Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by navylad
BA1405 MAN-LHR. Inbound flight arrived 8 minutes late due to a go-around thanks to the weather today.

[...]
Quote cut for brevity.

Some people need to behave this way. It's a mystery to me as to why one would do it, for it doesn't seem to be helping them much, mustn't be good on their coronaries and it's not as if they enjoy it but... Still, they do. I had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with one such gentleman a while back, when that famous "squirrel" (I think it was some other kind of rodent) got fried inside T3's Integrated Baggage system, thus bringing down the T3-T5 tunnel and causing all sort of knock-on effects on T5. It was my monthly week of "on-hand" duty so I went over to the terminal to help the front of house, where I met this particular guy. He was travelling to Malaga, or Alicante, or some other Spanish seaside place where the UK exports retirees, and had a small rollaboard he wished to check-in. There were about 4hrs before his flight and I notified him that, due to the situation, we had a strict 2hr limit on checking bags.

I listened for about 15 minutes as he repeated that this wasn't good enough, and that he wanted to "browse the shops" and "enjoy supper" in the lounge. I think he repeated that the wished to browse the shops and enjoy supper a good dozen times. I can still see him in front of me, with his tiny rollaboard, v-neck jumper, beige shirt and pressed trousers. He had none of the reasons I gave him for the issue, just kept repeating that it wasn't good enough, and what I was going to do about it. I suggested the arrivals lounge (which had been opened on purpose), Carluccio's, the pub or if he wanted food poisoning I could've bought him the staff canteen curry. "Not good enough".

Eventually I had a brainwave and said that, since his bag was rather minuscule, if there wasn't anything that needed to be checked in, he could've gone through security straight away. "Not good enough". He wanted to make use of the "baggage valeting service" (duh?) included in the ticket he'd purchased. He stood there for two hours, in the departure concourse, waiting for the exact time to drop off his teeny tiny bag.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
A first for me this morning, heading through the first wing there was quite a pile up of empty trays which hadn’t been cleared. Individual in front of me starts clicking at the staff hinting for them to sort it out, wouldn’t be an issue if everyone just took responsibility for their trays.
People not clearing their trays really annoys me and it always seems to be a bigger problem at fast track queues. I guess some people think they are too posh to stack.
dcmike, MaxFlyer, mrow and 17 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I found the best way to deal with these types of people is to listen, never interrupt and wait for them to run out of steam, smile and give them my answer, listen again as they go on and on and give the same answer, eventually they realise I’m not going to budge.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
A first for me this morning, heading through the first wing there was quite a pile up of empty trays which hadn’t been cleared. Individual in front of me starts clicking at the staff hinting for them to sort it out, wouldn’t be an issue if everyone just took responsibility for their trays.
Mr OtH would like to apologise to those users of TFW who were delayed this morning by his having placed a powerbank and mobile together in a pocket of his carry-on, apparently necessitating a complete shutdown of the left-hand belt for at least 15 minutes while a manager was called to verify that the X-ray image did indeed resemble a powerbank plus mobile and the bag could thus be released for secondary search...

Anyway, DH reports that he remained calm throughout this rather silly episode, though a couple of nearby pots were close to boiling over

It seems the food & wine subsequently in the CCR were "nice enough" - I will leave it to him to provide a full report in due course...
wrp96 and TrainDriverSparky like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Mr OtH would like to apologise to those users of TFW who were delayed this morning by his having placed a powerbank and mobile together in a pocket of his carry-on, apparently necessitating a complete shutdown of the left-hand belt for at least 15 minutes while a manager was called to verify that the X-ray image did indeed resemble a powerbank plus mobile and the bag could thus be released for secondary search
This happened to me in TFW. Apparently, when viewed on the scanner, a zoom lens for a camera looks the same as a detonator. Everybody and their dog was called to look at the screen. What surprised me is that it took the staff a good 5 minutes to confer with me over what they could see allowing me to describe the lens. At this, I was permitted to open the bag for them to all breathe a sigh of relief. Lens now goes in my checked bag or taken out of the bag and placed in a separate tray..

