Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre departure online tests not being accepted by BA at LAS and JFK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What evidence is there that passengers are still being ordered to get airport tests?
Post #12 is pretty convincing.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england seems to be 'the' official source (although with additional links all over the place - who knows!).
The key part is probably:
Your test result can be provided as:
  • a printed document
  • an email or text message you can show on your phone - make sure your device is charged
It must include the following information:
  • your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • your date of birth or age
  • the result of the test
  • the date the test sample was collected or received by the test provider
  • the name of the test provider and their contact details
  • confirmation of the device used for the test, or that the test was a PCR test
The 'include' part is probably pretty critical in terms of what is included on any 'certificate' that is produced. However, I would add the webpage also states "If you do not present proof you tested negative, you may not be able to board your transport to England." - so 'may' rather than 'will'.
Overall somewhat disconcerting since we're flying in the next couple of days and have pre-departure tests booked - which may, or may not be accepted.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm flying tomorrow evening from JFK. Hopefully the Collison lateral flow I did earlier is fine.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by xenole
I'm flying tomorrow evening from JFK. Hopefully the Collison lateral flow I did earlier is fine.
Slap it into Verifly now.
Please report back your experience too. Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:38 am

Hi Everyone! First post here, apologies for the length. It was recommended that I join the forum via Twitter as it was possibly my post there that highlighted this issue.

