Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Are you bailing on leisure travel right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you bailing on leisure travel right now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Not bailing
In USA (mco) now, very relaxed here, had to swap lft test for pcr but at least had not booked and paid for lft before the rules changed.

Seychelles or Dubai in Jan, USA and Jamaica in Feb/march, Thailand in early April with work trips sprinkled in the middle. We'll go to the places we can and not worry about the places we can't go to. All these trips are refundable either as BAH bookings or avios so the downside is limited.

We don't know if omicron is going to be bad or not but being triple jabbed and with the opportunity to escape the British winter multiple times we are a lot more fortunate than most in this world so are counting our blessings.

Last edited by firstlight; Dec 3, 2021 at 5:26 am
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:20 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
We have decided to go 'somewhere' every month in 2022; hopefully on an aircraft. I am completely unconcerned about flying or going anywhere (I would love to be in Cape Town in the next couple of months). I am far more concerned about various government reactions to changing situations.
We were in the US last weekend when the latest edict was issued concerning return to the UK, which originally was not given a time scale. Luckily our LFTs were still going to be OK, if only I could remember where I left them.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:25 am

Very much so - too much hassle with rules changing every 5 mins, for example just wasted £35 on a rapid antigen for a flight to Dublin tonight only for the Irish gov to delay the rules until Sunday, now Randox won’t refund…it’s a complete, pointless, racket. The idea of wearing a mask on a long haul flight completely ruins the experience for me personally. Sadly I think it’ll be this way for at least several years yet and we’ll see how many airlines are left at the end. I’m not remotely concerned about COVID, never have been, so I’m not jumping through hoops to sit on a plane somewhere.

Last edited by mfhpfl; Dec 3, 2021 at 5:31 am
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:29 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Test to return: airport testing at LHR T5, £67 with BA code. Results by 10pm next day, so only self-quarantine is for day of landing and maximum* end of following day.
Results by 10pm is now much too late, unless you are not traveling until the day after that. The new one-day requirement has scuppered a lot of people's previous plans
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mfhpfl
Very much so - too much hassle with rules changing every 5 mins, for example just wasted £35 on a rapid antigen for a flight to Dublin tonight only for the Irish gov to delay the rules until Sunday, now Randox won’t refund…it’s a complete, pointless, racket. The idea of wearing a mask on a long haul flight completely ruins the experience for me personally. Sadly I think it’ll be this way for at least several years yet and we’ll see how many airlines are left at the end. I’m not remotely concerned about COVID, never have been, so I’m not jumping through hoops to sit on a plane somewhere.
Where did you read that about Irish Gov/Dublin, theres 4 of us going Sat and just had our tests done
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by rolandrat
Where did you read that about Irish Gov/Dublin, theres 4 of us going Sat and just had our tests done
Announced this morning - delayed until Sunday 5th as the airlines/airports whatever weren’t ready. Check RTE/BBC. It’s infuriating
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by 1P
Results by 10pm is now much too late, unless you are not traveling until the day after that. The new one-day requirement has scuppered a lot of people's previous plans
As a ‘UK Regions’ traveller, this is a key point. Three days seemed to satisfy most Nations, so the US approach is … ahem … approaching impossible for many pax with connections and/or restricted test facilities. I’m hopeful that Dr. Fauchi’s “Chicken Little” reaction will taper off once more data on omicron is analysed.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
As double-jabbed and boosted Elders, we are sufficiently bloody-minded to carry on as normal as much as possible. Not interested in Euro-hopping, but instead seeking long-haul to warm places!

Managed an ANU in Aug, and have PUJ in Jan and PHX in Mar. So it's all a bit inconvenient and a bit more expensive and a little bit risky? Life's a ....., and we just get on with it! We're certainly not going to spend our remaining years sitting at home, wrapped in blankets, thank you.
Good on you. I'm planning on retiring in two years time and have a bucket list of places that I want to visit - but I don't want to feel as if I'm in a hospital ward whilst flying there. So, if face masks are still a thing then we'll not be flying. We're trying to live life to the full - attending old 80's concerts, dining out as often as possible - certainly wont be staying at home wrapped up in blankets
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Part of me feels I’ve done loads of travel. Did 15 trips last summer before testing introduced. So I don’t feel like I need to travel.

The massive faff of going places, plus sky high prices. But more the chances of absolutely anywhere requiring quarantine at no notice - particularly hotel quarantine. And thus constantly checking the news whilst away, leans me towards cancelling.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Nope. I will not be binning off leisure travel, I'm in the USA next week for xmas and NY and again at Easter. I will overnight at Heathrow before travelling so that I can get any tests done in the timescales necessary. I spoke with United Airlines and they said a LFT was acceptable so that is what I've booked. Turnaround time is 40 minutes so for travel to the USA, I don't see what the fuss is. Yes PCR test on the way home plus quarantine, if you do one of those airport tests again, you'll only need to be indoors for a day or so.

As far as Omicron goes, until we see a higher mortality rate among the vaccinated than Delta, I will not worry.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mfhpfl
Announced this morning - delayed until Sunday 5th as the airlines/airports whatever weren’t ready. Check RTE/BBC. It’s infuriating
Bugger!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by docsxx
With Omicron around I don’t want to take chances, we’ll stay put until more is known for double vaccined people. In a coupe of weeks we should know more.
Problem is (at least from my point of view): after Omicron there'll be 'Megacron' or 'Ultracon' or whatever else. It's not going away. So you may find yourself in a forever delay scenario when it comes to travel. Totally personal choice to be respected, of course, but that's my thinking of the situation.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta Silver, AA, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm American and I took my Thanksgiving trip last week (Belgium), but there were times I was a little concerned about getting back or the requirements to get back. Luckily it worked out fine. Still planning my trip in 2 weeks to Cozumel right now. The new entry requirements to get back home will be a pain (I'm vaxxed so I used to have more time for testing), but not something that will cause me to cancel as of right now. No other trips are planned as of yet for 2022.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by bakera
We're cancelling everything until face masks are no longer required, both onboard and at the destination. Some people seem to think that face masks are here to stay, in which case we'll be converting our 700,000 Avios to Nectar points and enjoying the British scenery for years to come.
I fear you may be waiting some time
Silver Fox, T8191, jonr405 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
As leisure travellers only and not having left the UK since pre Covid, we are excited about our trips to Spain (Jan) and the US (Feb).

Whilst nervous about the ever shifting testing requirements, I think we’ve factored in the time and money to manage those. Both triple vaxxed but still aware that there is a risk of testing positive while away but if we test positive when back, we are fortunate to be able to self isolate at home

Overall today we are less optimistic about the trips going ahead than a few days ago but right now I’m
comfortable to pay the balance of our Spain trip in a
week or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.