Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ITV just said on the 6pm news a pre arrival test into the UK will be required…

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 747-800i
This simply isn't true, the UK government puts out weekly stats which clearly show that a significant % of the hospitalizations and deaths are people who are fully vaccinated. For all of you thinking it ends with the 3rd shot, keep in mind people with 3 shots have already been catching Omicron and Israel is already on their 4th shot, because 3 didn't work.
It may be a sample of one but in that one ICU every occupant who is there for Covid is unvaccinated. I'm not a cheerleader for the vaccine at all, but I can't deny the effect. We all know it's not 100% effective.
BTW you may want to withdraw the suggestion that I'm lying.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Arsey00
We are watching the scientific method play out in real time. Something most of us aren't accustomed to in our daily lives, where we are usually able to rely on more settled science. But science doesn't settle immediately just because people find waiting for solid results inconvenient. Whatever is going to get us out of this, half the population saying "I know better than epidemiologists" probably isn't it, even if sometimes epidemiologists get things wrong. We will try things, some will work, some won't, some will at first and then suddenly won't, not because our guesses aren't educated enough but because it's literally impossible to plan for every eventuality. Something many of us know from our work and personal lives, I would presume. The new requirements have been brought in quickly (by governments of varied political stripes, not just the UK Tories) because past delays to restrictions resulted in both deaths and longer restrictions, and governments (of varied political stripes) were pilloried. If omicron turns out to be a storm in a teacup, which we will know fairly soon, the restrictions can be removed even more quickly and easily than they were brought in.
and if its not a storm in a tea cup, wait 3 months for a new vaccine, then another 3 months for that to get distributed to people my age in my country? Meanwhile all back in lockdown?

Then another varient of concern next winter and we go round the cycle again?

governments the world over (this is not a pop at Boris) have had 2 years now to upgrade their health systems to be able to better cope with the impact of any new varients

yet here we are

when do we look for a different exit strategy?

i supports vaccines, there has to come a point where they say those of us vaccinated boosted etc and keep getting our shots can get on with life
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thegamebird
Has anyone managed to clarify whether those of us on overnight flights tomorrow night from the east coast of the US, where flights depart pre-4am GMT but that arrive past 4am GMT will need to now find a test provider today?

Do we expect the check-in agents will be asking for test results tomorrow night or start on Tuesday night?

The wording could be considered ambiguous.
I expect the changes in the law will be published tomorrow. I also expect that anyone arriving from 0400 on Tuesday onwards will need to have a pre departure test.

it's possibly you may get away without one on monday as the agents may not be fully up to speed on the change, but if i were you i would book one now.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:27 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Arsey00
If it were that bad, possibly. But that's very unlikely, considering we now have mRNA tech for updating vaccines quickly and far better testing (and always improving) than we had last year.
Then the same again next year I assume? See what i’m getting at here… We can’t keep going through this cycle.
SxMan and 86BA7 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Originally Posted by JackDann
Then the same again next year I assume? See what i’m getting at here… We can’t keep going through this cycle.
That comment sounds like you aren't reading mine so I will leave you to flap on your own. Have a lovely day.
etiene, Pack, Mks6 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by CT-UK
This is a very good question. One of our engineers was in Germany last week and came back once the rules changed and knew he would fail the PCR and pass a LFT because he had Covid 6 weeks ago. The way it is at the moment we think he has to self isolate for 10 days after every trip. There appears to be no provision for this.
Very strange, if one had Covid 90 days prior then why even do a PCR test given a positive will not be a real positive. Makes no sense to isolate then. But I agree there is no provision for this it seems.

It looks like I will face this situation with family next week so let me search further. If anyone knows, appreciated!
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I am amazed at some of these comments, amazed and somewhat distressed. It is to me a deterrent. The Government do not want people travelling, but dare not say so. So instead they make it harder and harder to do so. I, for one, will change my plans to visit friends and family in the UK and stay in France. It’s too much bother to enrich the pharmaceutical companies who are lining their pockets with all this testing. Tests to come in, them a PCR after two days. The crunch is that you have to pay for the d**n test even if you are not going to be there for 2 days.

I speak for myself alone. It is clear that this virus is here to stay. Other viruses have swept the earth and are now consigned to the dustbin of history either by just petering out or by vaccination. Flu sweeps the western world each winter that there is no lockdown. I take the view that life must go on but one must be prudent. Do you drive the same on black ice as you do on a summer’s afternoon, of course not. I use vaccine like I do insurance. Not being vaccinated or boosting is as stupid as my driving uninsured confident that I shall not have an accident. I want to be as protected as I can as this is a nasty illness and I do not want to end up in a hospital bed. Worse, I would not want to be in a hospital bed somewhere in a country where the costs are ruinous. So, I’ll put my personal safety and those of others ahead of my personal pleasure for a while until this hysteria proves to be exaggerated or understated.