It was all good natured and at no point was I made to feel like a terrorist. A great deal of apologising from the team leader, which was not required.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
This happened to me in TFW. Apparently, when viewed on the scanner, a zoom lens for a camera looks the same as a detonator. Everybody and their dog was called to look at the screen. What surprised me is that it took the staff a good 5 minutes to confer with me over what they could see allowing me to describe the lens. At this, I was permitted to open the bag for them to all breathe a sigh of relief. Lens now goes in my checked bag or taken out of the bag and placed in a separate tray..

It was all good natured and at no point was I made to feel like a terrorist. A great deal of apologising from the team leader, which was not required.
How can the two look the same on X-ray? One does have to wonder…

Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68

Used to get this a lot as I always travel with an Nikon DSLR and zoom lense.
Best practice through learning the hard way, is that anything electronic comes out and goes on a separate tray, that's Digital SLR Camera and 400mm lense, iPhone and anything else. Now they say you don't need to but I already have a separate tray for liquids so one tray obvious of "high risk of being secondary searched items" worked very well for me. It's not the items themseleves per se that's suspiscious, it's being in a bag packed has them out of context for the human operator, try and make is super easy for them IMHO and you'll be through in a flash, grab your second tray off the belt and repack at your leisure.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
At LHR T5 back in 2013 and the early days of electronic cigarettes when most people hadn't seen them - I had an extremely large one in my bag and partly dismantled to take up less space. The lane was shut down for a few minutes with many people around the screen. It turned out that in this case my cigarette looked like a hand gun (rectangular tank for handle and long cylindrical battery for barrel) and once the bag was opened everyone was very relieved. As long as I used it after that I made sure it was separately out of my bag. Certainly my most eventful trip through security.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Mr OtH would like to apologise to those users of TFW who were delayed this morning by his having placed a powerbank and mobile together in a pocket of his carry-on, apparently necessitating a complete shutdown of the left-hand belt for at least 15 minutes while a manager was called to verify that the X-ray image did indeed resemble a powerbank plus mobile and the bag could thus be released for secondary search....
I had something similar 3 or 4 years back at ABZ, when a few usb leads and a Tesco Coffee Madeira cake apparently resembles plastic explosives and a detonator.
DocWatson and LancashireFlyer like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The item that gets my bag pulled at many a US security checkpoint is Clif Bars. What I see as an emergency nutrition food apparently can look like a hunk of plastique explosive on the scanner.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The item that gets my bag pulled at many a US security checkpoint is Clif Bars. What I see as an emergency nutrition food apparently can look like a hunk of plastique explosive on the scanner.
TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ms/solid-foods
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
As a medical student I was going from BHD to LHR with a half skeleton in a brown box donated to me by a doctor friend (for my anatomy lessons of course). Now this was 1988 and BHD had much more tight security than most airports at the time but the scanners operator's face was a picture.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:55 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Best practice through learning the hard way, is that anything electronic comes out and goes on a separate tray, that's Digital SLR Camera and 400mm lense, iPhone and anything else. Now they say you don't need to but I already have a separate tray for liquids so one tray obvious of "high risk of being secondary searched items" worked very well for me. It's not the items themseleves per se that's suspiscious, it's being in a bag packed has them out of context for the human operator, try and make is super easy for them IMHO and you'll be through in a flash, grab your second tray off the belt and repack at your leisure.
I've had security personnel at many German airports watch me take lenses out, and tell me to put them back in the bag, only for the guy at the end to then admonish me for not removing them. It's not a rare occurrence either. I've asked teh guy at the start are they sure, and get told, yes put them back in - taking them out takes more time.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I've had security personnel at many German airports watch me take lenses out, and tell me to put them back in the bag, only for the guy at the end to then admonish me for not removing them. It's not a rare occurrence either. I've asked teh guy at the start are they sure, and get told, yes put them back in - taking them out takes more time.
The staff there have clearly been on a training course at MAN...
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Must be a Nikon thing….never happened to me carrying three canon zooms in one carry on suitcase, which I do three times per year!
spursdebs and skipness1E like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.