How to book new Airbus from LAX to LHR

Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

How to book new Airbus from LAX to LHR

I recently flew from LAX to LHR - return. The plane going out was frightening. Honestly, I don't know how that thing stayed up in the air. I decided there and then, I was done with BA (after 12 years). I just didn't feel safe. (Business class) and not spending that money any more since wasn't worth it.

On the flight back, there was a mix up so they had to get a bigger plane since the previous flight was cancelled. Anyhoo, this plane was the NEW Airbus. Beautiful! Sturdy. Clean. Privacy. Little door on the side. Luxury. Exactly what I paid for.

So my question is - how can I make sure, if I book on BA that I fly on the new plane as opposed to the tin can that they really, really need to retire (seriously, BA retire these pieces of crap!)
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:37 pm

Is this a joke?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by toop28
I recently flew from LAX to LHR - return. The plane going out was frightening. Honestly, I don't know how that thing stayed up in the air. I decided there and then, I was done with BA (after 12 years). I just didn't feel safe. (Business class) and not spending that money any more since wasn't worth it.

On the flight back, there was a mix up so they had to get a bigger plane since the previous flight was cancelled. Anyhoo, this plane was the NEW Airbus. Beautiful! Sturdy. Clean. Privacy. Little door on the side. Luxury. Exactly what I paid for.

So my question is - how can I make sure, if I book on BA that I fly on the new plane as opposed to the tin can that they really, really need to retire (seriously, BA retire these pieces of crap!)
what a very strange post
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

What was frightening about it?
Which bit didn't feel safe?
I'm going to leave it there for now.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:50 pm

So my question is - how can I make sure, if I book on BA that I fly on the new plane as opposed to the tin can that they really, really need to retire...
Become a pilot, only rated for "the NEW Airbus!"

rb211.
Blenheim, mustafina, AJA_ and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:51 pm

More serious answer: you cannot!

rb211.
orbitmic and Globaliser like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Interesting how PAX perceive that a worn out interior on a plane could relate to safety. After a cabin refit I'm sure the OP wouldn't complain about safety.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Dec 27, 2021 at 6:49 pm
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Goodbye cruel airline!

Wait, I didn’t mean it.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Presumably this is contrasting the earlier and later BA flights, (268 vs 280), the earlier of which is a B777, the latter an A380 - these are the scheduled aircraft for this route at the moment - and as such, change over time. (I.e. BA didn't put on a larger aircraft - it was scheduled). Of course, it could also be that the OP had the AA code share outbound, so without further details, who knows. Besides, I'm sure that all the pax had the same level of safety as those in business class.
Sweeping aside the experience and coming back around to the OPs original question, the (scheduled) aircraft type can usually be found on the booking (either at the time of booking, or under your itinerary), on expertflyer, or flightware - although subject to change.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
At the risk of swimming against the tide, for a lot of people the interior of an plane is what they judge the aircraft on. If they end up on an old-ish 777-200 with old, dormitory Club, old IFE and no Wifi, they might conclude that no part of the aircraft has had much love in recent times, and that may not sit well with a nervous flyer.

The OP may or may not have been writing tongue in cheek, but I certainly know people for whom that would be the case. Personally I have avoided BA Club as a solo traveller for a number of years, not for aircraft safety reasons, I trust BA on that, but for customer experience reasons, sitting face to face with a stranger, stepping over etc... I would certainly love to be able to guarantee a Club Suite flight - my next has just changed from that, and so I'll be rebooking on AA.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
As far as I know the new airbus with doors in business is the a350 which doesn’t fly to lax. The only airbus to lax is the a380 which has dormitory style Cluw World and certainly no suites with doors
Deckter likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:52 pm

Perhaps the OP flew to LAX on one of the 5 777-300ER’s that has CS?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:59 pm

Hi there!

Trying not to be as sarcastic as the other posters... But the fact is, you didn't fly on the "new" Airbus on your way back.

LAX is served by two kinds of aircrafts by BA right now: one is an A380, the other is a 777-300ER. The A380s don't have the newest Club product, called Club Suite, whereas some of the 777-300ER do. Refits are ongoing. Chances are that on your first flight you flew on a non-refitted 77W and on the way back you lucked out.

