Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has anybody ever checked in a (boxed) baby car seat (or something in similar size)?

Has anybody ever checked in a (boxed) baby car seat (or something in similar size)?

Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Hello

Very uncommon question for me but I am sure someone of you can help:

Mr & Mrs Duck1981 expecting their first child in February and we are flying to BER next week. Mrs Duck1981 had now the idea to buy a baby car seat in Germany as it'll be tax free.

Now I am wondering - what are my chances that I can check that thing (flying Y in BA to LCY) actually in? I am unfortunately not really sure how big the actual box will be, nor have I ever checked in anything apart from the usual luggage.

Of course worst case scenario would be that the - from what I have read here 'excellent' - Swissport staff at BA will refuse on Sunday night to check in the thing or we have to unpack it, I think both scenarios make it not worth the effort. Also of course pointless if the thing falls under anything which is under the oversize baggage category.

Thanks - please note that I will spam you with more baby flying questions next year

Cheers
D
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve checked in boxes containing things many times. Just make sure it’s adequately packed to withstanding transit. Contact the seller to ask the dimensions or find it on Amazon and check there, and then check it falls into Ba’s limits.

However…do you really want to abandon a piece of safety equipment to the vagaries of airline luggage handling? With a small but not inconsequential risk of unseen damage occurring, just to save a few quid?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wouldn't - for the reason Swanhunter says. Checked baggage can be subjected to considerable impact force.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
However…do you really want to abandon a piece of safety equipment to the vagaries of airline luggage handling? With a small but not inconsequential risk of unseen damage occurring, just to save a few quid?
Originally Posted by fripperies
I wouldn't - for the reason Swanhunter says. Checked baggage can be subjected to considerable impact force.
Really?

Whats stops the safety item getting unseen damage when its shipped to the store originally - its not like you or the store xray it for damage, i think people are being over the top here, its a car seat, its designed to be taken in/out of cars, often older kids will be clambering over it.. the life a car seat can be a hard one, to suggest it may not to survive a simple trip in checked baggage in its shipping box is scare mongering to me. Note there are many company that sell bags for car seats, and infact car seats are one of the many items you can check in for free when you are travelling with children.

What are you supposed to do if you want to rent a car when you travel with children? Trust the car rental car seats? Or take your own?
kellytoronto and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 1, 2021 at 10:06 am Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I always checked in the car seat without any boxes.
1. it’s usually free to checkin so it can be addition to your normal limit.
2. baggage handlers see what it is and not going to throw it everywhere. Also it most likely would need to be dropped off at the oversize items.

our car seat came with a bag so was easy to keep all parts together.

I’ve never had any issues with sizes. If you check BA website you could check in quite large boxes.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:08 am

In my brief career as a check-in agent I checked in an entire bog (as in a WC seat), a shower tray, plenty of LCD screens and boxes of mangos bought at the Shepherd's Bush market. As a passenger I had to bring in a country the metal bit of an APU outlet as my "personal" item of luggage so... the bottom line is that it should be fine assuming the box is within the limits. The agents will have seen a lot worse in their career, believe me.

The one thing I would check, however, is BACF's rules for baggage on the website. The Embraers are loose-loaded and are generally small, so they might be a bit different. If at all possible I'd rather fly on mainline.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Having seen people checking in washing machines and huge great big TVs at both Heathrow and Gatwick, it's definitely feasible. If it's too big for the luggage belt at the desk, you'll asked to drop it off at the oversize baggage area. Your main thing is the weight but a car seat isn't that heavy so I expect you'll be well within normal limits there.

Make sure it's securely packed within the box, and the box is sturdy.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
You mention that it will be tax free in Germany.

Don't forget that because of BREXIT, depending on the country of manufacture of the item (i.e. country of origin if not of EU manufacture), the total value of the item, and probably whether you are bringing in other new items for personal user over your allowance (which I think is a total of Ł390), you may be obliged to declare it to HMRC and pay UK taxes on it. Of course, many people may decide not to declare it in any case...
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you do decide to buy it in Germany, also buy a car seat carrier bag. This is a duffel style zip up into which you put the car seat when you check it. It saves the thing from getting dirty from hold-juice when you check it and is also useful to stuff in jackets and so forth.
Duck1981 and ThatT1Feeling like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The amount of tax saved is small compared to the ridiculous amount of hassle involved to get it to one airport and home from another.

If you are buying an ISOFIX stand at the same time, those tend to weigh a ton. If you aren't, then you have to cross your fingers that the Maxi-cosi seat you buy fits into the UK bought stand. (it should, but YMMV...)
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
We bought car seats, buggies etc and took them to Switzerland years ago absolutely fine. Although the relevant text has vanished from the website, BA still seem to allow oversize "bags" so long as they're within your weight limit. And those things are usually packed pretty well inside the boxes they come in. Your problem, as beardedgeologist says, is likely to be customs at the UK end, in our halcyon days of post-Brexit...
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Yes, several times and also a pram and accessories. My advice would be keep the seat in the original box, so the baggage handlers see what it is. Bubble wrap the seat if you can. The BA checkin staff were excellent and always asked me to take it to oversize baggage are in at T3 (PRG & ARN). Box always came out perfect at the other end. I think when they see it's for kids they treat it with some care.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I just happen to have a newly delivered Joie Bold 1/2/3 car seat in its box right near me.
Weight - Gross, 15.5Kg....Net 13.00KG.
I find the shape difficult to carry when it weighs 15.5 KG.

Size of box - 69cm tall, 46cm wide, 52 cm deep.
Difficult to move! Not sure they would take that in to LCY.

Plus - this is a seat without the "Spin" function. I imagine the spin ones might be heavier.

Grandchild has just outgrown the "spin" one. So acquired new one.........
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Really?

Whats stops the safety item getting unseen damage when its shipped to the store originally - its not like you or the store xray it for damage, i think people are being over the top here, its a car seat, its designed to be taken in/out of cars, often older kids will be clambering over it.. the life a car seat can be a hard one, to suggest it may not to survive a simple trip in checked baggage in its shipping box is scare mongering to me. Note there are many company that sell bags for car seats, and infact car seats are one of the many items you can check in for free when you are travelling with children.

What are you supposed to do if you want to rent a car when you travel with children? Trust the car rental car seats? Or take your own?
Having seen how airport luggage systems work, and what can happen to cargo and bags in transit, I’m speaking from personal experience of the damage that can occur.

if you have to do it, fine, but just to save some tax seems a bit extreme to me.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Have checked one in just in a bag before. Took our own on holiday so we knew we wouldnt have any issues with hiring something suitable.

No issues at all.
Duck1981 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.