Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WILD flight to Dubai (BA 109)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:01 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
You most likely do not hang around in the circles I am describing.....don't get me wrong, plenty of luxury in Dubai - of course, but hotels like Five Palm have such a terrible reputation - its fake gangsters and low end drug dealer central in the summer months. the Quality of people going there isn't great....
Ah, so it's not "Full of" as you previous described. It's one hotel that has a bad reputation? Have you actually been to the hotel you mention, or are you relying on Instagram?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:28 pm

On my most recent ATL>CDG flight about ten days ago, AF staff was insistent on people wearing masks as required. And with the explosion of Omicron cases, I anticipate that on my return flight on DL next week (AMS>DTW), FAs will be equally strict.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
And.... Dubai has never been a "Luxury Only" destination. There are litterally hundreds of low and medium end hotels.
I would suggest that Muscat is the destination in the area that more specifically went 'luxury only'. This was partially in reaction to their near neighbours in Dubai which has gone for a wider audience and Sultan Qaboos definitely didn't like what he saw there. Whether on BA or EK there have, for a number of years, been a wider cross section of society on board heading to DXB in contrast to AUH and MCT. Sadly BA no longer serve AUH or MCT. As for people heading to the region at the height of summer for the holidays.....when we lived in region (BAH/AUH) most ex-pats headed back to cooler climates during the summer as the heat/humidity outside was unbearable.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:48 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Would it not be appropriate to get the Captain to come out and speak to these people, giving them a proper warning. That is certanly the action I have seen taken previously and usually works wonders!
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Would it not be appropriate to get the Captain to come out and speak to these people, giving them a proper warning. That is certanly the action I have seen taken previously and usually works wonders!
I have never seen that happen on BA flights - and i have travelled plenty through pandemic. I think if people worry about non-maskers on flights, people ought not to travel in my honest opinion.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Some of if not all the personal details of the arrogant young perpetrators of this 'crime' are known to BA through the contract details in the reservation. Walking around the cabin without a mask at present is very serious and ignoring flight crew is insupportable. Could they not be banned by BA and have their executive club with status and avios withdrawn if they're members? I'm not at all sure how easy this would be for an airline to instigate but it would send a clear message to the passengers and everyone else that might think they're above the rules.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC
IMO defo a certain type of person that can enjoy the culture-less sandbox that is Dubai, whilst turning a blind eye to its awful human rights record.

Have been on a few DXB services where I’ve seen things kick off and afraid to say it does attract a certain crowd - a lot of the new money folk.. all $$ but no class - much like the city they’re visiting.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have never seen that happen on BA flights - and i have travelled plenty through pandemic. I think if people worry about non-maskers on flights, people ought not to travel in my honest opinion.
Pleased to say I’ve seen the captain do this earlier in the summer, a disruptive female passenger who refused to wear a mask was met by police on arrival at Heathrow and stern words from the captain.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
You most likely do not hang around in the circles I am describing.....don't get me wrong, plenty of luxury in Dubai - of course, but hotels like Five Palm have such a terrible reputation - its fake gangsters and low end drug dealer central in the summer months. the Quality of people going there isn't great....
You forgot to mention football players hehe
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Walking around while taxiing- let the crew deal with it the danger is largely to themselves, stay out of it.

Masks- some evidence they may work at a population level but not enough for you to worry about in a plane with air filtration, ignore. I can assure you that if they had Omicron you were exposed, mask or not, the good news is it’s a mild cold for almost everyone with a vaccine.

CW food- you were apparently in WTP so really not your problem to worry about.

Would love to hear the other side of the story about the passenger constantly complaining to crew about everyone else’s behaviour….
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don’t think it’s a good idea to have the Captain come out of the flight deck, but making a PA spelling out the rules would be appropriate, also issuing a Disruptive Passenger letter would be something to be considered as is handing the passengers over to the local authorities.
The point is you MUST take control and I’m afraid that some of the current crew do not have the capability to do this.
MaxFlyer, endoman, mrow and 12 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:37 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Ah, so it's not "Full of" as you previous described. It's one hotel that has a bad reputation? Have you actually been to the hotel you mention, or are you relying on Instagram?
No, never been - I have only stayed on Jumeriah beach - and would never go, the place has a terrible reputation - from Instagram, from people I know in Dubai....it really attracts the wrong people. But sad to say that is now Dubai in general, along with Mykanos - ruined by the shallow self orientated spoilt brats that society has bred.

Last edited by PGberkshire; Dec 22, 2021 at 2:52 am
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crazy8534

Masks- some evidence they may work at a population level but not enough for you to worry about in a plane with air filtration, ignore. I can assure you that if they had Omicron you were exposed, mask or not, the good news is it’s a mild cold for almost everyone with a vaccine.

Filtration helps but two masked passengers still substantially decreases the risk of transmission even with omicron. BA needs to get its act together on masks or they will start losing foreign customers who feel unsafe. If I didn’t just have omicron I would be booking away (not that my business on BA hasn’t plummeted due to service related issues anyways).
Carfield, Cap'n Benj, hbtr and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Surely the minimum response is to have the pax met by police on arrival. I would imagine that at DXB (as in the US and probably the UK) this would be a far from pleasant experience. More significantly, it would almost certainly be picked up by the tabloid / gutter press and the resulting story might actually - if repeated often enough - get the message across that bad behaviour in the air won't be tolerated and will have consequences. The behaviour surely results principally from the sense that there is simply no sanction for breach of the rules when up in the air. If that idea can be dispelled things might improve.

Back in the day, the no-smoking rule was rigidly enforced when it was first introduced, and - leaving aside those who try and take a sneaky puff under the smoke-detectors in the loos - I have never in the modern era seen anyone try and smoke on an aircraft. The rule is accepted, because it was rigidly enforced.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
No, never been - I have only stayed on Jumeriah beach - and would never go, the place has a terrible reputation - from Instagram, from people I know in Dubai....it really attracts the wrong people. But sad to say that is now Dubai in general, along with Mykanos - ruined by the shallow self orientated spoilt brats that society has bred.
I am a very big fan of Dubai and go there with my wife at least twice a year for holiday plus normally a few work trips. I do believe that you can have a great time there, with excellent hotels - the FS, the Mandarin Oriental, the O&O on the Palm, etc. Great value for money, acceptable flight time and great service. Also I've never experienced any such drama on a flight from LHR. And sunshine guarantee.

The V though...that caters for a very special crowd. I would also not stay in a Rixos for similar reasons. But I am also not allowed by my wife to visit the vault in the JW Marriott anymore after I took her there for after dinner drinks & she saw the female guests there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.