Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Euroflyer - ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick - launching 29th Mar 2022

BA Euroflyer - ‘low-cost’ shorthaul subsidiary at Gatwick - launching 29th Mar 2022

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 15, 22, 7:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Scotflyer80
Wiki Link
BA plan to resume or start flights to the destinations below from the dates shown

Amsterdam - from 29th March
Antalya - from 2nd April
Athens - from 4th May
Bari - from 3rd April
Berlin - from 7th May
Bordeaux - from 16th May
Cagliari - from 24th May
Catania - from 31st March
Dalaman - from 23rd April
Dubrovnik - from 4th April
Faro - from 30th March
Gran Canaria - from 2nd April
Heraklion - from 24th April
Ibiza - from 3rd May
Kos - from 24th April
Lanzarote - from 30th March
Larnaca - from 29th March
Madrid - from 16th May
Malaga - from 7th April
Malta - from 14th April
Marrakesh - from 31st March
Menorca - from 16th May
Nice - from 31st March
Milan (MXP) - from 4th May
Palma - from 7th May
Paphos - from 29th March
Rhodes - from 28th April
Santorini - from 15th April
Seville - from 15th April
Tenerife - from 29th March
Thessaloniki - from 14th April
Turin - from 4th April
Venice - from 26th April
Verona - from 16th April
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 20, 22, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold

Oh eck.
Old Jan 20, 22, 10:11 am

the Spanish brand awareness commences. Wonder how a chartered IB crew contract compares to new BAEF
Just reminded me of the halcyon days of Iberia offering 747 and A300 Aviaco charter flights from GLA-TFS in the 80s.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
I was considering booking a destination from LGW, but now Im definitely staying in the realm of LHR.

I dont want to fly on Iberia Express with their incredibly bad legroom. Imagine how customers will feel when they pay for BA CE and get Iberia Express
Old Jan 20, 22, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
This is stranger and stranger. Why lease-in capacity from another airline (albeit IAG)? Maybe the reports of crew training are correct, or BA can't get the aircraft they thought at the cost and time they need? Between the Vueling flights to Spain and IBS, BA branded flights, it will look like Madrid, not Gatwick! At this rate there could be a few EI tails too...wouldn't be the first time and EI are very slow to bring back services from Ireland.

Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
I was considering booking a destination from LGW, but now Im definitely staying in the realm of LHR.

I dont want to fly on Iberia Express with their incredibly bad legroom. Imagine how customers will feel when they pay for BA CE and get Iberia Express
I don't know, they might be quite impressed. The food certainly looks decent, although I imagine it will be the usual BA catering.
https://www.travelcodex.com/report-i...n-canaria-lpa/
TPJ and jrfsp320 like this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by BrianDromey View Post
This is stranger and stranger. Why lease-in capacity from another airline (albeit IAG)? Maybe the reports of crew training are correct, or BA can't get the aircraft they thought at the cost and time they need?
This is all speculation. But I would guess insufficient crew or less likely but possible insufficient aircraft.

Its also possible that BA have had the nod that the slots rules are going to be more onerous than they thought and planned the timetable for and they need to cover them. Note the hire in starts pretty much from the get go for BAEF in April when the planned fleet was meant to be quite small.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post
This is all speculation. But I would guess insufficient crew or less likely but possible insufficient aircraft.
The problem is they cant recruit crew fast enough to even fully cover the current operation, never mind a set up a new subsidiary.

They have enough aircraft. The first aircraft to return to operating from LGW would initially be the 177 seat G-GAT* reg A320s that are currently operating at LHR.

Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
The aircraft and crew are being leased to BA however the onboard catering should be supplied by BAs caterers.

I recently flew with Iberia Express. Both flights on a A320 in business. Seat pitch and leg room was exactly the same as on a BA A320. The crew were friendly, food was tasty.

Unlike BA all there aircraft have WIFI and in seat power. The problem that some people might have is getting a seat in club on there aircraft, due to the max cabin size is 6 rows or 24 Seats.

Personally think more people will be annoyed when they by a ticket for a BA flight to only arrive to find out its a codeshare operated by Vueling
jrfsp320 and lcylocal like this.
Old Jan 22, 22, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Scotflyer80 View Post
Personally think more people will be annoyed when they by a ticket for a BA flight to only arrive to find out it’s a codeshare operated by Vueling
I believe if you look at the timetable it makes it clear which airline are operating the flight. If people choose not to check that is their fault. Code shares now are very common place,

As far as the charter in of Iberia aircraft is concerned, it could be for a number of reasons. It could be that hey need more crew although I am hearing otherwise. It could also be because they need to cover more slots than expected with the new slot rules being announced soon. It could also mean demand for flights has been higher than anticipated. Looking at some of the Gatwick destinations frequencies do seem to have been increased.

