Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Berlin check-in closure time 1 hour before departure

Berlin check-in closure time 1 hour before departure

Old Nov 30, 21, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
BER is a check-in disaster right now.

LH advises passengers to be at the airport four hours before departure (which is actually causing the long check-in/security queues at the moment)
Passed through on Sunday night, no problems at security. Though there were BA passengers, who like the OP had been stung by BA's check-in deadline, who were trying to buy tickets for the EasyJet flight. But EasyJet has no ticket office at BER, so not sure how that ended for them...
Football Fan, becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Nov 30, 21, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA G, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton LT Dmd, IC Amb/Dmd, Sixt Dmd, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post

Ok so you are breaking the law by breaking self isolation to attend meetings without having a negative result back from your booked arrival test and deem yourself clear by taking a different test?

Not sure what the different standards are youd need to ask the test company.
Are you saying that people who take this type of PCR test before departure are "putting people at risk" wherever they travel, even if it comes back negative? Yes, you are.
eugnk and RockyRobin like this.
Old Nov 30, 21, 3:09 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Come on, lets not argue - simple fact is, the Govt has set a standard - and to be legally compliant you need to adhere to said standard. Enough said.
stewardo, mrow, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 21, 4:37 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
I cannot tell you how much I hate check-in at BER this year.

Every single time I fly from there - it's either opening late, or there is no priority queue, or the people spend 30 minutes chatting when they should be checking in or the incorrect tag being attached (don't ask me how it happened). Another issue is that the screens tell you check-in is open at T-3h but the people actually on turn up at T-2h or sometimes T-1.5h.

I would log a complaint/customer service form about this. I would be interested to see their response.

For anyone departing BER I would strongly suggest you check the tag they put on your bag, and if it's fragile, make sure it is correctly indicated so and don't turn up at T-3h despite the screens telling you it's open (if not HBO).
Football Fan and SxMan like this.
Old Nov 30, 21, 6:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
No matter how absurd you think the rules are
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
Are you saying that people who take this type of PCR test before departure are "putting people at risk" wherever they travel, even if it comes back negative? Yes, you are.
As I said earlier it doesnt meet the legal arrival test requirements so you are breaking the law if you follow that methodology and deem yourself as cleared.
Old Dec 1, 21, 12:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by angeloedades View Post

I would log a complaint/customer service form about this. I would be interested to see their response.

do it then. If BA gets no complaints, they might think we are satisfied by the current service level - which may lead to further disprovements budget cuts.
Football Fan, becks1 and Deckter like this.
Old Dec 1, 21, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was one of those people that had a love of Tegel, it just worked for me. So I freely admit that the new airport started in negative territory because it simply wasnt Tegel. Sadly when I used it it wasnt a pleasant surprise. Some things are easily fixable, check-in staff being there on time, prioritising customers over yapping to each other, other things like the security channels will be harder as theyre poorly designed and need more tray loading space.
Old Dec 1, 21, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA G, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton LT Dmd, IC Amb/Dmd, Sixt Dmd, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
No matter how absurd you think the rules are

As I said earlier it doesn’t meet the legal arrival test requirements so you are breaking the law if you follow that methodology and deem yourself as cleared.
Possibly. If so, then since yesterday. A day earlier I certainly wouldn't have (and I booked the trip last week, it's just a one-day trip for a meeting - obviously makes no sense to stay in isolation four days for me). In fact, I would have been taking an extra test as a courtesy to the people I am meeting. An extra test in the country, when I had already been getting tested again and again in the days before, outside the country.

Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
Come on, lets not argue - simple fact is, the Govt has set a standard - and to be legally compliant you need to adhere to said standard. Enough said.
​​​​​
Yes. That Govt is a shining example of following the standards they set. See: Dominic C. and Matt H. - they know a thing or two about it. Enough said.

Anyway, the "putting people at risk" comment is silly, if I have a negative PCR from the same day.

Last edited by Football Fan; Dec 1, 21 at 3:11 am
Old Dec 1, 21, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
So I'm breaking the law - and what are you going to do about it?
Maybe clearly stating on a public Internet forum that you are knowingly breaking the law is not the cleverest course of action... #justsaying
Old Dec 1, 21, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by dougzz View Post
I was one of those people that had a love of Tegel, it just worked for me. So I freely admit that the new airport started in negative territory because it simply wasnt Tegel. Sadly when I used it it wasnt a pleasant surprise. Some things are easily fixable, check-in staff being there on time, prioritising customers over yapping to each other, other things like the security channels will be harder as theyre poorly designed and need more tray loading space.
Yes, the airport is a mess and likely to continue so for some time. Security in particular is a terrible shambles, but I am not that convinced it is worse than Tegel was towards the end.

But just to add a positive data point, everyone who assisted my father in law flying back to the UK yesterday evening was unbelievably kind and helpful.
Football Fan and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 1, 21, 3:42 am
Original Poster

My PCR (swab taken by a trained professional) was negative, by the way. I was wearing an FFP3 mask the entire time since my arrival in London when I was around other people.

In theory, I would now still have to wait for another self-administered PCR kit, send that back by mail, then wait another 48 hours. And stay in the room the entire time.

Really makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Dec 1, 21, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In theory, I would now still have to wait for another self-administered PCR kit, send that back by mail, then wait another 48 hours. And stay in the room the entire time.
Not just in theory; in law, too.
stewardo, mrow, KeaneJohn and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 21, 6:51 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, BA Silver
Flew twice from BER in the past 3 months.

The first time was on the 7:10am to LHR with BA. We definitely checked in less than 1 hour before departure (as I parked the car at 6:07am) so it must've been something recent. Security was no issue.

The second time was on a SK flight. I arrived at the airport 40 mins before given it was all dandy last time. However I was bottlenecked in a security and had to (kindly) ask to be pushed to the front of the queue. All a bit of a shambles. I asked some people and apparently BER is more often slow than fast.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Dec 1, 21, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
Not just in theory; in law, too.
Shoot me then.
Old Dec 1, 21, 1:55 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Shoot me then.
Do we have to be this childish on here?
Football Fan, DYKWIA, mrow and 4 others like this.

Search this Thread