Two things that will happen over my dead body are being lectured to by anybody on the morality of travelling at this time, nor being the wrong side of a frontier from my husband. I vowed that death alone would part us, and that stands as far as we are both concerned.
JimEddie, mrow, passy777 and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jplondon
Very strange, if one had Covid 90 days prior then why even do a PCR test given a positive will not be a real positive. Makes no sense to isolate then. But I agree there is no provision for this it seems.

It looks like I will face this situation with family next week so let me search further. If anyone knows, appreciated!
We had exactly this situation coming back from Spain in the summer when a 2 day PCR test was required to come back from an Amber country. My daughter had had COVID 6 weeks previously. Her pre-departure LFT was negative but her day 2 PCR was positive. It was clearly a false positive as there was nothing wrong with her but T&T insisted she do another 10 day isolation. There us no way round it. A positive test triggers isolation even if your records show you’ve had COVID within 90 days.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Last time I took a day 2 PCR after arrival test the result came back 2 days after I was already back in the US. What guarantee is there on the time it would take to get back results.

It's all such a joke.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 747-800i
This simply isn't true, the UK government puts out weekly stats which clearly show that a significant % of the hospitalizations and deaths are people who are fully vaccinated. For all of you thinking it ends with the 3rd shot, keep in mind people with 3 shots have already been catching Omicron and Israel is already on their 4th shot, because 3 didn't work.
Yes, LadyEtc is correct. I'm an avid reader of Israeli research, and I can't quite place one that said "3 didn't work". But aside from that, it is the case that at midday Friday for England, 72% of those in COVID ICU were unvaccinated, when 90% of adults are vaccinated, and 95% (approx) of adults against the age profile of those in ICU are vaccinated. So the 5% unvaccinated are massively over-represented in ICU, simply due to the severity of their condition, plus the fact they have at least a chance of survival - if you are not going to survive you won't end up ICU. The two reasons why this may look odd compared to other statistics is that actually most people who die of COVID don't go to ICU - and they mainly die outside of hospitals. And secondly if 100% of people are vaccinated, 100% of deaths are in people vaccinated, just a whole lot less than them. We have eradicated 90% of deaths, and it can be higher still as boosters continue to dent the figures. As for Omicron, we just don't know enough about it yet, most commentary is speculation and will be for around another week or 10 days.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As for Omicron, we just don't know enough about it yet, most commentary is speculation and will be for around another week or 10 days.
And that's a pretty decent, quick timeline when we think about it.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
We had exactly this situation coming back from Spain in the summer when a 2 day PCR test was required to come back from an Amber country. My daughter had had COVID 6 weeks previously. Her pre-departure LFT was negative but her day 2 PCR was positive. It was clearly a false positive as there was nothing wrong with her but T&T insisted she do another 10 day isolation. There us no way round it. A positive test triggers isolation even if your records show you’ve had COVID within 90 days.
Thank you for your example/experience. I was not even certain there is actual link between Day-2 testing and T&T, or maybe you reached out to T&T.

Like this for certain on each flight there will be some people testing positive on arrival, I cannot believe they would warn x people on same flight.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:06 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, LadyEtc is correct. I'm an avid reader of Israeli research, and I can't quite place one that said "3 didn't work". But aside from that, it is the case that at midday Friday for England, 72% of those in COVID ICU were unvaccinated, when 90% of adults are vaccinated, and 95% (approx) of adults against the age profile of those in ICU are vaccinated. So the 5% unvaccinated are massively over-represented in ICU, simply due to the severity of their condition, plus the fact they have at least a chance of survival - if you are not going to survive you won't end up ICU. The two reasons why this may look odd compared to other statistics is that actually most people who die of COVID don't go to ICU - and they mainly die outside of hospitals. And secondly if 100% of people are vaccinated, 100% of deaths are in people vaccinated, just a whole lot less than them. We have eradicated 90% of deaths, and it can be higher still as boosters continue to dent the figures. As for Omicron, we just don't know enough about it yet, most commentary is speculation and will be for around another week or 10 days.
Can you send the source for ICU Vaccination Status. Unfortunately in NI this isn’t released so would be good to see Englands!
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Enfieldian
Thanks - that’s my new back up then if I can’t get CVS to work 👍
If it helps, certain CVS branches in Chicago offer free tests to anyone - no ID or insurance required. They're listed on CVS.com and you can even book an appointment on the website. So it's worth checking on CVS.com if the same option is offered at any CVS locations in NY/NJ.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JackDann
Can you send the source for ICU Vaccination Status. Unfortunately in NI this isn’t released so would be good to see Englands!
I work for the NHS, so I am able to see this on our intranet. However there have been quite a few newspaper articles reporting similar figures eg The Guardian had a recent article from an ICU registrar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.