Wiki Posts
Search

Covid on a plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737
The crew member had also other symptoms of Covid - drinks were very slow to arrive, my glas went empty for prolonged periods of time. So clearly she was already weakened by the virus.
Haha, I have clearly had quite a few crew with covid this year
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Coughing isn't even a symptom of Omicron apparently. Symptom list hasn't been updated since March 2020
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I’ve had a bronchitis cough that annoyingly lingered on for 4-5 weeks after I would have been contagious, I’m just saying.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Wow - that kicked off quickly...

So I am sure it was the flight because the alert came in on an email address that I only use for registering UK passenger locator forms. Also the PLF does not include seat numbers anymore.

The crew member had also other symptoms of Covid - drinks were very slow to arrive, my glas went empty for prolonged periods of time. So clearly she was already weakened by the virus.
I have no doubt it was the flight

I have a huge doubt it was the crew member

Someone who was on the flight will have had a positive result on their day 2 test
skiaplg and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Coughing isn't even a symptom of Omicron apparently. Symptom list hasn't been updated since March 2020
While it's not a representative sample, every single person I know who had covid (including myself) had completely different symptoms from what is normally listed.

Ironically, even though all of us were pre-omicron, we all had some kind of muscle pain (usually in upper body), which is now being mentioned as omicron symptom.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Nailed on that anybody coughing must have Covid.
I would have laughed along until this week. Unfortunately, omicron is so transmissible that LFDs are not returning positive results until well after symptoms have started. So if someone has a cough in London at the moment, it's highly likely to be Covid.

That said, I feel more sorry for crew than passengers. By numbers, crew are far exposed to pax germs than vice versa and their sick pay is pathetic. Their isolation will be worse.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by konagirl2
Yep I would go with incompetence as the explanation for lack of contact... T&T were very careful in not giving any information away that could identify an individual when my partner was contacted a few weeks ago. We returned from South Africa on a BA flight in the week leading up to the omicron announcement by SA. We were both contacted to ask to isolate because we had arrived from a country that had subsequently been added to the red list, but then by Day 7 my partner was contacted as a 'close contact' of someone with the omicron variant. We hadn't been out of the house so we were pretty certain it was the flight, but the T&T script reader could not confirm what day the contact happened because it might break the confidentiality of the contact. I was not contacted. Then my partner was eventually contacted again confirming the date and took yet another PCR test, but I still wasn't contacted. My partner was in 1A and I was in 2A with the same cabin crew. So either it was the person in 1E or - more likely - T&T really doesn't work very well. Still.
I was explicitly told the flight number and the date.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
so far...

On serious point, I am sorry you got pinged LCY8737. I hope you don't get it - every time I have been on a flight and not been pinged I feel lucky to have avoided it as some people seem to be getting pinged all the time. I think now you can just to daily lateral flow tests if fully jabbed so hopefully it doesn't cause you too much disruption
I'm in Scotland at the moment, but understand the guidance is the same - to release early a negative PCR test is required (from a Track and Trace contact).
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Interesting.. I got a T&T text and email a few days ago after an inbound flight. I checked with all other people I’d seen to check if it was them (and hope they were ok if it was them) but none of the people I’d seen since said it was them so I assume it had to be the flight. My day 2 test came back negative but I’ve been LFT-ing since. Does anyone know how many rows forward and back get contacted??
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
That’s interesting- I actually wanted to start a new post about this.

Since October I had previously three flights and I was pinged every time.

Last Sunday myself and my wife were flying BER-LCY (on a small Embraer) and of course everyone was tested pre departure. So I did not expect a ping.

Two hours ago both of us were zapped by NHS again. We will get of course our NHS PCRs.

But I am wondering what the purpose is of the pre departure tests (apart from the fact that the UK Government is trying to make international travel as difficult as possible) as there is at least in my case no difference if tested or not?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Interesting.. I got a T&T text and email a few days ago after an inbound flight. I checked with all other people I’d seen to check if it was them (and hope they were ok if it was them) but none of the people I’d seen since said it was them so I assume it had to be the flight. My day 2 test came back negative but I’ve been LFT-ing since. Does anyone know how many rows forward and back get contacted??
the whole plane is pinged based own experience .
LCY8737 and abligh like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
the whole plane is pinged based own experience .
The person I spoke to said it was limited to +/- a few seats. In my case I was in 2B and Mrs. S was in 2A (of an Embraer) and she seemed to have been far enough away to stay off the list. I suspect the trigger was sat in 2D.

But, not the whole plane in any event.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I call my cough that lasts throughout winter in this country, "winter breathing".
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:55 am

Worth checking out this: https://sandpit.bmj.com/graphics/202...bed/index.html - while presumably relating to our current knowledge of covid transmission, it is useful to at least understand the relative transmission routes.
(Also, if you want to understand the sensitivity/specificity of tests try - https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1808/infographic).
flyingstart likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Schiehallion
The person I spoke to said it was limited to +/- a few seats. In my case I was in 2B and Mrs. S was in 2A (of an Embraer) and she seemed to have been far enough away to stay off the list. I suspect the trigger was sat in 2D.

But, not the whole plane in any event.
Doubt that as the PLF doesn’t ask for seat numbers anymore…
LCY8737, Silver Fox and Robert279 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.