Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by VSLover
from the start, klarity always sounded like a scam tbf
Why do you say this?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:59 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by alangore
Because by adding surprise restrictions of their own they get to deny boarding, keep your money, and resell your seat to a last-minute passenger at walkup rates. This almost happened to me on a recent departure leg PHX-BUD.
From the time that I began to read Adorabella ’s most distressing and disgraceful treatment I thought this. We had nonsense like this constantly in Kano and Lagos. I have watched a First Class s’est on our flight being sold by the agent to one person and F denied to the person behind him on a F ticket. I was dead heading so I went to see the Captain who put a stop to it and demanded a ticket check from anyone in F. This instance reeks of it. Reeks of it. It is, I know, a very serious allegation and my own view is that this should be referred to the Las Vegas police.

Adorabella My heart goes out to you. In the 20+ years since I have been here have I read such a dreadful story. It is the stuff of nightmares. I detest all the threads about compensation which so often seem money grabbing to me but you are an absolute example of why it must exist. The least, the vey least that BA should do is pay every penny that this escaped cost you. They should have senior Management in LAS tout de suite to start getting to the bottom of this. I sincerely hope that you got the name of the witch that was able to whip a card from a tester from her pocket like that. You were absolutely at her mercy. May I say that my husband was in the Police all his working life at a fairly high level. I have just read your story to him amd his exact words were « Someone’s on the take » You my poor love are a victim and you houle have justice. You did nothing wrong. I’d get a good lawyer on to this as it is so serious. I have never counselled such action before.

i do wonder if BA had any idea of what was being perpetrated in their name. I hope that if everything that we have heard is found to be true by enough complaints that the handling agent company is fired on the spot and American asked to handle the ground handling arrangements with immediate effect. I wonder that poor Adorabella did not lose her wits.

I’m await developments with interest and sympathy.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
It's supposedly Harry Reid starting tomorrow.
who cares what the stupid airport is called as long as she gets home.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ezefllying
In writing to BA, at least for the purposes of compensation, I would be highly inclined not to mention your mask situation or your PTSD. Not that you've done anything wrong, but rather because I'd worry that the reader's eyes would hit "mask" (or "exemption") and immediately conclude, "Another unhinged anti-mask rant." Never mind that your case actually has little to do with that. And noting your PTSD might leave a casually sexist reader to conclude it's just another "hysterical" passenger.

Unfair? Of course. But, for purposes of this letter, I think it would be helpful to keep the reader focused on the relevant issues so they realize you have a serious, meritorious claim for compensation.

(I would, however, note that the check-in agent was quick to give you a card for a specific off-airport, in-hotel testing provider. I wouldn't include any speculation about it, but I'd leave it there in case your complaint gets referred to a higher-up. They might be inclined to investigate whether their LAS staff may be moonlighting.)
What you suggest is sensible but I wouldn’t want to let the treatment regarding the exemption go completely. Is it possible to lodge 2 separate complaints? One would seek an apology for this issue and hopefully some retraining. The other would seek the full IDB compensation and hopefully cause management to have a close look at exactly what went on. Would 2 separate complaints be handled separately or would they get conflated and muddy the waters? Experienced FTers will no doubt advise.
wrp96, ezefllying and RockyRobin like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by clarrkkent
This is patently false. It shouldn’t be, but sadly it is.

Other countries can and do impose their very own restrictions for travel from said countries point of origin, irrespective of the destination requirements. I encountered this late November in Kenya,(prior to Omicron, so that wasn’t a factor).

Despite US regulations and policies outlining that rapid tests and online tests are acceptable do fly to the US, Kenya itself has imposed a stricter policy that requires a PCR test to leave the country regardless of your destination/residency.

As such, rapid tests are not even available within Kenya. Test results were screened for PCR NAT specific verbiage, a TT number (trusted traveler number only obtained via PCR through a locally approved lab), and a QR code linking to the lab results.

