Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Air travelers to U.S. set to face tougher COVID-19 testing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air travelers to U.S. set to face tougher COVID-19 testing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
When does it start and what tests are fit for purpose? Two small but significant points missed by Biden
On another thread today it was shared that Virgin Atlantic has started advising passengers regarding December 6 start date for the new requirement, and that lateral flow/ antigen rapid tests will be accepted. CDC website still not updated, and that is the ultimate authority.

Hello from Virgin Atlantic: This is an important message regarding your upcoming flight to the US and recent changes to testing requirements. From the week commencing 6th December, all customers aged 2 and above must complete a Covid-19 test within 1 day of departure to the US and present the test certificate with the negative result. A lateral flow self-test is permitted providing that this is observed via a telehealth consultation.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beetles
I agree. Nonetheless, i’m a US citizen and I have control over what my government does by using my vote every other November. I can’t control what your government does/does not require of me.
You may feel this, but in reality neither European or US citizens have ‘control’ over their Governments, they simply have the ability to influence the results of elections every few years.

I’ve always felt these forums were the place to support our collective desire to travel and explore, despite the many challenges that are put in our way. Let us hope that opinions don’t result in all of our nations becoming more isolated. I, for one, am still looking forward to my family’s trip to the US in March.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Ignore me, I was asking about whether it's the day before or 24 hours before, but I see from the White House and the President's tweet it's the day before. The BBC has got it wrong, they are saying it's 24 hours before the departure of the flight.

Last edited by JessicaB; Dec 2, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
We are flying on Boxing Day so just scrambled and managed to secure a supervised test for Christmas Day. Seemed to be a fair amount of availability across the day with Breathe Assured but some of the morning slots looking like they will sell out soon.

Now to pay the balance to BAH and keep our fingers crossed for no more changes in the next three weeks (and for negative tests!).
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by RobDBA
We are flying on Boxing Day so just scrambled and managed to secure a supervised test for Christmas Day. Seemed to be a fair amount of availability across the day with Breathe Assured but some of the morning slots looking like they will sell out soon.

Now to pay the balance to BAH and keep our fingers crossed for no more changes in the next three weeks (and for negative tests!).
We have the opposite problem, arriving back to London on Christmas Eve and need to scramble to book tests so that we don't have to self-isolate on Christmas Day.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Ignore me, I was asking about whether it's the day before or 24 hours before, but I see from the White House and the President's tweet it's the day before. The BBC has got it wrong, they are saying it's 24 hours before the departure of the flight.
All the news media seem to be saying 24 hours. The President and the White House Notes say day before.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by BXK_Oz
All the news media seem to be saying 24 hours. The President and the White House Notes say day before.
I think one news media lifts another's story and they don't check things very carefully. The Washington Post is saying the day before. The BBC is saying 24 hours.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
As it stands, the White House guidance states:

• Strengthening global pre-departure testing protocols: Early next week, the United States will tighten pre-departure testing protocols by requiring all inbound international travelers to test within one day of departure globally, regardless of nationality or vaccination status. This tighter testing timeline provides an added degree of public health protection as scientists continue to assess the Omicron variant.
CNN indicates this requirement applies to "[a]ll flights departing after 12:01 a.m. ET December 6" (https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/n...now/index.html).

I would say "day before" means any time after 12:00:01 AM the day before your scheduled departure to the U.S. However, I would consider calling the U.S. embassy's consular section to confirm whether "day before" really does mean "day before," or 24 hours before. The embassy may have some guidance. And if they don't, I would politely urge them to ask the State Department or CDC (or whoever in the administration is administering this) to issue a clarification. Because, if their internal guidance is not clear, I strongly suspect the administration will rush to update its guidance once various airline gate agents and CBP officers start applying their own interpretations, with chaotic results.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I would say "day before" means any time after 12:00:01 AM the day before your scheduled departure to the U.S. However, I would consider calling the U.S. embassy's consular section to confirm whether "day before" really does mean "day before," or 24 hours before. The embassy may have some guidance. And if they don't, I would politely urge them to ask the State Department or CDC (or whoever in the administration is administering this) to issue a clarification. Because, if their internal guidance is not clear, I strongly suspect the administration will rush to update its guidance once various airline gate agents and CBP officers start applying their own interpretations, with chaotic results.
I know several people who were challenged upon check-in already with the 3-day rule, which many non-U.S. agents interpreted as max. 72 hrs. Sticking to 24 hrs whenever possible will be easiest and avoid many debates.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Beetles
Agreed. US citizens should be exempt from a test that could potentially deny them entry into their own country. And there have been no known transmissions onboard aircraft unless i’ve missed a news article. Airlines have been hyping the high quality hospital grade filters they use onboard.