Once again it will be clear to the passenger who is operating the route. I remember back in 2017/2018 when BA took over the Monarch slots at Gatwick at fairly short notice before the Summer season they leased in Titan to cover the expanded schedule until they had sufficient aircraft. It was clearly stated on my flights’ BA service operated by Titan.’
lcylocal likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 22, 22 at 5:08 am Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jan 22, 22, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have flown twice on Vueling. The first time, and the last time. It was simply atrocious. The legroom was the least of any airline I have ever been on. I have very short legs yet still cannot fit them in front of me without turning sideways and encroaching on somebody elses space. The service was terrible both on the ground and in the air. BAEC benefits were not granted. Check-in in BCN was the same for everybody, no status lines or differentiated bag drop, only 2 desks open for all flights and lines of about 30m per desk. Honestly, rather Ryanair than Vuelng. Theyre that bad. Unfortunately, BA being willing to put their badge on this product also says a lot about the current BA.
SxMan and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jan 22, 22, 5:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
I have flown twice on Vueling. The first time, and the last time. It was simply atrocious. The legroom was the least of any airline I have ever been on. I have very short legs yet still cannot fit them in front of me without turning sideways and encroaching on somebody else‘s space. The service was terrible both on the ground and in the air. BAEC benefits were not granted. Check-in in BCN was the same for everybody, no status lines or differentiated bag drop, only 2 desks open for all flights and lines of about 30m per desk. Honestly, rather Ryanair than Vuelng. They‘re that bad. Unfortunately, BA being willing to put their badge on this product also says a lot about the current BA.
I'm the same... tried once, never again! Flight from MAN-BCN was showing on time an hour before the flight. I checked FR24 and found that it had not yet departed BCN! There was eventually a 4 hour delay. Even then, it was an hour before they decided it might be worth doing the cabin service.

On the return, it took 2 hours to check in at BCN. You're better off turning up late as there was a separate check-in desk for people whose flights are leaving in the next hour. And then another 30 minute queue as passport control.

SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 22, 22, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by BJ787 View Post
BA will need to lease in more aircraft.
As I said before, pilot recruitment and training is not going according to plan.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 22, 22, 7:11 am

covid was perfect opportunity for BA to abandon this LGW quasi low cost LGW operation once and for all. It will bear no resemblance to current plans in a few years, if that.
Not sure where the confusion about Vueling would come from. Its IBex doing the lease ops.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jan 22, 22, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gw76 View Post
Not sure where the confusion about Vueling would come from. Its IBex doing the lease ops.
Indeed, and just to recap. Whilst Vueling have announced plans to launch additional routes out of LGW this summer, they are not being operated on behalf of BA. The details of BAs leasing of Iberia Express aircraft and crews is in post 121.
Old Jan 22, 22, 11:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Scotflyer80 View Post
The aircraft and crew are being leased to BA however the onboard catering should be supplied by BA’s caterers.

I recently flew with Iberia Express. Both flights on a A320 in business. Seat pitch and leg room was exactly the same as on a BA A320. The crew were friendly, food was tasty.

Unlike BA all there aircraft have WIFI and in seat power. The problem that some people might have is getting a seat in club on there aircraft, due to the max cabin size is 6 rows or 24 Seats.

Personally think more people will be annoyed when they by a ticket for a BA flight to only arrive to find out it’s a codeshare operated by Vueling
The Iberia Express and BA A320ceos are similarly equipped but there are a few differences. Other than the first six rows, you will find the seat rows slightly closer together. On the plus side, I2's aircraft are equipped with an IFE system that streams music/films to your personal device.

Recaro SL3510 slimline non-recliing seats fitted at all rows (same seat product BA has at the rear of the neos)
Rows 1 to 6: 30: pitch (same as BA)
Rows 7 to 11: 29" pitch so 1" tighter
Overwing exits are at rows 12 and 14
Rows 15 to 31: 28.5" pitch - about half an inch tighter
SxMan and Scotflyer80 like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 22, 22 at 11:44 am Reason: correction
Old Jan 24, 22, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
With today's announcement that the slot rules at UK airports have been tightened to 70/30 use it or lose it, I believe the recent news regarding Vueling expansion at Gatwick
and the chartering of up to 4 Iberia Express aircraft for BA Euroflyer is in part a response by IAG's need to use more of its slots at Gatwick during Summer 2022.
Will be interesting to see if there are any more route expansions at the airport by IAG in the coming weeks. Or an increase in some frequencies.
lcylocal likes this.

Last edited by vectismanpaul; Jan 24, 22 at 3:47 am
Old Jan 24, 22, 4:47 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul View Post
With today's announcement that the slot rules at UK airports have been tightened to 70/30 use it or lose it, I believe the recent news regarding Vueling expansion at Gatwick
and the chartering of up to 4 Iberia Express aircraft for BA Euroflyer is in part a response by IAG's need to use more of its slots at Gatwick during Summer 2022.
Will be interesting to see if there are any more route expansions at the airport by IAG in the coming weeks. Or an increase in some frequencies.
Hopefully the return of GOA to LGW

Fed up with either flying FR from STN to GOA (now the only direct connection to LON), or U2 from LGW to MIL and then a 90 minute train journey down. Whilst FR and U2 may be more efficient with embarking, doc checks and punctuality, I do miss the lounges and occasional CE breakfast

Search this Thread