Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…

ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…

Old Dec 6, 21, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Not sure if I've missed this, but say I do a day trip somewhere (OK, probably not wise in the present climate, but needs must). I take a PCR test, or whatever is required a day or two beforehand.
On my return to the UK, would I need to take another PCR test? What about the pre-departure test?
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 7:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not clear, are you doing a PCR before your day trip because it is needed for your destination?

You need a pre departure test which can be a lateral flow anytime in the 2 days before you depart for the UK, so since you are doing a day trip you can do your pre departure test in the UK up to two days before you go on it and use that for your return.

On return you need to do a day 2 PCR test at anytime from arrival up to the end of day 2 (day of arrival being day 0). You should remain in self isolation until you receive the -ve result.
Arsey00 and biscuitbiscuit like this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 7:05 am

Programs: Jal JGCP
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
Not sure if I've missed this, but say I do a day trip somewhere (OK, probably not wise in the present climate, but needs must). I take a PCR test, or whatever is required a day or two beforehand.
On my return to the UK, would I need to take another PCR test? What about the pre-departure test?
i believe in earlier times in 2021 it was possible. you could use the same pre departure test for pre departure both ways.

you'll have to do other post arrival tests both ways accordingly still.
Old Dec 6, 21, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Joshm300 View Post
Asking for some people in our hotel in BGI at the moment. Is our understanding that the new testing rule apply to people arriving in the U.K. tomorrow morning after 4am, or does it apply to flights departing to the U.K. after 4am tomorrow?

So, if I was to fly back from the Caribbean tonight and land at 5.30am tomorrow morning, do I need a test or does it only kick in for people flying tomorrow onwards?
Bang on - this was my dilemma too - according to gov.uk:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

From 4am on Tuesday 7 December anyone aged 12 and above wishing to travel to the UK will need to show a negative pre-departure test (LFD or PCR). The test must be taken within the 2 days before you travel to the UK"

I personally read this as anyone wishing to travel to the UK after 4am on Tuesday needs a test i.e. it applies to all flights departing to the UK after that time rather than flights landing after 4am. It's "wishing to travel" versus "arriving".

I'm exactly in this situation and I got a negative COVID test certificate just to be on the safe side.
Old Dec 6, 21, 7:37 am
Suspended

New here, can I just check the test prior to UK arrival can be Lateral flow or PCR. But PCR after 2 days once in UK as well.
Old Dec 6, 21, 7:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by JeffFromStoke View Post
New here, can I just check the test prior to UK arrival can be Lateral flow or PCR. But PCR after 2 days once in UK as well.
Correct.
Old Dec 6, 21, 7:50 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
But PCR after 2 days once in UK as well.
Just to be clear, on or before day 2 of your arrival back in the U.K., with day of arrival being day 0. Self-isolating until the result.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
https://klarity.health/product/basic...d-certificate/
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:15 am

hmmm - can you use one of the NHS test kits and just buy a certificate from this site?
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT JeffFromStoke and congratulations on your first post - hopefully the first of many

Nothing really to add to the comments of my fellow FT'ers who have hopefully answered your query.
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jonas123 View Post
hmmm - can you use one of the NHS test kits and just buy a certificate from this site?
seems so
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Joshm300 View Post
Asking for some people in our hotel in BGI at the moment. Is our understanding that the new testing rule apply to people arriving in the U.K. tomorrow morning after 4am, or does it apply to flights departing to the U.K. after 4am tomorrow?

So, if I was to fly back from the Caribbean tonight and land at 5.30am tomorrow morning, do I need a test or does it only kick in for people flying tomorrow onwards?
in the end its what the check in agents accept to let you get on the plane and border force in the uk. When I asked BA twitter they basically absolved themselves of giving a definitive answer and just referred to the government advice which contradicts itself in several places.
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:49 am

I am transiting through LHR (4 hour airside layover DL/VS - stay in T3) - do I need this test?
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I emailed them earlier to ask that same question. I have some NHS ones with me and I am awaiting their response.
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Balan's Frequent Eater, Trying to convince my local to offer a reward program
The website says "for people who have already purchased our Rapid Antigen test and only need a certificate"
I would take this to mean that they still want it to be one of their tests but are making this an additional choice for those who bought tests LFTs before the rules changed? Although I would prefer it if you were right.

Search this Thread