Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid on a plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
from mid sept to end of nov i was contacted by T&T every single week which made no sense as many of those flights i was sat next to or across the aisle from my parents who were not contacted in every instance that i was.

but now i just presume that every time i step foot on a plane i will be contacted approx 7-8 days later because thats what has been happening to me.

as for a cabin crew being afflicted leading to slow service, you must confuse covid for a different ailment, entirely treatable: Mega Club Europe cabins
Colesmore likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Interesting.. I got a T&T text and email a few days ago after an inbound flight. I checked with all other people I’d seen to check if it was them (and hope they were ok if it was them) but none of the people I’d seen since said it was them so I assume it had to be the flight. My day 2 test came back negative but I’ve been LFT-ing since. Does anyone know how many rows forward and back get contacted??
as they no longer as for a seat number on the PLF then the assumptionis they are pingining every one the flight

however evidence in this thread suggests even that may be a bit hit and miss

the initial rule was 3 rows forward and back, no matter the cabin (celtic fc fell foul of this on their charter as they assumed 2m and ended up with a lot more close contacts than they expected)
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Duck1981
That’s interesting- I actually wanted to start a new post about this.

Since October I had previously three flights and I was pinged every time.

Last Sunday myself and my wife were flying BER-LCY (on a small Embraer) and of course everyone was tested pre departure. So I did not expect a ping.

Two hours ago both of us were zapped by NHS again. We will get of course our NHS PCRs.

But I am wondering what the purpose is of the pre departure tests (apart from the fact that the UK Government is trying to make international travel as difficult as possible) as there is at least in my case no difference if tested or not?
all a test does is show you were negative at the time of the test

if someone takes the test aand negative result 48 hours before the flight then they have 48 hours to get infected before they board

it reduces the risk, but does not eliminate it
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Doubt that as the PLF doesn’t ask for seat numbers anymore…
I'm not clear how the PLF comes into play here - could you elaborate?

I was told BA provides the contact details of people within a certain distance of the infected passenger. I don't have any reason to believe that's wrong, particularly given my own experience supports it.

This was a domestic flight.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by golfmad
Crazy thread of the day.
Paranoia at its finest
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Schiehallion
I'm not clear how the PLF comes into play here - could you elaborate

I was told BA provides the contact details of people within a certain distance of the infected passenger. I don't have any reason to believe that's wrong, particularly given my own experience supports it.

sorry i missed it was a domestic flight so no PLF, the post I replied to just said "inbound"

I do not believe BA (or any other airline flying into the UK) is providing any seating plans, maybe on a domestic flight they provide contact details for who was on the flight

PAX move once on board and BA would have no info on that

if you have a family of 4 with seats 11A B 10A B BA do not really know who actually sat where, and if they changed seats during the flight

This is why suspect they are just pinging everyone on the flight, but it can be a bit hit or miss

as I said previously the original rule was 3 rows back and forward no matter the cabin

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 15, 2021 at 11:35 am
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: AA - EXP
I used to cough to cover my farts… now I fart to cover my coughs.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm not clear how the PLF comes into play here - could you elaborate?

I see!

I did only internationals where the PLF does not require seat numbers.

Given that I doubt BA is sophisticated enough to provide individual seat numbers of positive pax so I still would say the whole plane gets pinged if just for simplicity of tracing.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
the whole plane is pinged based own experience .
happened to me too

The person I spoke to said it was limited to +/- a few seats. In my case I was in 2B and Mrs. S was in 2A (of an Embraer) and she seemed to have been far enough away to stay off the list. I suspect the trigger was sat in 2D.

But, not the whole plane in any event.
Based on my memory and interpretation of the Corona Law (SI), what you mention is what the law states ('close contact')
However T&T/NHS have taken it upon themselves to overextend and invent the law and quarantine entire planes in some instances.
Extremely annoying, particularly at the start of the pandemic (when tests were literally extortionate) after spending £100 on a wasted test to release
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
happened to me too

Based on my memory and interpretation of the Corona Law (SI), what you mention is what the law states ('close contact')
However T&T/NHS have taken it upon themselves to overextend and invent the law and quarantine entire planes in some instances.
Extremely annoying, particularly at the start of the pandemic (when tests were literally extortionate) after spending £100 on a wasted test to release
oh well. I have had 4 flights this autumn and got pinged four times. Luckily always negative on my arrival tests and on subsequent PCR tests as advised by T&T.

Just completed the T&T form and given new advice I am asked to complete a lateral flow test for the next seven days. Happy to do so. Despite the fact I had a negative PCR on Day 2.

I know there are many ifs and buts when it comes to testing (fully understand it may take time to develop symptoms) but given my ping history as outlined above I am not really buying into the assumptions that either pre or arrival tests are helpful to protect the NHS (or myself as triple vaccinated). In any case I am a good citizen and will do what is asked.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:00 pm

Snakes on a plane

For split second I read SNAKES ON A PLANE. I am so relieved.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Centurion

Would you prefer snakes or covid? I’m intrigued.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
So does anyone have any experience of being pinged on a domestic flight? I flew LHR-GLA tonight (fantastic) but now worried I'll get a ping, despite no-one being within metres of me (it was very quiet). Having just had Covid, I'd really rather not do a PCR at this time given government recommendations not to as there's a good chance of showing up positive. Advice?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Centurion
With all this pinging, who has had it with all this mfg Covid on these mfg planes?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
So does anyone have any experience of being pinged on a domestic flight? I flew LHR-GLA tonight (fantastic) but now worried I'll get a ping, despite no-one being within metres of me (it was very quiet). Having just had Covid, I'd really rather not do a PCR at this time given government recommendations not to as there's a good chance of showing up positive. Advice?
Advice? Come back if you do get pinged and then maybe some of the hive mind can advise if needed. Otherwise try not to sweat it. That is coming from someone awake at 03:30 because they can’t sleep worrying about this government’s direction of travel, so I’m not stressing it at all!
Like them I advise you to do as I say and not as I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.