Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Are you bailing on leisure travel right now?

Are you bailing on leisure travel right now?

Old Dec 8, 21, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
If travelling, say, Friday lunchtime or later and returning on Sunday of the same weekend You can take your Chronomics Fit to Fly test before you leave the UK and print the certificate. You therefore know before you travel that you have a negative certificate to get you home before you’ve even left the UK. After all, the test can be taken 2 days before travel back to the UK. I did this a lot the last time round which was especially easy because we could take the test 3 days prior then.
In the event of a positive result wrap up your tickets into an evoucher and go isolate.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 21, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by binman View Post
Mr and Mrs Binman both triple jabbed and both from today in isolation with positive PCR tests. Mrs Binman also has positive LFT but mine are clear.

Glad I bailed on the Christmas market
A bit off topic, but curious: how are you guys doing? Feel like the booster kept the symptoms down some?

I'm slated to go to Central Asia in March; spent summer there on a wing and a prayer, but job allows me a lot of flex to work remotely should I get hung up on a negative PCR. Leisure travel w/out a flexible schedule and low family commitments would make traveling right now hard for me.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 21, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
As fully vaccinated will probably become three doses, anyone fully vaccinated should be exempt from this theatre now unless they are showing symptoms. We're never getting out of this otherwise.
JimEddie, passy777, mfhpfl and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 21, 3:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
In terms of visiting the UK, being pinged and being required to isolate is what would put me off travelling a bit, with Omicron pings requiring isolation for 10 days regardless of the vaccination status.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 8, 21, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Originally Posted by DrGee View Post
It's also the thought of a positive test while away from home that gives me the heebie jeebies. Given that I've recovered from covid and received 3 doses of vaccine I really ought to be more sanguine but it's a nagging doubt for me.
I've had to take a test several times in recent months when flying back home but the possibility of being positive never seriously entered my mind because I examined the risk factors where I was going, such as the number of cases per 100,000 for example, which made the risk of catching it while away vanishingly small. Most people don't consider and assess risk well.
Old Dec 8, 21, 4:03 pm

Just got back from UK (nov23), good timing eh? The only problem here in Anchorage is that it is about 20 degrees colder than normal. We have snow and a Trump fan for mayor, ouch!
T8191, gustavmahler and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 8, 21, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by vanmunchen View Post
I've had to take a test several times in recent months when flying back home but the possibility of being positive never seriously entered my mind because I examined the risk factors where I was going, such as the number of cases per 100,000 for example, which made the risk of catching it while away vanishingly small. Most people don't consider and assess risk well.
I think the general theme, and certainly in my case, is that I do not live my life in fear of catching covid. What I do worry about is what governments will do.
Old Dec 8, 21, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by vanmunchen View Post
The issue I would have with that strategy is that you are determining the risk on the information readily available. Many governments will attempt to supress the real numbers and factoring in that many countries have more robust information gathering and testing than others.

Attempting to assess risk is fine, but you need accurate information to determine the level of it.
scoonee and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 9, 21, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold, VA Platinum.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
I think the general theme, and certainly in my case, is that I do not live my life in fear of catching covid. What I do worry about is what governments will do.
Yes indeed. I have let my passport lapse for now, but still attempt to take domestic flights from time to time, which can themselves be problematic.

Such fun! Not what it used to be. Leisure travel is really anything but.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 9, 21, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
I have not stepped on a plane since early Feb 2020, this is the longest time I've gone without flying, and since the latest announcement yesterday by the UK govt re Omicron and compulsory masks and wfh again if possible it looks like I am grounded for a while longer.

I was planning a week away to Lisbon for mid January but I've changed my mind. I accept the need for testing, mask wearing and social distancing. I also accept the need to self-isolate until a negative test result. But what I can't cope with is the fact that governments bring in changes at the drop of a hat and throw plans into disarray. It's a hassle contacting airlines let alone trying to find places to be tested and trying to do this in another country is frankly not worth the hassle, especially if it's a holiday.

The thought of testing positive and being forced into some government mandated quarantine facility that you have to pay for scares me. Plus the thought I or my OH might fail the pre-departure test to return to the UK, let alone being ill, however mild, in a foreign country (even if it is western Europe) just makes the whole idea of travelling off-putting. That said I do wonder if these last-minute procedures and changes are designed to put us off the idea of leisure travel by air as it helps governments meet their climate change commitments.

I feel very sorry for all companies and people who work in the travel and wider leisure industry as these last minute government changes must make it terribly difficult to plan and the negative impact on their revenue and the bottom line must be scary.
Crampedin13A and passy777 like this.
Old Dec 9, 21, 1:46 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
One thing I'm unclear on - does the announced rule change of daily testing replacing self-isolation mean that there's no longer the risk of 10 days isolation when you get off a plane?

If so, that's a significant improvement and reduces the risk for people traveling with kids that have to go back to school on return.... assuming of course it applies to them as well even if not yet double jabbed...
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Dec 9, 21, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by northinsouth View Post
A bit off topic, but curious: how are you guys doing? Feel like the booster kept the symptoms down some?

I'm slated to go to Central Asia in March; spent summer there on a wing and a prayer, but job allows me a lot of flex to work remotely should I get hung up on a negative PCR. Leisure travel w/out a flexible schedule and low family commitments would make traveling right now hard for me.
We are both well. Mrs Binman appeared to have a cold then tired, before a LFT gave a very clear positive result. Follow up PCR also positive. LFT for next 3 days positive but today hardly noticeable result.
My LFT negative throughout including today, but PCR on Tuesday positive. I have no real symptoms but feel a bit lethargic but that could easily just be time of year.
I know friends who had covid having been double jabbed who had rough time of it, so I am grateful I had my booster about a week before I became infected. For Mr & Mrs Binman, the vaccinations do appear to have worked.
Old Dec 10, 21, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
I was a bit worried about our mini-trip to Naples this week. However the Covid Digital pass works a treat in italy to get into places (as long as you show the Dose 2 QR code, not 1 or 3).

Pre-departure LFT at NAP airport probably took all of 15 mins, then it was just the uploading into Verifly, then check in as normal. Will complete the Day 2 test as soon as we get home.

The additional cost is a pain but as this was an OB redemption, and the hotel was a redemption, the overall cost hasn't been too bad.
Old Dec 10, 21, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
I'm cancelling a TP run from Bucharest to San Francisco due to start this weekend due to the additional PCR testing requirements for getting into Romania. As of today, UK passengers need a negative PCR test to be taken within 48 hrs of arrival into Romania. It's starting to turn into more hassle than its worth, so will take the FTV and accept a new booking might cost me a bit more.

Next trips in my diary: Las Vegas in Feb, Yosemite in Apr, San Francisco in Jun and Yellowstone in Aug. Not planning on bailing out of those, unless things significantly change.
Old Dec 10, 21, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
There's a reason hotel prices aren't high in Alaska in February.
It's good time for Aurora photos. I will see how situation with tests and other requirements develops and will try to fly there or Hawaii in Feb-March.

Search this Thread