We were due to fly on 9/12.
We had read all of the emails sent by BA prior to check-in and checked the UK regulations.
We had bought a verified test via a link on the BA website, followed all instructions and achieved a negative result. Email verification was sent to that effect.
We checked out of our hotel, returned our rental car and arrived at LAS departures with plenty of time to spare, not knowing how much extra time would be required due to all the regs.
The BA check-in finally opened after 5pm (for our flight at 9pm).
The BA staff did not allow us to line up until they had pulled out and displayed a number of BA signs and a giant unprofessional Sharpie/sellotaped paper sign that stated no home or online tests would be accepted.
As our test was BA approved we were not concerned and joined the queue.
I am mask exempt and was wearing a lanyard to that effect. I have severe complex PTSD and one of the symptoms is extreme claustrophobia. BA customer services were aware of my condition and mask exemption and had completed notes on our booking to that effect. They were very clear that they follow the UK rules on mask exemption so it would not be a problem.
As we got to the front of the line (but about 15-20 feet away from the check-in desks) a male BA representative pointed to his mask. A female BA rep came to me to ask why I wasn't wearing a mask, so I showed her my exemption and explained that I have severe c-PTSD.
She told the male BA rep the info and I was called over. He demanded a doctor's letter explaining why I was exempt. As you possibly know - it is against the law to ask me about my exemption and we are not provided with doctor's letters to that effect. However, I did have on me two hospital letters outlining my condition and the circumstances behind it. The information was extremely personal. The male BA rep took my letters and disappeared for about 15-20 minutes.
When he returned I was told by the female BA rep that it was up to the staff onboard whether they wanted to take the risk.
Meanwhile, the female BA rep asked if we had gone to a lab to get our tests done. I replied that we had not but had tested negative on the verified and approved tests bought via the BA website. She said that they were not valid and that we would not be flying that evening. No discussion.
We were reeling. We were told to go and book a lab test and return the following day. I explained that we had no idea of where or how to find a lab to be tested at. By this point, my PTSD that was already very active due to flying (being confined in a small space for 11 hours is terrifying for me) so I was trying to hold myself together without going into a complete meltdown. I also explained that we needed to get back to my mother who has advanced dementia/Alzheimer's. She wasn't interested. She said it was also too late to go to another terminal where they carry out those tests.
So, there we were surrounded by our luggage unable to fly, despite having negative BA approved tests and not knowing whether we would be able to find a room for the night (or more than one night?) and transport to get to and from etc. No help or support was offered.
We found a plug socket on a pillar in the airport and sat on the floor in the terminal so that we could use our laptops etc to book a room, a rental car and a test.
It was almost impossible to know where to start with tests as many websites stated that they had a 2 or 3-day turnaround, or that you had to book (CVS for example) and their booking systems were down. It was also coming up for 7pm at this point, so offices were closed.
I spoke to the female BA rep and said please could she advise us about finding a lab test. She immediately pulled a business card out of her pocket and suggested we speak with this company.
My husband called the gentleman who quoted $200 per person and said that he could attend our hotel the following morning to carry out the test. We said that we would call back as we did not/do not have the money to spend on the tests and extra expenses that were being incurred.
My husband also called CVS HQ who said all of their stores had test facilities and would be open until 9pm but we couldn't book because their systems were down. They would charge $139 per person.
We booked a rental car online (although you cannot reserve it for immediate use, it had to be for at least 1 hour in the future) and took the shuttle to the car rental hub. We also booked a room.
We finally had a car and raced (it was past 8pm at this point) to two different CVS stores both of which declared testing had closed at 8pm (not 9pm as advised) and that we had to book online, despite that system being down. We had no choice but to text the BA rep 'recommended' company to book in and hope that he could fit us in.
I then spent many hours that night trying to get an answer from BA via Twitter messages, whilst my husband called BA. He had no response - the line just rang for an hour. Meanwhile, I was told by a BA Twitter rep that the regs had changed whilst we were away but that it had been highly publicised in the media. I explained that we had taken BA approved tests bought via a link on their website, that nothing was mentioned on their site or in the pre-check-in emails about lab only tests being required. She ignored that. I sent an article from The Guardian about the new regs. No mention of lab testing only required. She ignored that. I sent a screenshot of the BA regs, no mention of lab tests required. She responded that we should have looked at the Gov.Uk site. I screenshotted that too. No mention of lab tests.
The following morning our text was returned and we arranged an appointment for the 'lab' tests. The 'lab' test company could fit us in after visiting the previous 22 appointments that they already had that morning.
TESTING: the gentleman attended our hotel room, gave us forms to fill out, handed us the tests and we individually went into the bathroom to self-administer the tests. Nothing was witnessed at all.
A different BA Twitter rep responded to my messages with a link on the Gov.Uk website stating that private tests must be used and that is why we could not fly. I again stated that we had bought private tests from a BA approved company via a link on their website. No response to that.
Meanwhile, I had been asking BA (starting with the female BA rep at check-in) for details of our new booking and the seat details. It is imperative that I have specific seats due to my intense claustrophobia. Finally, we were given a booking number.
We called BA to ascertain seats as we couldn't access the booking online.
We were informed that we were not ticketed on that flight so no seats reserved and would have to go back to the airport to actually be booked onto the flight and ticketed and then we would know our seats.
We had to check out and waste time before heading to the airport, hoping that our 'lab' test results would be emailed in time.
Finally, at around 5.30pm our results arrived and we could check-in.
The male BA rep was only interested in seeing that the email had a 'lab' logo. Once he saw that we were checked-in to the flight 24 hours late.
There was a major issue with the seats we were assigned as the people who had originally reserved and paid for them online did not want to move from them but that's another story...

Any help, advice or sample letter that we can send to BA or elsewhere to resolve this issue would be most welcomed. We would like to be re-imbursed for all extra costs and compensated for the enormous delays and suffering, which is ongoing for me. My stress levels are sky-high (no pun intended) and will be for more many weeks due to this nightmare.

Thank you.

PS A member of the onboard BA crew told us that they were all horrified with what was going on with the ground crew at LAS and had no idea what they were doing.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 13, 2021 at 11:35 am
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, Adorabella!

Just a word of warning: You are only allowed 5 posts in your first 24 hours, so you are probably better off editing your posts to add information rather than making new one-line posts. I'm sure that many people will be very interested in the detail of what you have to say, so it would be a pity if you were suddenly cut off from being able to post.
Adorabella likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Adorabella welcome to Flyertalk, even if it is under such unfortunate circumstances. That sounds like such an unprofessional experience, even without the added stress of your PTSD.
flyerkit and Adorabella like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by CKBA
Post #12 is pretty convincing….
It’s not, unfortunately. Post 12 contains the notice that has reportedly since been taken down, my question was to ascertain if the removal of the notice also means the erroneous interpretation of the testing requirements has also been resolved.

