HeadForPoints.)
I might know who they were - maybe The Points Guy UK?

That said, as long as they were not loud, I wouldn't have had any problems. Also consider they might have Gold/GGL status so the extra attentions from the crew and IFM are somehow legit.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Looks up IATA...

Ha
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by fdem
I am that guy who would mouth off in these situations. Heck, I scold my own kids when they press the button for those handicapped electric door openers. Just be thankful you have two legs and two arms that work reasonably well.

Recently I saw a strapping young man climb into his seriously lifted pickup truck which he had parked in a handicapped spot. As I was about to say something, his pantleg rides up, revealing a prosthesis.
janehoya and EDIwanderer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.