Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA#269 Going Tech 10 December - UM on Board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA#269 Going Tech 10 December - UM on Board

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For anyone else on this flight who needs this information for EC261, the BA flight status data is

LHR - scheduled depart - 15:15 hrs. Actual 21:03.
LAX - scheduled arrive - 18:35 hrs. Actual 23:59

Those on the earlier cancelled AA flight (departing LHR at 10:15 hrs!) can't unfortunately claim two lots of compensation, since the delay to the first service is weighed against the final arrival tme.
matinicus rock and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I wonder what’s gonna happen to the BA268
Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I wonder what’s gonna happen to the BA268
It appears to be still running. with a departure time of 02:41 Saturday instead of 20:50 Friday. She would then limp into LHR around 20:17. Which will make for one tiring journey for a lot of people, but the timing may reduce jet-lag, it's quite neatly placed from my reckoning.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It appears to be still running. with a departure time of 02:41 Saturday instead of 20:50 Friday. She would then limp into LHR around 20:17. Which will make for one tiring journey for a lot of people, but the timing may reduce jet-lag, it's quite neatly placed from my reckoning.
glad I took the one yesterday - my wife would go mental if I missed my connection and extended the trip by another day involuntarily
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:15 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by matinicus rock

I think I’ll still apply for the EC261, as I stand here typing this at LAX because now something’s gone wrong with the baggage hamdling…
Just be aware that the passenger needs to be named in the claim, you can’t just claim yourself as the person (presumably) paying for the flight - BA may try and obfuscate and wriggle unless you do it right.

Unfortunately this gives your son the upper hand in any negotiations …
matinicus rock and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Well the reasons given in that email for the delay make it a straightforward case.
bit of a shame that the letter makes no mention of the EC261 compensation...

A few years ago we had an overnight delay to Dubai and the leaflet that was "available" from the desk (if you asked for it) simply said "you may be eligible" but gave no further details.

BA customer service at its finest again?
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
BA268 has left LAX after a 2hr 15min turn around and is due into LHR at 8.21pm this evening.

LAX isn’t having a great time of it the past 2 days, todays AA flight has been cancelled again and todays BA269 is already showing a delay of 1hr 40mins as they are using the currently delayed MIA-LHR aircraft to serve LAX today. Strange decision to use an aircraft which is already delayed vs. one of the spares sitting in the maintenance area!

Pilot37
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by Pilot37; Dec 11, 2021 at 4:01 am
Old Dec 11, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Just be aware that the passenger needs to be named in the claim, you can’t just claim yourself as the person (presumably) paying for the flight - BA may try and obfuscate and wriggle unless you do it right.

Unfortunately this gives your son the upper hand in any negotiations …
Or indeed a corporate travel manager. Compensation is due to the passenger, not whoever paid for the ticket (whether corporate or parental account). I suppose negotiations with either one can be tough, but the regulation is clear.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 4:57 am

I am quite surprised this ran as it looked like a 24hr delay job to me! I assume the fact that it was totally rammed + the headache it'd cause for everyone having to be retested sharpened the minds at BA to get this out, so well done to them. Presumably it needed a fresh crew?
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by deep_south
bit of a shame that the letter makes no mention of the EC261 compensation...

A few years ago we had an overnight delay to Dubai and the leaflet that was "available" from the desk (if you asked for it) simply said "you may be eligible" but gave no further details.

BA customer service at its finest again?
Yeh, although the regulation does state airlines must inform passengers of their rights under EU/UK261, they usually do this in the booking process, and fail to directly highlight it after a delay. The latter was probably the intent of the wording in the regulation but the wording of the regulation was too vague and the former suffices.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Yes - didn't mean to imply we were paying for a service. In the States, anyone under the age of 18 is considered a minor, and as he was unaccompanied, I used the words "unaccompanied minor."
OT, but the above is actually incorrect. In aviation terms, UM is a specific status, which gives airlines specific responsibilities (regardless of whether airlines sell a paid for service or not). Age definition of UM varies by airline, including in the States, but none of them that I know of extends the UM definition to 18. With AA, one ceases to be automatically considered a UM at age 14 (though parents can choose to pay for the service and get associated protection till the age of 17), on UA, one is considered an adult at age 15 (again, this can be extended for a fee till age 16), and with SW at age 12 (no extension possible).

So with any of those airlines in the US (and any other I can think of), your son would be considered an adult rather than a UM, and not entitled to any particular help or support in case of disruption, just as though his train or subway was delayed. "Minor" has no universal definition anywhere either - the voting majority, the drinking majority, the criminal majority, the sexual majority, the driving majority, the working or marrying majorities, and indeed the air passenger majority don't need to coincide and typically don't...

That said, as CIHY mentions, crew - and indeed any trusted passenger - are typically helpful, and in the unlikely case your son was worried, approaching the crew and explaining his worries would undoubtedly get him some help (though that would be just as true if he were 87 rather than 17 I would say!)

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 11, 2021 at 6:45 am
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:46 am

Those on the earlier cancelled AA flight (departing LHR at 10:15 hrs!) can't unfortunately claim two lots of compensation, since the delay to the first service is weighed against the final arrival tme.
Is this correct? Wasn't there a ruling in the European Court of Justice last year (?) where AY had to pay two lots of compensation because a rebooked flight was cancelled? The ruling maybe doesn't apply ex-UK because of Brexit.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Im a new user
Is this correct? Wasn't there a ruling in the European Court of Justice last year (?) where AY had to pay two lots of compensation because a rebooked flight was cancelled? The ruling maybe doesn't apply ex-UK because of Brexit.
Well I don't think Brexit makes a diference, but when a service is cancelled, the amount of compensation is determined by the delay at the arrival point, if any. So in thiis case it needs a delay of 4 hours to trigger 600€, but it doesn't make a difference if it is 4 hour 1 minute or 4 days, it's still 600€. If the second flight was then cancelled - which at one stage looked very likely but didn't actually happen - then another set of arguments can be deployed.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
but in any event BA will be in loco parentis here.
Really? Just because he is 17 and travelling alone, it doesn't mean BA take on any legal parental responsibilities.

This might have been different when they offered a formal unaccompanied minor (UM) service, but that is long gone.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
OT, but the above is actually incorrect. In aviation terms, UM is a specific status, which gives airlines specific responsibilities (regardless of whether airlines sell a paid for service or not). Age definition of UM varies by airline, including in the States, but none of them that I know of extends the UM definition to 18. With AA, one ceases to be automatically considered a UM at age 14 (though parents can choose to pay for the service and get associated protection till the age of 17), on UA, one is considered an adult at age 15 (again, this can be extended for a fee till age 16), and with SW at age 12 (no extension possible).

So with any of those airlines in the US (and any other I can think of), your son would be considered an adult rather than a UM, and not entitled to any particular help or support in case of disruption, just as though his train or subway was delayed. "Minor" has no universal definition anywhere either - the voting majority, the drinking majority, the criminal majority, the sexual majority, the driving majority, the working or marrying majorities, and indeed the air passenger majority don't need to coincide and typically don't...

That said, as CIHY mentions, crew - and indeed any trusted passenger - are typically helpful, and in the unlikely case your son was worried, approaching the crew and explaining his worries would undoubtedly get him some help (though that would be just as true if he were 87 rather than 17 I would say!)
Does this make me a helicopter parent?
orbitmic and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.