FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Stranded - what can be claimed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2061878-stranded-what-can-claimed.html)

Door5L Dec 12, 2021 11:02 pm

Stranded - what can be claimed

The BA1478 last night got diverted to Edinburgh after a failed attempt to land at Glasgow due to poor weather. It was windy but other flights were landing at Glasgow.

The handling of the diversion was dire with some saying we diverted as BA did not load enough fuel so the aircraft was always going to run into problems if it had to abort one landing. We were told on the ground in Edinburgh that we would refuel and depart for Glasgow but we ended up being left there after midnight. I get this is considered an exceptional situation but if the fuel story is true, BA will have known about the possible weather conditions in Glasgow and should have been prepared. These situations are always annoying but BA handled it appallingly and acted like they had landed on a remote island. What can we claim if anything?

orbitmic Dec 12, 2021 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Door5L (Post 33807434)
The BA1478 last night got diverted to Edinburgh after a failed attempt to land at Glasgow due to poor weather. It was windy but other flights were landing at Glasgow.

The handling of the diversion was dire with some saying we diverted as BA did not load enough fuel so the aircraft was always going to run into problems if it had to abort one landing. We were told on the ground in Edinburgh that we would refuel and depart for Glasgow but we ended up being left there after midnight. I get this is considered an exceptional situation but if the fuel story is true, BA will have known about the possible weather conditions in Glasgow and should have been prepared. These situations are always annoying but BA handled it appallingly and acted like they had landed on a remote island. What can we claim if anything?

in short you can claim reasonable cost of your trip from Edinburgh airport to Glasgow.

Globaliser Dec 13, 2021 12:59 am

Some advice here, following a similar incident: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-aberdeen.html

corporate-wage-slave Dec 13, 2021 1:21 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 33807439)
in short you can claim reasonable cost of your trip from Edinburgh airport to Glasgow.

Indeed, and if means an overnight stay at a hotel, given the late hour and lack of public transport options, then so be it and I doubt BA would quibble. The taxi internal maxima is £50, usually, but if the taxi fare was higher but no hotel, then I expect BA to pay that after explanation. There isn't any compensation above direct costs, BA would not divert on a whim, and it was quite breezy last night even for those of us on the Edinburgh side of the hill.

KARFA Dec 13, 2021 1:38 am

At the time you were due in to Glasgow the wind there was gusting up to 40-50kts.

I will try and be polite here, the "fuel story" sounds like a load of cobblers tbh. I have not known BA captains skimp on fuel in the past when seeing the weather could be tricky, someone I knew was on an LBA flight which waited over the airport for 15 laps of the hold hoping conditions improved before diverting in the end.

flygod Dec 13, 2021 1:55 am

Was watching you on FlightRadar 24 !

I have to say it was really gusty here, just 15 miles south of Glasgow Airport, at the time. Hence why I was having a quick look at FR24.

When the wind gets over 50mph, the external doors here open a little at the top and bottom and let out a whistling shriek! That happened just as you were about to land.

The wind was forecast to drop a little by midnight - and about 11:30 I said to my wife that seemed to be it - only for the door to shriek once more!

Sometimes, you just have to a call it a day. Better to be on the ground wishing you were up there, than be up there wishing you were on the ground!

Scots_Al Dec 13, 2021 2:12 am

Originally Posted by flygod (Post 33807642)
Was watching you on FlightRadar 24 !

I have to say it was really gusty here, just 15 miles south of Glasgow Airport, at the time. Hence why I was having a quick look at FR24.

When the wind gets over 50mph, the external doors here open a little at the top and bottom and let out a whistling shriek! That happened just as you were about to land.

The wind was forecast to drop a little by midnight - and about 11:30 I said to my wife that seemed to be it - only for the door to shriek once more!

Sometimes, you just have to a call it a day. Better to be on the ground wishing you were up there, than be up there wishing you were on the ground!

Ha, I was just about to say that from my location a few miles from GLA and next to the approach from the north I was really surprised to see this as I didn't notice any wind!!

CarefreeBA Dec 13, 2021 2:16 am

Once, I was due to fly (from LCY) to Amsterdam and that flight had been cancelled and was rebooked onto a Rotterdam. Wasn't in a rush so didn't bother me, but like many above, I just claimed for the total train cost from Rotterdam to my destination in the Netherlands (which was cheaper than just to Schiphol) and was paid within a few days.

Airlines are usually not hugely apologetic over weather and I've had cases where they've been stubborn. "But you have to get me there" should always be the core and underlying thought when getting your money back.

Door5L Dec 13, 2021 3:06 am

Thanks for the advice all. Flying at this time of year inevitably comes with the risk of weather issues but BA could have been more proactive and present on the ground in Edinburgh - we are talking an A320 of passengers not an A380. But safety is indeed the priority.

SK AAR Dec 13, 2021 5:17 am

I fail to see that any EU 261/04 comp. is due for diversion due to weather. Alleging that BA failed to load enough fuel will lead nowhere.

kenko92 Dec 13, 2021 8:16 am

That wind seemed to start very suddenly and was quite violent for a while.
It obviously makes a difference now that there are no real BA staff at outstations.
How did you and the rest of the passengers finally get home?.
Scottish Citylink do have a limited night bus service across to Glasgow.

HIDDY Dec 13, 2021 9:04 am

Originally Posted by kenko92 (Post 33808248)
That wind seemed to start very suddenly and was quite violent for a while.

Often the case at GLA in certain weather conditions due to its geographical position. So I was once told by a ATC staff member.

Intl359Widget Dec 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 33808379)
Often the case at GLA in certain weather conditions due to its geographical position. So I was once told by a ATC staff member.

I'm quite surprised they didn't fly an extra section in the morning EDI-GLA to reposition the aircraft.

Im a new user Dec 13, 2021 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 33807589)
There isn't any compensation above direct costs, BA would not divert on a whim, and it was quite breezy last night even for those of us on the Edinburgh side of the hill.

So if BA leaves the passengers stranded at the wrong airport and doesn't provide any assistance to get the passengers to the right place, then BA has taken all reasonable measures to minimise the delay?

corporate-wage-slave Dec 13, 2021 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Im a new user (Post 33809664)
So if BA leaves the passengers stranded at the wrong airport and doesn't provide any assistance to get the passengers to the right place, then BA has taken all reasonable measures to minimise the delay?

That wording is taken from the compensation area of EC261. I don't think that's in the frame here since a diversion is almost certainly extraordinary circumstances. On the other hand, Right to Care certainly does appy. This doesn't go into time limited remedies, but does go into things like hotels and additional travel costs. Moreover had BA laid on coaches or taxis I doubt it would have been any faster than a passenger making their own booking arrangements.