Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TfL Rail (was Heathrow Connect) - where is station in T5?

Old Dec 12, 2021, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Where actually is the TfL Rail station in T5. Piccadilly has not been operational on a few days in recent weeks and I have used the expensive Heathrow Express. I have heard of Heathrow Connect but never managed to locate the station? Has anyone used the service and any comments?
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:02 am
formerly JackDann

There isn't a dedicated one at T5 - You can get the express to T3 (This is free) and then it'll be on the same Platform.

One thing I did realise by doing this a couple of weeks ago, was that I had no opportunity to tap my Oyster card.
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by JD1905; Dec 12, 2021 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The service doesn't always (officially) run to T5, but it uses the opposite platform to the HEX, typically on the right side platform where HEX is on the left. But at weekends and late on then it's barely any slower than HEX and is a sensible option. Otherwise for most of the day you collect it at the T2, T3 HEX station, where it usually uses the same platform as HEX. You can use the Oyster tap in at the T5 Hex station, it can join the dots so long as you also tap at Paddington too on the appropriate platforms. In other words if Paddington have left the gates open you best tap there anyway.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:13 am
Original Poster

So can I get the Heathrow Express from T5 and just change over to TfL at T2/T3 HEX station?

When you say it does not always run to T5, I guess it is just a matter of checking the timetable and seeing if is available at T5 Hex or T2/T3 Hex station when you land.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ademanuele
So can I get the Heathrow Express from T5 and just change over to TfL at T2/T3 HEX station?

When you say it does not run to T5, I guess it is just a matter of checking the timetable and seeing if is available at T5 Hex or T2/T3 Hex station when you land.
Yes, to the first question, though obviously it slows you down a bit doing the change. There are times when TfL Rail does run to T5, and the timetable shows this, but sometimes they run the train from T5 unofficially too, and you just have to take a punt on the screens. So it may say T2,T3 only on the screens, and then magically becomes Paddington when you get to T2, T3.
ademanuele and Strawb like this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by ademanuele

When you say it does not always run to T5, I guess it is just a matter of checking the timetable and seeing if is available at T5 Hex or T2/T3 Hex station when you land.
Yes.

The fare is calculated according to which platform gates you touch in/out of at Paddington. HEX should always use 6 or 7, so those gates are programmed to deduct the higher HEX fare. TfL tend to use 11 or 12, and those gates will deduct the lower TfL fare.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:52 pm

You can use contactless/Oyster at T5 to either use the TfL service or connect to it at T2/3.
You can also use contactless/Oyster to transfer between terminals for free, saving the use of a blue ticket that can't be recycled. It's annoying that Heathrow are trying to prove they are becoming more environmentally friendly but now use hundreds, if not thousands, of unrecyclable tickets for free transfers...
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

When I stayed at the Hilton T4 for three nights at the end of Nov, The Tfl trains only ran to T5 mid evenings onwards and at weekends ( however there can be engineering works)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 12, 2021, 1:27 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by T5ops
You can use contactless/Oyster at T5 to either use the TfL service or connect to it at T2/3.
You can also use contactless/Oyster to transfer between terminals for free, saving the use of a blue ticket that can't be recycled. It's annoying that Heathrow are trying to prove they are becoming more environmentally friendly but now use hundreds, if not thousands, of unrecyclable tickets for free transfers...
Yeah I genuinely didnt know this, so got a paper ticket for the transfer and then was stuck because I couldnt tap in anywhere at T2/3. Cant remember what I done at Paddington now.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by T5ops
You can also use contactless/Oyster to transfer between terminals for free
To be clear for those not familiar with the oyster/contactless set-up, you can:

EITHER
- use it for the through journey from T5 to Paddington, connecting from HEX to TfL Rail at T2/3 (if TfL Rail isn't running direct from T5)
OR
- use it only for the transfer between T5 to T2/3, getting out at both ends

What you can't do is use it for free for the transfer only by tapping in at T5 and then *not* tapping out (e.g. if for some reason you wanted to use a separate ticket for the onward TfL journey). You'll have an incomplete journey if you do that. Important to be aware that the free transfer is based on tapping in/out.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
To be clear for those not familiar with the oyster/contactless set-up, you can:

EITHER
- use it for the through journey from T5 to Paddington, connecting from HEX to TfL Rail at T2/3 (if TfL Rail isn't running direct from T5)
OR
- use it only for the transfer between T5 to T2/3, getting out at both ends

What you can't do is use it for free for the transfer only by tapping in at T5 and then *not* tapping out (e.g. if for some reason you wanted to use a separate ticket for the onward TfL journey). You'll have an incomplete journey if you do that. Important to be aware that the free transfer is based on tapping in/out.
Thats useful thanks.

So, no need to prebook the TFL train ticket as it won't change price nearer the time? just treat the journey like you would on the underground by tapping at both the start and the end of the journey?
ademanuele likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Aston100
Thats useful thanks.

So, no need to prebook the TFL train ticket as it won't change price nearer the time? just treat the journey like you would on the underground by tapping at both the start and the end of the journey?
Absolutely. And what's good about TfL Rail is they charge it as a through fare if you continue your journey on the Tube beyond Paddington. So for example Heathrow-Paddington-Liverpool Street costs the same off-peak (or only a little more peak) as Heathrow-Paddington on its own. Whereas for the HEX, not only is that a lot more, but you'll pay separately for the onward journey on the Tube.

Now of course - depending on where you're going - the Tube the whole way may be preferable for a lot less money still, but those stops on the Piccadilly Line really can feel like an eternity.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone fo their response to this, I suspect a lot of Heathrow passengers are not aware of the TfL option... I may use it instead of the underground going forward, may be faster option...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:46 pm

TfL is also step free at T2/T3. Useful when travelling alone and having to roll two luggages. Even when Piccadilly Line was operating, I once arrived at T2/T3 tube station, and found the lifts not working and it's impossible to manage both luggages using the escalators down to the platform. The attendant recommended to take TfL instead to Ealing Broadway (where Central Line originates) and from there, connect to Central Line for central London.

Note this option is more expensive, almost double the cost of a straight-through exclusively tube ride.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:04 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I didn't realise you could use contactless between terminals when using the HEX, but then neither does heathrow.com.

Please note that a Transport for London Oyster card or contactless payment mechanism is required to activate the ticket gates on London Underground services, but you wont be charged for your journey as long as you only travel between terminals. If you are using Heathrow Express or TfL Rail, please obtain a free Inter-Terminal Transfer ticket from one of the machines in the station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.