Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Very disappointing and distressing for you Adorabella . Good luck with your claim

As ​​​bisonrav states, there won’t be any additional comp beyond the legal minimum, so keep your details to do with involuntary denied boarding, and additional accom / subsistence costs. If you get a quick rejection come back for next steps
Adorabella likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Adorabella
Hi Everyone! First post here, apologies for the length. It was recommended that I join the forum via Twitter as it was possibly my post there that highlighted this issue.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and welcome to the BA forum, I only wish the circumstances had been better, since you have been treated shabbily here. I'm very sorry to read your story. There is a thread on EC261 in this forum, but I'm not sure you necessarily need to read it, since all it needs is a concise version of your earlier post. I would very much urge you to do this, since unfortunately avoidable cash payouts is the one thing that makes BA sit up and pay attention. At this stage, get a list of
- extra travel costs
- extra phone / telecom costs
- extra food costs (excluding alcohol)
- extra accommodation costs
- the unnecessary tests in LAS.
- plus the £520 IDB compensation per person.

Then by all means combine the above with a short version of your post (and there are some good eyes here, including lawyers, so reach out for more information). The login into the BA.com, go to the contact us section at the bottom, cut and paste your version into the form. Direct link below. Most important: do a screen shot before submission since you won't get your own copy in this process.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...nts-and-claims

Again my apologies for this, not that I work for BA, you do not appear to have done anything wrong. I imagine there was a lot more to this story, in terms of personal distress, but you wisely managed to get the salient points starkly for all to see, and to the greater embarrasment of BA.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by haroon145
It will be fine, just arrived from JFK today with an unsupervised Qured test. Having spoken to the JFK team, they are aware and mentioned a number of passsngers had attempted to use NHS tests and they have been asked to deny those passengers boarding unless they can obtain the relevant test in time for the flight.
I would be almost certain this is at the heart of the problem, and explains everything else that flows from it.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I am not sure whether those impacted in LAS and JFK could claim US DOT IDB compensation instead? I believe the limits are higher - up to $1550 per person.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I am not sure whether those impacted in LAS and JFK could claim US DOT IDB compensation instead? I believe the limits are higher - up to $1550 per person.
US IDB compensation would only apply if the flight was oversold.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would be almost certain this is at the heart of the problem, and explains everything else that flows from it.
If they used NHS tests they wouldn't have had any documentation to prove the outcome, right? It sounds pretty stupid to me.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:34 pm

Perfect.

Thank you!

EDITED TO ADD: We were not even given an opportunity to show our original test results to know whether they were acceptable or not. The BA rep asked, "Did you go to a lab here in Las Vegas?' Our answer was no and we were instantly denied the ability to check in.

Thank you ever so much for your kindness...and bullet points etc!

I will draft something tomorrow (or will at least attempt to do so jetlag and stress permitting).

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 13, 2021 at 4:34 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:34 pm

Here is the Simon Calder story in The Independent:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b1975125.html

The comment from BA about this story is reprehensible: "A spokesperson for British Airways said: “Like all airlines, we ask customers to check the gov.uk website for information on testing.”" Clearly people have been doing precisely that, it was BA that elected to come up with their own rules, and only told the passengers about these invented rules at LAS rather than email them in advance. If 60 people take BA to the cleaners on this, this nonsense will cease very quickly.
mcgahat, VSLover, wrp96 and 13 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Adorabella
I spoke to the female BA rep and said please could she advise us about finding a lab test. She immediately pulled a business card out of her pocket and suggested we speak with this company.
My husband called the gentleman who quoted $200 per person and said that he could attend our hotel the following morning to carry out the test.
I find this the most interesting bit. (My bolding)
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405
it’s quite narrowly defined - https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-1...#se14.4.250_16

What a mess. Usually the advice would be to fly BA ex-JFK to benefit from EC261, but actually AA might be advantageous as their ground staff are actually empowered to solve problems.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by London Dude
If they used NHS tests they wouldn't have had any documentation to prove the outcome, right? It sounds pretty stupid to me.
Klarity.Health are providing certificates based on certain approved tests. The NHS ones (Flowflex?) meet that standard as I understand it. I bought the Abbott Binax ones which I hope to use with Klarity, but now I’m having doubts.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrandery
I find this the most interesting bit. (My bolding)
I was about to post exactly this, but am too fat fingered on iPad to cut and bold.
wrp96, mikeyfly and Adorabella like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by London Dude
Indeed, and I can imagine some people would turn up at check-in with LFD catridges proving they are negative. But if someone not familiar with the NHS saw some memo about this they may say "well if they didn't get the test in Vegas for sure they used these illegal free cartridges" - given that the USA has very little history of using LFDs. The whole thing is ridiculous - the point of this exercise isn't paperwork - it's to ensure that people who boarded are not obviously carrying COVID on board. Even the NHS issue is silly in its own right, we need to test, test, test and test again. It's not as though the NHS ones really are free either or massively different to the USA system. CVS and co bill back their testing costs to insurers, which is merely a variant of the UK system. However I'm pretty sure that those IDB'd in LAS were mainly using tests that they had paid for outwith the NHS.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I think the BA response Calder quoted was from Twitter, and essentially the twitter team were using a script, which is reasonable, for several similar cases. It was accurate if not very helpful, and not particularly reprehensible. You'd expect a gradually better calibrated response.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Someone going to take one for the team and try Klarity + NHS?

It might bring a new meaning to "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.