Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid test for flying to The Netherlands (non-verifly)

Covid test for flying to The Netherlands (non-verifly)

Old Dec 6, 21, 11:46 am
  #16  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Programs: One World
Posts: 546
Thank you hmv.
I'm looking to fly from the US via LHR to AMS just before Christmas and the above links are helpful (although understand BA might continue to ignore them). I also emailed Public Information Service (part of the Dutch Government) and they also stated that for short transfers in the UK (less than 12 hours) a negative covid test is not required. Hope that someone who is able to successfully transfer in LHR to AMS in then next week(s) will post here to let us know that BA has updated /corrected its stance on negative covid tests for transfer passengers traveling to the Netherlands
WVFM is offline  
Old Dec 6, 21, 6:13 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
Posts: 94
We flew in from JFK to LHR and connected (on a seperate ticket) landside on to Amsterdam. Because the flight originated in the USA which the dutch class as a "high risk" country and our layover was in the UK what they class a "very high risk" country and our layover was less than 12 hours we did not needed a covid test according to the dutch government.

However BA rely on the horrible Travel doc system many airlines have bought into, which cant I presume handle the layover bit.

At check in after our check in person consulted her manager we were told that we needed the test.
I said the manager was wrong and handed the wonderful person who was checking us in my laptop and let her do the dutch travelcheck found here: https://reizentijdenscorona.rijksove.../en/bestemming
She was brilliant and did two versions, one connecting from the USA and one direct from London to AMS. She called her manager again and convinced him/her that we were right and they let us on without the test. BTW we had self tested before leaving the US as I think that is the decent thing to do when travelling.

The link links to an official dutch government page that showed that we do not need testing in our scenario and it doesn't matter if you go landside at the airport.

Last edited by Crismyth; Dec 6, 21 at 6:19 pm
Crismyth is offline  
Old Dec 6, 21, 6:16 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Netherlands
Programs: FB Plat Life, BA GGL + CCR, HH Diamond
Posts: 7
I can confirm the flying from the US to the Netherlands, with a stopover in the UK is a total mess.

Last week I flew SFO-JFK-LHR-AMS. The first leg was with American Airlines, the last two legs with British Airways. In New York I had a 6 hr layover, so I went to the city. In London it was a quick airside layover.

I tried to check-in 24hrs before my first flight and I wanted to use the VERIFLY app. However, I learned that this app does not work if there is a layover in a different country. Basically, you can create a trip in VERIFLY to the NLs but it only shows the direct flights.

Since I am a Dutch citizen and fully vaccinated, I do not require testing (since I'm staying airside in LHR). What I need is a PLF for the UK, the proof of vaccination and a Dutch health declaration. Since the BA app also forced me to upload a test result, I decided to just go to the airport the day before. I had a very early morning flight and didn't want to risk any messy start of a loong flight back home.

So I went to the airport and approached the American Airlines check-in desk. I explained that I wanted to check-in for my flight to Amsterdam for the next day. After one minute, the friendly lady asked me for my test certificate. I told her I didn't need one. She was resolute. It didn't matter that I showed her on my Surface all the official UK and Dutch government pages. I needed a test certificate, as per the guidance on her screen.

Earlier that day I rang American Airlines who also confirmed I didn't need testing. They referred to Sherpa, a system that keeps track of all country legislation. She told me that the check in system does not use Sherpa. And she said again, I need to see your test certificate.

She told me that for every passenger that they let pass without the right COVID docs, American Airlines would get a $30k fine. It had already cost them $1m+ she said. So she was very careful. Probably because they trace the mistakes back to the check-in agent.

Then another American Airlines colleague overheard our conversation. She went through my records and saw that in the American Airlines system, my connecting flight from London to Amsterdam didn't have arrival/departure times. She entered these and said that with this information, their system understands it's a layover. So different rules apply. She confirmed that I didn't need a test certificate.

Thank goodness! For a moment I thought I had to take a last minute PCR test, which runs in the hundreds of dollars. It took me close to an hour but I got checked in, with my boarding pass in my hand.

The rules are complicated - and if you see the text that the check-in staff needs to read, you almost need to be a lawyer to understand. It's crazy.

Lesson learned: I'm super happy I went to the airport the day before to get this fixed. Otherwise I would have had so much stress in the morning. Hopefully the OP will have smooth travel.

PS double check in advance about the rules. They change frequently.
FlyerDirk is offline  
Old Dec 7, 21, 2:09 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by flyerkit View Post
I am transiting Amsterdam for 40mins tomorrow LHR-AMS-LHR as the start of an Ex-EU

As noted above, unfortunately BA requires a negative test result in compliance with entering Netherlands, even for a transfer.
This means a quick self done Lateral Flow at home later today (within 24hrs of flight) for all of our party. No big deal, but irritating.

