Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does BA silverline hangup after 1 hr on hold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba Silver

Hi everyone..

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this..feel free to move to appropriate forum.

Trying to cancel an Avios flight that i cannot cancel online. After 1 hr on hold i got cut off. Thought it might have been my mistake so i tryed on my mob..same thing 🤔

Is Ba cutting off people on hold after an hour or am i just unlucky twice? Any advice? Could i go to Edi BA ticket desk and cancel there? Any help or advice would be welcome. Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I don’t know if it’s a network provider issue? I’ve exceeded 1hr on Vodafone without issue. Well it is an issue but that’s another matter…
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:22 am
Original Poster

My home phone is virgin
MOb is Giffgaff
Didn't realise that there would be a time limit as its BA footing the bill???
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
BA most definitely does cut off people at exactly 1 hour of holding on the Silver line - I have four consecutive days (and counting) of personal experience of this now. There's also plenty of anecdotes about the 1 hour hangup in the call centre thread.

Apparently the prevailing advice is to try to call them on their numbers for Singapore, Hong Kong or Mexico (Skype is probably cheaper than traditional international calling); haven't had any luck there either, though; nor on Twitter or the chatbot.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Wot about BA ticket desk at airport? Would they do anything there?
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
No, it's a network issue rather than BA. An easy way around it is to use a VOIP (skype, ringcentral, etc) client if the provider won't change the limit. It used to happen to me and it was more frustrating when BA or whoever would answer the call 50 minutes in, but it'd get cut off on the hour mark mid-conversation.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Slim_Jim
Wot about BA ticket desk at airport? Would they do anything there?
No, unfortunately. Either try first thing, the evening (inc the US number after 8pm ),a foreign number or live chat (just keep typing "speak to an agent" into the bot)
Kids To London likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:59 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Originally Posted by George K
No, it's a network issue rather than BA.
Sorry this is incorrect. As the owner of a telecoms provider, I know that it is BA dropping the call at 1 hour, 1 min, not us!
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
All,

just to be clear, most UK phone providers would cut you off after one hour call to avoid excessive charges. I believe this is mostly the case where people have some allowance for free calls and the fair use agreement, but it is not BA (or any other company that you may be calling like Sky etc).
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Originally Posted by 000
Sorry this is incorrect. As the owner of a telecoms provider, I know that it is BA dropping the call at 1 hour, 1 min, not us!

​​​​​​​I should have clarified - I'm sure BA may be cutting people off at the hour mark if still on hold, but if you're connected and on the line to someone and the call drops on the hour, that's a network disconnect, right? I've had this most recently with the Avios.com team (so not technically BA) and I have confirmed it with O2 (my provider).
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:54 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
On 16/12 the silver line cut me off 3 times after about 5 minutes each time 👹
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Never been cut off yet at the 1 hour mark and spent many a time over the last few months on calls to BA. Was over the hour yesterday on the Silver line before speaking to an agent. I use 3.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Cut off after an hour (or 1 hour 1 min) four times in the last 24 hours using various providers, including Skype. Anyone have any idea of a provider that is reliably working? Unfortunately I don't have a land line.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Calling at 0800 GMT worked for me after a few days with no luck.

Spike
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Just got through on the USA number (+1 800 AIRWAYS) in about 20 mins via Skype for anyone trying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.