It was suggested that although the notice appears to have been removed people continue to be wrongly being forced to obtain a new test at the airport. I was asking if there was any evidence of that, but it appears not as the BA274 last night went tech and subsequently cancelled.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FT, Adorabella!

I am so sorry to read your experience at LAS. Please feel free to post any updates, or reply to others. I will be looking over this thread and can merge your posts if need be, which will allow you to post without interruption today and tomorrow.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Wow, that sounds like a complete nightmare. I hope you recover quickly from the ordeal now that you are home.

Would you be able to share the name of the BA approved test that was used please. It sounds like you were badly served by a rogue ground crew but it would nonetheless be useful to know which test in particular they had an issue with.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:06 am

The sign was put out on 9/12, when we and many others were not allowed to fly with our BA approved tests until we took expensive lab only tests. The following day (10/11) the sign was nowhere to be seen but at least 65 people were sent away (including those with VeriFly) and all with BA approved tests to have 'lab' tests taken. The visibility of the sign does not correlate to whether people are allowed to fly or not, it seems.

We used the Excalibur Health 'Fit to Fly' antigen test but we heard about many different tests that were used by passengers refused boarding.

EDITED TO ADD: Thank you so much.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 13, 2021 at 11:37 am Reason: Merge posts to free up future posting privileges
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by xenole
It will be fine, just arrived from JFK today with an unsupervised Qured test. Having spoken to the JFK team, they are aware and mentioned a number of passsngers had attempted to use NHS tests and they have been asked to deny those passengers boarding unless they can obtain the relevant test in time for the flight.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Adorabella
Hi Everyone! First post here, apologies for the length. It was recommended that I join the forum via Twitter as it was possibly my post there that highlighted this issue...
Adorabella welcome to FlyerTalk, what an absolutely disgraceful experience you were subjected to.

Provided your original test complied with the UK requirements (which I suspect it does) then you have been IDBd and are entities to EC261 compensation. In addition you are entitled to the cost of the overnight stay and any food and drinks reasonably required as well as the cost of transport to and from the airport. In addition to the EC261 compensation and reimbursement you are entitled to reimbursement of the cost of the additional (unnecessary) covid test.

If you need any assistance in this please feel free to come back here and you will certainly receive help from myself and many others here who are ready and willing to assist.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:25 am

Thank you ever so much.

Yes, our original tests did/do comply with the UK regulations, as confirmed by Simon Calder in today's Independent.

I so appreciate your kindness and information. That's good to know. Are there any sample letters posted anywhere that I can use to submit to BA, or will a tweaked version of my original post here suffice, please?

Gosh! This is all so exhausting!
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I wouldn't recommend using the original post content, there's a lot there that is interesting (and distressing) background, but not strictly relevant to the claim. It just complicates things really, there's a lot to read through.

You'll need something that states you were incorrectly denied boarding having presented a valid covid test (give details), and told to get another at the airport (also give details), causing you these expenses: (new test, hotel, food but not alcohol, send receipts). And that you want to make a claim under EC261 for reimbursement and statutory compensation (it's a fixed amount). Just keep it simple and to the point. If they refuse the claim, then come back here for help.

You won't get compensation for consequential losses or stress I'm afraid.

There's a form at:

Complaints and claims | Help and contacts | British Airways
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Adorabella
Thank you ever so much.

Yes, our original tests did/do comply with the UK regulations, as confirmed by Simon Calder in today's Independent.

I so appreciate your kindness and information. That's good to know. Are there any sample letters posted anywhere that I can use to submit to BA, or will a tweaked version of my original post here suffice, please?

Gosh! This is all so exhausting!
Im sorry that you experienced this. Tobias UK has summed it up. This forum will help you sort things out. Simon Calder featured this issue today maybe tweet him too as he might be happy to contact BA for you.

The seating is unfortunate. BA would rarely kick someone out of a seat for another passenger especially if they paid for it.

Good luck and keep us updated
flyerkit and Adorabella like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.