Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Have a business class ticket, but seat options show me first class?

Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Hello,

Iím flying business from SAN > LHR Flight #272. When choosing my seat it shows me rows 1-2 - which according to my seat maps are first class seats, which I can choose for $9/each.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk wotton

It's possible this is an aircraft with a First Cabin although the flight is only selling Business seats. Perhaps if you can confirm the date so more help can be given ?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Welcome to Flyertalk wotton

It's possible this is an aircraft with a First Cabin although the flight is only selling Business seats. Perhaps if you can confirm the date so more help can be given ?
Sure thing, we fly tomorrow - 9th December. I went ahead and modified the booking to take Seats 1E and 1F. It looks as if these are first class seats, being sold business class.

Appears itís flying on the new BA Dreamliner.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by wotton
Sure thing, we fly tomorrow - 9th December. I went ahead and modified the booking to take Seats 1E and 1F. It looks as if these are first class seats, being sold business class.

Appears itís flying on the new BA Dreamliner.

Hi

Sounds like a FLUB ( first class seats with club service)

Enjoy!

Regards

Tbs
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Based on my experiences over the past couple of weeks, I would be very careful with this, especially if you have one of the better J seats reserved.
Twice I have seen this on a FLUB 787-9 and moved my seat assignment from 7A to one of the F seats showing as available. Both times, at T-24 my seat has been changed back to a J seat but, as both 7A and 7K had been taken by somebody else by then, I was left with a much less desirable J seat.
When I queried this at check-in at DEN, I was told that if loads were sufficiently light so that the F cabin wasn't needed, at t-24 they would block the F cabin for crew use and just use the J cabin.
dcmike, becks1, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:59 am
Original Poster

So then, perhaps I keep my J seats - and at check-in - ask if seat assignment is open in 1E & F. Once youíre checked in, and the seat has been assigned to you - can they
move it afterwards?

Iíve moved my seats back to the desired J seats.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I see - well, in that case, Iíll stick with my J seats. At T-24 Iíll see at check-in if F is available.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So then, perhaps I keep my J seats - and at check-in - ask if seat assignment is open in 1E & F. Once youíre checked in, and the seat has been assigned to you - can they
move it afterwards?

Yes, they can close the F cabin and shuffle pax around if the J cabin is not fully sold.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
First rule of FLUB: Do nothing.

Main FLUB discussion for the longer discussion, but my version above is really all you need to know.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-aircraft.html
squeeler, Mekko, jlemon and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:35 am

move it afterwards?

Yes it can be closed off at any time. The only sure fire way you'll know it's going to stick is if BA select you and move you forward. If it were me, I'd sooner air on side of caution and allow them to make the gesture by moving me forward while knowing I still had decent Club World seats secured until such a time if/when that happens. They'll know where you are if they want to find you.

Also keep in mind FLUB travel isn't without its unique pitfalls. In my experience the F galley is invariably closed off when FLUB is operated and your service is an extension of the J galley which can often mean a prolonged and unnecessarily drawn out service. You might experience a better Club World service from your existing seats, especially if you plan on using a significant portion of the flight to sleep.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Dec 8, 2021 at 9:41 am
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:39 am

Still selling J seats on that flight:

J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W7 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M6 L6 V3 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9

I'd be suprised is they kept FLUB open, but stranger things have happened
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Still selling J seats on that flight:

J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W7 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M6 L6 V3 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9

I'd be suprised is they kept FLUB open, but stranger things have happened
I guess they've got 8Flub seats... so could only be one or two away from full J cabin ?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
My neighbors flight SAN-LHR last month was also flubbed. Hopefully a sign that there is still demand for the route. I have an EF alert on my Jan flight home to SAN for seats 1A through 2K to see if the cabin opens up. Still 14 seats open, so still a chance.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think it will be a close thing.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I guess they've got 8Flub seats... so could only be one or two away from full J cabin ?
Good point! I don't actually know if FLUB seats are included in there - I guess they must be

CW cabin doesn't look that full at the moment, but is obviously no guide

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.