The airplanes are exactly the same. The oldest 77W in BA's fleet is about 11 years old and, believe me, they're not unsafe. There is a fundamental difference between the airworthiness of the airframe and the conditions of the interiors. BA has always sucked at cabin cleanliness and maintenance but they will never fly an unsafe aircraft.

Now, to the question, how do you book the "right" plane? Well, the short answer is that you can't. Right now not all the fleet has the new product, because a) it takes time and b) it costs a LOT of money. For instance, Air France still has some of the old angled-lie flat seats around and they started retrofit a good 5 years ago. The one way of minimising the risk is, when you buy a ticket, to select the option of paying/selecting for your seat. If the cabin you see is in 1-2-1 configuration, then it's new Club. But bear in mind that aircraft changes do occur on a regular basis!
becks1, toop28, trooper and 3 others like this.

Last edited by 13901; Dec 28, 2021 at 1:38 pm Reason: corrected age
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I find people's answer to the OP a bit tough. Sure the style of his/her post is hyperbolic, but that's not as if this was unusual on this forum, and this is a someone with just a few posts, so I think it is a good idea to be a bit more gentle?

Ultimately, whether the OP would much prefer an A380 to one of the old cabin 777s (I sure would too), or a Club Suite plane to an old J one (again, count me in), those are not illegitimate feelings, but sadly, his/her question is an easy one to answer: you cannot be sure of what plane you'll be flying, especially if booking quite a bit ahead of time (if you book for a flight in a week or two, just check what plane it is on the BA website, including seat map if a 777, and it has a reasonably good chance of staying that way by the time you fly albeit without certainty. If any further than that, well...). However, as more and more of the 777s are undergoing cabin refit with new Club Suites, the chances of flying an aircraft which will feel fresh in J keep increasing over time (at least for flights to/from LHR). And as others mentioned, all BA (and for that matter all major airlines)' planes undergo the same maintenance and safety checks regardless of how ageing the inside might feel. By far the oldest planes in BA's fleet - the 744s, have now been retired (to the sadness of many of us) and the current fleet is by no means old nor dangerous.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I find people's answer to the OP a bit tough. Sure the style of his/her post is hyperbolic, but that's not as if this was unusual on this forum, and this is a someone with just a few posts, so I think it is a good idea to be a bit more gentle?

Ultimately, whether the OP would much prefer an A380 to one of the old cabin 777s (I sure would too), or a Club Suite plane to an old J one (again, count me in), those are not illegitimate feelings, but sadly, his/her question is an easy one to answer: you cannot be sure of what plane you'll be flying, especially if booking quite a bit ahead of time (if you book for a flight in a week or two, just check what plane it is on the BA website, including seat map if a 777, and it has a reasonably good chance of staying that way by the time you fly albeit without certainty. If any further than that, well...). However, as more and more of the 777s are undergoing cabin refit with new Club Suites, the chances of flying an aircraft which will feel fresh in J keep increasing over time (at least for flights to/from LHR). And as others mentioned, all BA (and for that matter all major airlines)' planes undergo the same maintenance and safety checks regardless of how ageing the inside might feel. By far the oldest planes in BA's fleet - the 744s, have now been retired (to the sadness of many of us) and the current fleet is by no means old nor dangerous.

I would agree with your post. I think we should not forget that I would say 95% of travellers are not FlyerTalkers and 80% of pax cannot distinguish a 777 from a 350 (maybe an 380 from a 747 - my wife can't).

If OP was travelling on an old school 777 with a IFE screen which reminds me to first my first Atari and if the plane has shown the 'cleaning' we've seen so often with BA, I would not be surprised that the plane has been categorised as old. And that 'old' is linked to 'dangerous' shouldn't be uncommon if judged by someone who isn't an avgeek/ frequent flyer/ etc.

For the OP it's worth to point out that LH has quite a track record flying 25 year old A320s around (ok, their cabin looks normally better than a BA A320 which is 10 years old) and I think we can criticise a lot when it comes to BA, but if anything I would not doubt their safety culture and maintenance.
toop28, orbitmic and becks1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.