I can get behind foreign nationals be tested, as they have no constitutional right to enter the United States.
Truth. The testing of US Citizens upon re-entry could probably get shot down in the courts. Surprised the farce has lasted this long.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver,AA,EI&UA
If it is indeed 24 hours, what happens on a 2 leg journey?
I'm booked DUB-LHR-DFW in January departing DUB at 07.05 connecting to LHR-DFW at 12.15 on the same ticket.
Negative test 24 hour before the DUB departure or LHR departure?
Searched but can't find an answer. Anyone care to offer their input?

***Edit with some info I found.***
Just came across an interesting read including the following.
"In preparing for what would be my first international trip since the beginning of the pandemic, I’d checked the airline’s website to find out about the testing requirement. It said passengers arriving in my destination must provide “a certificate for a negative PCR test issued from a verified laboratory within 72 hours (from the time the test is performed) before departure.” I’d confirmed this with the trip organizers. I’d gotten the test and had the certificate in hand.But a critical detail had been omitted from the airline’s .instructions: “Departure” in this case meant the final leg of my three-flight journey — not the initial domestic flight or the departure flight from the United States, but the final connection. I was forced to miss the flight..."
From this article Coronavirus testing for travel is complicated. Here’s some up-to-date guidance. (msn.com)

Last edited by Nil SeAnn; Dec 2, 2021 at 11:29 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nil SeAnn
If it is indeed 24 hours, what happens on a 2 leg journey?
I'm booked DUB-LHR-DFW in January departing DUB at 07.05 connecting to LHR-DFW at 12.15 on the same ticket.
Negative test 24 hour before the DUB departure or LHR departure?
Searched but can't find an answer. Anyone care to offer their input?
It's one day before the first flight, not 24 hours. So if your flight leaves Dublin on Friday you can get tested any time on Thursday. The CDC has updated all the info on its website with a lot of helpful info at the bottom.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver,AA,EI&UA
Originally Posted by districtRich
It's one day before the first flight, not 24 hours. So if your flight leaves Dublin on Friday you can get tested any time on Thursday. The CDC has updated all the info on its website with a lot of helpful info at the bottom.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Thank you for that link. Good to read clarification that clearly states the "day" and not "hours" requirement.
Credit to the CDC for a comprehensive and clearly written FAQ section.
Arsey00 likes this.

Last edited by Nil SeAnn; Dec 2, 2021 at 11:59 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BXK_Oz
Remember that in this day and age 'all news media' typically base their articles on any given press release from one of the major news agencies. It just takes one such press release to not even understand that 24 hours and 1 day are not the same thing (many people not travelling will just assume that the difference is stylistic before thinking of what it entails) and you will get 20, 50, or 100 articles reporting the erroneous information from the same source.
Keystone likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I have been on hold with Express Test for an hour now trying to understand a couple of things and am wondering if anyone on FT has advice they can share - I have a PCR test set for nexts Weds as I am travelling to the US on 11th. I understand that I can use a LFT to travel to the US. I also understand that if I cancel my PCR test with Express Test, I will get a voucher, how quickly does the voucher take to come through so I can use it to book a LFT please? Also, I am planning on using the Terminal 2 testing site the night prior to the flight however, I am travelling to Heathrow by car and around the M25. If I am not able to get to the test site at the exact time, how much latitude do I have to be early/late?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.