Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight gone "Red" and says I "might wish" to rebook my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight gone "Red" and says I "might wish" to rebook my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to (posting on) FT, rganiko!Your flight will have gone red for a different reason from that for most of the reports in this thread: you get a more important red warning if a flight has been cancelled.

It's normal for the cancelled sector to be automatically rebooked without reference to other flights in the itinerary. It means that you have space protected on an alternative, and then you can work out whether or not that works for you. Normally, the robotics pick up the invalid connection and do further work over the following days, but you don't have the luxury of that time for your trip.

For those who have not memorised the entire BA timetable, BA192 is DFW-LHR, and BA578 and BA2584 are both LHR-VCE.

There are no other flights from LHR to VCE on 27/12 and no other airlines flying non-stop between London and Venice onto which BA would rebook you. In present circumstances, trying to secure a connecting itinerary between London and Venice would seem to be adding levels of risk. If you seek to avoid that, then there would seem to be the following obvious options at the top of the list of possibilities:
  1. Fly LHR-VCE on 28/12 (BA578 at 0840) with an overnight connection at LHR.
  2. Change your 26/12 DFW-LHR flight to AA20 at 1520 (also sold as BA1589), which arrives at LHR at 0620 on 27/12 and gives you a legal connection to BA578 at 0855.
Thanks, I was finally able get through to someone and was able to rebook a different route to VCE.
Globaliser likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I got the dreaded red flight for a domestic leg GLA-LHR- I've checked BA and there aren't really any alternatives, can I ignore and just see what happens? It looks like a miss of my Madrid connection will mean an overnight in MAD or LHR to get to PMI.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marconess
I got the dreaded red flight for a domestic leg GLA-LHR- I've checked BA and there aren't really any alternatives, can I ignore and just see what happens? It looks like a miss of my Madrid connection will mean an overnight in MAD or LHR to get to PMI.
if it the red message mentioned at the start of the thread then yes you may as well do nothing. it doesn't mean your GLA flight is about to be cancelled.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:26 pm

I was in the same position as many of you worried about my flights going red without a cancellation notice itself. I was in touch with BA on Twitter and a member of the holidays team is getting in touch with me soon regarding my booking as it says two of my flights have had a status change. I’m intrigued to find out what it is as nothing seems visible on the website for now.

06:10 to LHR from ABZ on 29th then the 09;40 to MIA are red
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:33 pm

If the individual flights are red it can be a time change or a seat change usually. Also if they were previously subject to a change (perhaps needing rebooking die to a cancellation) they can sometimes stay red. If everything looks ok I wouldn’t worry too much.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
My overnight from JFK on the 4th is zero-ed out (none of the other flights are that night) which I guess means a cancellation is coming?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AdBoy
My overnight from JFK on the 4th is zero-ed out (none of the other flights are that night) which I guess means a cancellation is coming?
Have you checked the outbound (LHR-JFK) flight for that aircraft? If the whole rotation is zeroed, then a cancellation is definitely on the cards.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Have you checked the outbound (LHR-JFK) flight for that aircraft? If the whole rotation is zeroed, then a cancellation is definitely on the cards.
Yes, seems to be. Thanks, hadn't thought to do that.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:10 pm

Same just happened to me, outbound to JNB has gone red - BA 57 LHR JNB on 30 Dec. The return leg on the 24 Jan, changed last week, from a 777 ac to the A380, and is still showing as ok.

Cancelling will cause a domino effect on lots of individual bookings I have made in SA. Shall I just hold on and do nothing?

Last edited by HGOLI; Dec 23, 2021 at 1:38 pm
Old Dec 23, 2021, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by HGOLI
Same just happened to me, outbound to JNB has gone red - BA 57 LHR JNB on 30 Dec. The return leg on the 24 Jan, changed last week, from a 777 ac to the A380, and is still showing as ok.

Cancelling will cause a domino effect on lots of individual bookings I have made in SA. Shall I just hold on and do nothing?
I am on the same BA57 flight 2 days before you and likewise it’s gone red. I will keep you posted what happens to mine!
HGOLI likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Calthrop
I am on the same BA57 flight 2 days before you and likewise it’s gone red. I will keep you posted what happens to mine!
Much appreciated! Many thanks. Not sure my nerves can take much more, this is the 5th attempt to get down to SA since Apr/May last year! Canx will affect Airlnk flights, hire cars, and all the rest of it...
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:05 am

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does 'zeroed out' mean? As in post 84, my 30 Dec LHR-JNB is red and wondered what I should be looking for to check whether it is zeroed out.
Many thanks
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:13 am

As in all selling classes are at zero so there is no availability for the flight. This maybe BA deliberately doing it pending a cancellation, or just that the flight is sold out.

In your case it isn't

BA57 30 December
F1 A0 J5 C2 D0 R0 I0 W2 E0 T0 Y6 B4 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
HGOLI and Nephoi like this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HGOLI
Sorry for the dumb question, but what does 'zeroed out' mean? As in post 84, my 30 Dec LHR-JNB is red and wondered what I should be looking for to check whether it is zeroed out.
Many thanks
every flight that is scheduled is listed in a database. thats what youre checking on ba.com when booking a flight. there are several booking classes for each flight. like F, A for First class, J,I,D,R and C for business class, W, E and T for WTP+ and almost the entire remaining alphabet for economy, starting with G,O and Q the cheapest and Y the most expensive one.
airlines decide how many tickets in each "bucket" they want to sell. usually they show a number between 0 and 9 (AA 0 to 7) with 9/7 meaning that number or more...
sometimes the availability of fare buckets differ from point of sale to point of sale - for me as a german I class (discounted business class) is sometimes sold out (I0) but POS London has I4 or even I9.

zeroed out means that they arent willing to sell any ticket in any class - a very good indicator that the flight is either sold out or will be cancelled.
HGOLI likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:34 am

KARFA Nephoi

Thanks both. So, I guess if it's not zeroed out, there is at least a chance the flight will still go ahead. I note it still give me the option of upgrading on that flight.

​​​​​​Edit: Just read this thread, so I will stop panicking for the moment. Thanks again.
Thread - Flexibility your upcoming booking

Last edited by HGOLI; Dec 24, 2021 at 6:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.