Manual safety demo

Old Dec 21, 21, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Manual safety demo

During covid my experience has been that manual safety demos seem to be the norm. However, the other evening (BWI-LHR) on a 787-8 it was the first time I can recall that a seperate 2nd demo had to be given to those in WT+. CW had 4 CC doing the demo - and presumably there must have been 4 in WT (two aisles x two in foward WT and 2 in rear WT cabins).
Old Dec 21, 21, 11:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've only had manual demos since the pandemic started, partly due to things like removing your face mask before putting on the oxygen mask.

But double presentation of manual is nothing new or odd - it's to do with staffing numbers, passenger seating and aircraft layout, sometimes it's difficult to do it so that everyone can see and BA doesn't do the US Airways -> AA thing of marching between cabins to do it in two places. With staffing numbers very low at the moment then the risk of a double briefing goes up.
Old Dec 21, 21, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They have been operating the B787-8 with just 5 crew, shocking but not illegal.
becks1 and CKBA like this.
Old Dec 21, 21, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Wow, are BA issuing roller skates these days?
Sadly the days of 19 Cabin crew on a B747 seem to be long gone.
Old Dec 21, 21, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Sure they operated one of mine last month with no crew

The advantage of manual demos is that we're not subject to that unfunny "comedian".

AA are still playing the usual safety video.
Old Dec 22, 21, 4:00 am

A manual demo is required as the video doesn’t state to remove a face mask before donning an oxygen mask.
Lower crewing levels often mean the demo has to be repeated, however you can usually make it work with 1 if the pax levels are low enough in certain cabins.
However this week has been a nightmare for crewing flights and trips are departing with crew levels lower than I’ve ever seen - e.g 5 on a 788 as CIHY said. In this case 2x demos would be unavoidable.

Search this Thread