Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues

I guess we’re well OT now.
Indeed.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Much of the A1 North of Baldock has 2 lanes and no hard shoulder. I've been driving up and down it for 20 years without incident. You have to drive to the conditions and expect the unexpected. And the bends driving North towards Black Cat roundabout that cannot be taken at the speed limit makes any motorway bend look like a ruler.
But that’s an A road not a motorway. I’ve travelled north on the A1 a couple of times in recent months and it’s not good in places but we are not expecting a motorway.
In the UK we used to know what a motorway was - hard shoulder, long slip roads, no stopping except in an emergency, only certain classes of vehicle allowed etc. Taking away the hard shoulder makes things very different.
Anyway that’s my rants for the day done. I now need to go and prepare for a very long motorway drive!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I must have taken a wrong turn, I could have sworn the title said this was the DYKWIA thread, not the road safety thread?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I must have taken a wrong turn, I could have sworn the title said this was the DYKWIA thread, not the road safety thread?
Well if you have indeed taken a wrong turn, then perhaps a road safety thread is exactly what you're after
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
It's now the DYKWIAGD thread (Do You Know Who Is A Good Driver).
SKT-DK and DelTroon like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
There must be some DYKWIA behaviour out there atm?

Any spots of that interesting creature the retired military officer accompanied by his CINC-NAG-HOME? getting red in the face and huffing and puffing that things are “ridiculous!”

EDIT: Not you Uncle T!
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by krispy84
There must be some DYKWIA behaviour out there atm?

Any spots of that interesting creature the retired military officer accompanied by his CINC-NAG-HOME? getting red in the face and huffing and puffing that things are “ridiculous!”

EDIT: Not you Uncle T!
hahaha ... Thanks f0r the Edit ... just in time!!
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I think with the chaos at the moment in Heathrow it's more Do You Know Where You And The Rest Of This Plane Is Going To Stay The Night behaviour....
efincomputer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:44 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Deleted. Going too far off-topic
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
The other evening I was heading back to LCY from BHD with Jasper (my PA), everyone was nicely lined up downstairs waiting to board apart from this one chap to the side leaning up against the wall. Once boarding started and the queue began to move this aforementioned individual had the sheer audacity to just push into the queue ensuring people could see his boarding pass, Jasper pointed out to him there was a line to which he replied "its one of the perks of his status". What goes through some peoples minds that this would be acceptable is beyond me.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
The other evening I was heading back to LCY from BHD with Jasper (my PA), everyone was nicely lined up downstairs waiting to board apart from this one chap to the side leaning up against the wall. Once boarding started and the queue began to move this aforementioned individual had the sheer audacity to just push into the queue ensuring people could see his boarding pass, Jasper pointed out to him there was a line to which he replied "its one of the perks of his status". What goes through some peoples minds that this would be acceptable is beyond me.
And the perk is to be able to waddle through a queue of people?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

to which he replied "its one of the perks of his status". What goes through some peoples minds that this would be acceptable is beyond me.
I suspect it's a common phenomena.
wrp96 and TarquinMontague like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I suspect it's a common phenomena.
Or even phenomenon.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Unless you've flown out of LCY a bit, the number of people eligible for priority boarding can be a shock. A gold card holder used to flying routes without many status passengers could easily see the giant queue and conclude that couldn't possibly be the priority queue they're eligible for, and then push past what they think are chancers and gate lice to.

If you've flown from LCY a bit, and/or someone's pointed out that the giant priority queue really is all gold cards and club europe, then pushing through all the other priority people is DYKWIA

(I say that as someone who got shouted at asking staff to let me push into a 200m long queue for priority security at Berlin last month, on the grounds that it clearly couldn't be all priority and still that long. Turns out that half the queue didn't have priority and really were in the wrong place, but there was also a huge huge number of very grumpy priority people....)
T8191, firstlight, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
A funny one which I could predict way before it happened tonight.

We arrived for the delayed 756 to BSL tonight. Half the flight (slight exaggeration) were gate checking their bags. The pen for priority boarding was closed off, but there was an obvious queue building in front of it. A couple arrives and the woman almost waved her boarding pass around for all to see, pointing group 1 to her husband, trying to look around at other people's passes to check where they "belonged". Obviously unacceptable to her, there are about 10-15 people in front of her.

Fast forward 20 minutes and the families are called forward. Once she sees the last stroller out of the groups 4-9 queue, she shoots forward to be first on, waving her husband to follow. Sadly, it worked, they got on straight away. The rest of group 1 was called about the same time, and we're finally on our way (about 1 hour late).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.