Again, I think it’s absurd and what you are saying SHOULD be true. In practice it is not and I’d urge anyone to very carefully check their destination and origin requirements for both inbound and outbound. It could be an expensive lesson otherwise.
Re-read what I wrote. It is not false.
There's likely some ground staff corruption going on at LAS. I don't say that lightly.
​Other countries, such as Kenya, will indeed have different policies. The USA, at present, does not have requirements for departure testing and has no authority over the test required to enter the UK.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
What you suggest is sensible but I wouldn’t want to let the treatment regarding the exemption go completely. Is it possible to lodge 2 separate complaints? One would seek an apology for this issue and hopefully some retraining. The other would seek the full IDB compensation and hopefully cause management to have a close look at exactly what went on. Would 2 separate complaints be handled separately or would they get conflated and muddy the waters? Experienced FTers will no doubt advise.
I will add that, if the disserved passenger is considering taking legal action, she should probably consult a lawyer first before writing anything. I do not know whether that lawyer would be American or British, and I'm going to abstain from offering suggestions here. As I'll note in an edit to my original post, if I were merely seeking IDB compensation under EU261, I might still include a line at the end of the request asserting that the agents also mishandled my mask exemption and that the overall experience exacerbated my documented PTSD -- just to make sure it's in the written record.

Finally, none of this is legal advice, and I'm hardly an expert on these matters. I encourage the disserved passenger to consider a consultation with a competent attorney.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
who cares what the stupid airport is called as long as she gets home.
I imagine that a lot of people do care!

Nuggets of fine detail like this are what make the BA FT forum an interesting and valuable place to visit.
London Dude and dougzz like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
And the home made sign at LAS was out again 6 hours ago.

wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
What I see here is an out of control team on the take with management either complicit or impotent as to what is happening on their watch. I hope this ends with a criminal investigation and more so hope that the result is made public.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
And the home made sign at LAS was out again 6 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/Stick2323/status...K4lSv3IpA&s=19
That's the sort of sign I would expect to see in the lobby of a retirement home that has an authoritarian shift manager named Bev.

Though "Connex Flt — Fully Vaxed" has a rather Hemingwayan succinctness.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
I imagine that a lot of people do care!

Nuggets of fine detail like this are what make the BA FT forum an interesting and valuable place to visit.
Doubtless. However I would bet the one thing that the poor OP cares about with that airport is when it beneather the wings of the aircraft flying her away.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by mguinness
I would avoid the Klarity Health test certificates like the plague (pardon the pun). The fact that you will use self provided tests (even NHS LFT which are not meant for travel purposes) then video yourself taking the test to gain a certificate seems open to massive abuse.
It's even crazier than you think. Klarity's cheapest option (Ł9.95), doesn't even require you to upload a video of yourself taking the test. A photo of the test result and a copy of your passport are all that's needed. It's frankly a joke, and needless to say the scope for abuse is enormous. I mean, what's to prevent one from uploading the image of a negative test taken a month earlier or taken by someone else? Incidentally, this photo-only option is only for UK customers and isn't available on Klarity's EU website (the cheapest one at €11.95 requires uploading a video) probably because Klarity is based in Amsterdam and they know they'd eventually risk having the book thrown at them by a national or EU authority.
nancypants and mguinness like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Tomorrow it will no longer be McCarran, tomorrow you will (hopefully) be on the first BA flight out of the Harry Reid International Airport.
A high honour given to the bloke who was about the fifth actor to play Ben Mitchell in Eastenders.
RockyRobin and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I think there's three separate things here:

1) The Ground staff in LAS are potentially corrupt.
2) BA cannot control the ground staff in LAS.
3) BA has reacted appallingly to the first two. At least at this point they should have admitted something was wrong. But their agents are backing the ground staff, and staring down completely valid complaints from passengers in LAS,
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Why is it so difficult to pick up a phone to the LAS station manager and discuss this to put them right? I really don't want to start sounding like a conspiracy theorist, but it is getting increasingly hard not to start asking whether one or more of your three points is actually true Smid.

I hope everyone who is affected absolutely takes BA to the cleaners on this and recovers all expenses and gets IDB.

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 14, 2021 at 4:49 am Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.