Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2022 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Yes. Each member must have some activity but it doesn’t have to be flying. In addition, if the HHA has at least one member with BA status then the avios of all members do not expire.
For more information, the Guide to Household Accounts can be found here:
Your guide to Household Accounts
Thank you for your answer. Im currently Blue member, does this count as having a status so the avios don't expire? Do you know can i gift 1000 avios to the member of my HHA which miles are about to expire?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Thank you for your answer. Im currently Blue member, does this count as having a status so the avios don't expire? Do you know can i gift 1000 avios to the member of my HHA which miles are about to expire?
BA status is gold, silver, or bronze; blue is just a member of BAEC.

Iirc, I don’t believe that a transfer between members of the HHA will work. The easiest thing is just to do a redemption; otherwise can you purchase something from the BA Estore?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
BA status is gold, silver, or bronze; blue is just a member of BAEC.

Iirc, I don’t believe that a transfer between members of the HHA will work. The easiest thing is just to do a redemption; otherwise can you purchase something from the BA Estore?
Many thanks! Problem is that i have quite a lot of miles and TP's but i haven't flown BA/IB so i haven't got my status upgraded. I can't login behalf of my EX-wife (whose miles are about to expire) for understandable reasons so i can't buy anything from E-store. Is there any way to check when the miles are expiring other than her to login with her account?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I'm somewhat confused about the following:

As far as the tier point collection year, it now ends next February 2023. Does this mean I will only have 6 months to gather tier points thereafter (until August 2023)? Or does my collection year end now every February going forward (until February 2024)?

The BA site does not explicitly mention this particular situation, with a join date in July.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Spanish
As far as the tier point collection year, it now ends next February 2023. Does this mean I will only have 6 months to gather tier points thereafter (until August 2023)? Or does my collection year end now every February going forward (until February 2024)?

The BA site does not explicitly mention this particular situation, with a join date in July.
The join date is no longer relevant. Your collection year will now end on 8 February every year.

It looks like you are Silver until 31 March 2024, whether or not you fly in the current year (2022/23). If you want to be Silver beyond 31 March 2024, then you will need to earn 600 TPs between 9 February 2023 and 8 February 2024 (assuming no more "emergency rules").
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The join date is no longer relevant. Your collection year will now end on 8 February every year.

It looks like you are Silver until 31 March 2024, whether or not you fly in the current year (2022/23). If you want to be Silver beyond 31 March 2024, then you will need to earn 600 TPs between 9 February 2023 and 8 February 2024 (assuming no more "emergency rules").
Thank you, Globaliser, for such a clear & concise explanation of this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:00 pm

Looking to resume flying soon, but not sure about tier points and eligible flight for status as it relates to IAG's Level operation. I know that an IB flight operated by Level earns nothing. But a search on google flights had the opposite, Iberia Premium Economy Airbus A330 IB 2628, plane and crew by Iberia for Level Spain. Since it is an IB flight number and is operated by IB, one might assume that it qualifies as earning TP's and eligible flights. Yes or no?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Told by phone today by IB handling agent that no free seating is available for BAEC members with OWE status on Air Nostrum domestic flights within Spain until 24h before departure. Before this you must pay ŁŁŁ .. this was news to me as I have only bought connecting tickets before from London and had free seat selection from booking.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I think that works on codeshares, but not on their prime flights...
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
I think that works on codeshares, but not on their prime flights...
yeah that’s interesting as I’ve never bought a ticket from London to Almeria via Madrid as a codeshare because frankly they’re never available for sale via the BA app .. I always buy via Iberia, on their metal too, and have previously selected seats for free on both legs. I bought a ticket with Air Nostrum last autumn from Almeria to Seville and could select a seat for free.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I have what I hope is a quick question about household accounts.

I am a mere BAEC Blue, and I amass Avios through supermarket spend, which I then put to solo Reward Flight Savers.

I'm taking the family on a trip to Egypt in the autumn, paying cash, and obviously I'll claim the Avios for my ticket.

What I'm wondering is, if I set up a household account with the wife and kids in it as well as me, are there any disadvantages in pooling points this way given my redemption preferences?

Would I be able to transfer all the Avios in the account to Aer Lingus, Iberia or Qatar if I so wished? Would I be able to convert them all back to Nectar, or indeed would putting our points into a household account stop all of these methods of redeeming?

Last edited by DeeGee26.2; Feb 23, 2022 at 7:46 am
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Quick question, I have a flight on the day my membership years ends. Would this flight post in my old year or my new year? Since being posted the day after, thus in the new year. Should not really matter since I will make my renewing threshold the year before, but might impact upgrading my status (if I would like to, depending on how close I get).
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Erwin10
I have a flight on the day my membership years ends. Would this flight post in my old year or my new year?
A flight taken on the 8th of the month (local scheduled date and time) will count in the old year even if it doesn't actually post until the new year has started.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
I have what I hope is a quick question about household accounts.

I am a mere BAEC Blue, and I amass Avios through supermarket spend, which I then put to solo Reward Flight Savers.

I'm taking the family on a trip to Egypt in the autumn, paying cash, and obviously I'll claim the Avios for my ticket.

What I'm wondering is, if I set up a household account with the wife and kids in it as well as me, are there any disadvantages in pooling points this way given my redemption preferences?

Would I be able to transfer all the Avios in the account to Aer Lingus, Iberia or Qatar if I so wished? Would I be able to convert them all back to Nectar, or indeed would putting our points into a household account stop all of these methods of redeeming?
In household accounts you earn Avios and TP individually but when spending the Avios are deducted from each member account in proportion to the overall balance in the account regardless of who redeems. So if you start with 20k Avios and your trip to Egypt earns 4k Avios each (figures are just for illustration and assume two adults and two kids ) after the trip the household balance would be 36k Avios but the individual balances would be you 24k, and wife and 2 kids 4k each. If you then redeem 4k Avios for Nectar points the household balance afterwards would be 32k but individually you would have 21.333k and wife and kids would hsve 3.56k each. If your wife redeemed for a flight individually for herself your individual balance would be affected. Overall I think it's worth having a household account but you also need to be aware of restrictions on who you can redeem for outside your friends and family list.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:25 am

Desperate to get to Gold so that we can start using some of the ridiculous number of AmEx points we have on flights for the family.

While we will be happy to use the "double Avios" option for flights to force seats open, am I correct in thinking that GGL "jokers" force the seats open for the standard amount of Avios?

If China was to reopen then it would be very simple to do this using Qatar for business travel, but no idea when that will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.