Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2022 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I received notice that my Avios will expire in 12 months. I understand that to preserve them I need to either spend some or earn more. Question: if I spend by flying do I need to fly within the 12 months or can I book within the 12 months for a flight that goes after the 12 months?

Thanks …
If you are talking about redeeming Avios for a reward flight, I expect that the act of redeeming is sufficient to extend the expiration date of your Avios, regardless of flight date.

But if you are eligible, why not just take a survey at

https://www.rewardsforthoughts.com/about
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: VFF BAECBlue PCPlatinum Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I received notice that my Avios will expire in 12 months. I understand that to preserve them I need to either spend some or earn more. Question: if I spend by flying do I need to fly within the 12 months or can I book within the 12 months for a flight that goes after the 12 months?

Thanks …
Just buy something on their Shops Away portal - counts as 'activity
'

Last edited by CONCORDE1969; Jul 26, 2022 at 10:22 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BA bucket and spade Gold
I'm looking to book Buisness Light flights to Helsinki from Heathrow direct with Finnair as they're half the price of booking with BA, but would be very grateful if someone could confirm that this would earn 80 tier points each way. I did look at flying from Barcelona as an alternative but think I would only earn 40 tier points each way? Thank you in advance
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jeffek
I'm looking to book Buisness Light flights to Helsinki from Heathrow direct with Finnair as they're half the price of booking with BA, but would be very grateful if someone could confirm that this would earn 80 tier points each way. I did look at flying from Barcelona as an alternative but think I would only earn 40 tier points each way? Thank you in advance
Yes UK-HEL routes all earn at the short haul + rate of 80 TPs one way in J.

All other routes are 40 TPs unless over 2000 miles when they should earn long haul TPs.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes UK-HEL routes all earn at the short haul + rate of 80 TPs one way in J.

All other routes are 40 TPs unless over 2000 miles when they should earn long haul TPs.
Just UK-HEL will get you 160 TP for return flight? Is this some promo deal or why is that? There are for sure longer trips in J for just 40TP.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by casey89
Just UK-HEL will get you 160 TP for return flight? Is this some promo deal or why is that? There are for sure longer trips in J for just 40TP.
Yes, so BA has their own short haul + routes which earn 80 TPs. These are generally routes over around 1100 miles, but there isn't a clear threshold.

Outside that there is a joint business agreement on the UK-HEL routes so BA flights (before they stopped in 2020) and AY flights earn 80 TPs. Other than that I think the same situation exist for UK to Morocco routes with RAM. There are exceptions to the norm, the norm being non BA flights get either 40 or 140 TPs and not short haul +.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BA bucket and spade Gold
From my long-time lurking, I had noticed that many expert FT-ers had included this trip as part of a tier-point run - especially in the good ole days when BA operated flights there. And a big thank you from me, KARFA, for your quick reply. And another to the FT hero(oine)s who set up the wiki in the first place
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am currently Silver and my collection year ended on 8th July. I had sufficient tier points to re qualify but only 3 qualifying BA flights. I then flew BA on 13th July. This flight has been added to my new collection year. Does the two week grace period apply in this instance. BAEC Silver line proved of no use in answering my enquiry.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Horshamflyer
I am currently Silver and my collection year ended on 8th July. I had sufficient tier points to re qualify but only 3 qualifying BA flights. I then flew BA on 13th July. This flight has been added to my new collection year. Does the two week grace period apply in this instance. BAEC Silver line proved of no use in answering my enquiry.
How many TP do you have? 450 or the usual threshold of 600? The two week grace period will most likely not work if you only have 450TP. It is a case of either or but not both. That said you can always ask and you might be lucky and be renewed anyway but I wouldn't expect it.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I have an old Avios account with a negligible amount of lifetime TP and Avios in it (89!) because I drained it a while back. Current expiry month is June. I have 2 trips in December & March coming up that will put me at Silver.

Can I just create a new Avios account in early December and thus extend my status by more than half a year and just use the new number/account going forward? Do I need to close my old account somehow first, otherwise BA will get upset?
Quoting myself just to see if anyone has any experience! Otherwise I'll probably just do it and see what happens.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:29 am

I have over 600. I shall have to try BAEC again and hope that I get a more amenable agent.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Horshamflyer
I have over 600. I shall have to try BAEC again and hope that I get a more amenable agent.
You should have no problem, just make sure you are talking to BAEC and not a booking agent.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:11 pm

Thanks. I will.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Quoting myself just to see if anyone has any experience! Otherwise I'll probably just do it and see what happens.
Can I just create a new Avios account in early December and thus extend my status by more than half a year and just use the new number/account going forward? Do I need to close my old account somehow first, otherwise BA will get upset?

You cannot have two accounts open at the same time. You will have to close your existing account and then open a new one. Not sure how you actually close the account, but i assume writing to BAEC would work.

But if you upgrade to Silver midway through your year you will be Silver for the remainder of your year plus the whole of the next year so you will have 15 months of Silver anyway.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:11 am

Hello,

I usually retain Silver with eligible flights, not tier points. Has anybody noticed that the reduced eligible flights has changed from 37 back to the pre covid 50? Tier points haven't changed from 450 though Showing for me on the app and ba.com however no emails confirming the change. Does anyone else have the same or is it an error? Bit harsh changing the goalposts when they said the reduced requirements would last till Dec 22?!

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.