You also need a quarantine certificate from the Netherlands website to keep with you during the transit (saying you are exempt because you are transiting)
That's because this is not a transit - it's across two tickets [not sure if there's an official term, some round here call it "self-connecting" or similar]. If BA let you on without you being able to enter the Netherlands they would get fined should you try to do so, as the contract for the first ticket is just to take you to the Netherlands and is not affected by the ex-EU. In the event that you do the same when on an actual transit [i.e. one ticket] I presume their defence is that they sold you a connecting ticket and it's not their fault you're trying to do something different.
KARFA likes this.
etiene is offline  
Old Dec 7, 21, 4:39 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
That's because this is not a transit - it's across two tickets [not sure if there's an official term, some round here call it "self-connecting" or similar]. If BA let you on without you being able to enter the Netherlands they would get fined should you try to do so, as the contract for the first ticket is just to take you to the Netherlands and is not affected by the ex-EU. In the event that you do the same when on an actual transit [i.e. one ticket] I presume their defence is that they sold you a connecting ticket and it's not their fault you're trying to do something different.
Transit is a transit doesn't matter if it is on two seperate tickets, I just did it two days ago from MCO-CLT-JFK-LHR-AMS with the LHR- AMS being on a seperate ticket We had to pick up luggage re-check in so went landside. For the Dutch rules land or airside doesn't matter you can even transit by train/ boat under the dutch regulations as long as it is less than 12 hours.

Problem is other than the shear pettiness of the dutch government to have separate rules for the UK compared to as the rest of the planet. Is in our case the BA system could not deal with the fact we are transiting on separate tickets and the check in staff also are confused (not in our case)
Crismyth is offline  
Old Dec 7, 21, 4:42 am
  #21  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,861
The problem is if you are on two tickets doing LHR-AMS-LHR you run the real risk of the airline treating you as an arrival and requiring you to comply with all arrival requirements for the Netherlands. They may not have sight of the other ticket, and are not obliged to treat you as transiting at AMS.
KARFA is online now  
Old Dec 7, 21, 5:38 am
  #22  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Programs: One World
Posts: 546
Has anyone ever had their documents checked upon arrival (in NL or US)?. I get it that at departure (checkin) the airline staff needs to check against the current requirements for travel but i have now travelled several times with the Dutch health declaration and vaccination declaration forms and upon arrival in NL no one ever checks any documents....... In reversal when flying to the US at AMS they airline took my US attestation but never looked at what box was checked (vaccinated, recovered, tested) or who signed the paper. And upon arrival in the US no one asks for any document. It seems that the whole exercise is more a ticking the box thing than actually preventing covid from spreading.......
WVFM is offline  
Old Dec 7, 21, 8:26 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by Crismyth View Post
Transit is a transit doesn't matter if it is on two seperate tickets, I just did it two days ago from MCO-CLT-JFK-LHR-AMS with the LHR- AMS being on a seperate ticket We had to pick up luggage re-check in so went landside. For the Dutch rules land or airside doesn't matter you can even transit by train/ boat under the dutch regulations as long as it is less than 12 hours.
I was slightly wrong here: I think the usual definition of transit requires onward travel to a third country, so a B2B doesn't count even if on one ticket. I think that's the technical industry definitions though, and I suspect the Dutch rules are silent on exactly where one goes on their onward flight. BA's insistence that the OP have the test result shouldn't be a big surprise though.

Originally Posted by Crismyth View Post
Problem is other than the shear pettiness of the dutch government to have separate rules for the UK compared to as the rest of the planet. Is in our case the BA system could not deal with the fact we are transiting on separate tickets and the check in staff also are confused (not in our case)
The UK is currently one of 20 countries on the "very-high risk" list - hardly "the UK vs the World" - and has been due to the high level of infections for the last four months. I think the main issue with this list is it doesn't seem to take into account the level of infections here in the Netherlands, which is now higher than in [e.g] the UK and makes the distinctions somewhat silly. None of it is petty unless you have your victim hat on though.
etiene is offline  
Old Dec 7, 21, 10:39 am
  #24  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Programs: One World
Posts: 546
It now looks the UK is requiring a covid test even when transiting (updated December 7)


Airside transit

Airside transit is when you do not pass through UK border control. You remain ‘airside’ before you leave the UK on your connecting journey.

You need to take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England.

You do not need to complete a passenger locator form before travel to England.

When you are in England you do not need to quarantine or take any COVID-19 travel tests.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...hrough-england
WVFM is offline  
Old Dec 7, 21, 10:48 am
  #25  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,861
Yes that's correct. Transit, including airside transit, requires a lateral flow test within 2 days of your departure to the UK.
KARFA is online now  
Old Dec 14, 21, 6:58 am
  #26  
hmv
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 638
No news yet from BA regarding my claim. To recent fliers: Is BA still following the same policy?
hmv is offline  
Old Dec 25, 21, 5:56 am
  #27  
hmv
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 638
Update regarding my claim: BA has confirmed that I was right and that a Covid test was not required based on the Dutch regulation on the Dec 1st/2nd and will get the costs refunded. This might also means that other pax might be able to follow my tracks and claim back their costs for the mistake they made.
StingWest likes this.
hmv is offline  
Old Dec 26, 21, 6:19 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Posts: 2,396
Originally Posted by WVFM View Post
Has anyone ever had their documents checked upon arrival (in NL or US)?. I get it that at departure (checkin) the airline staff needs to check against the current requirements for travel but i have now travelled several times with the Dutch health declaration and vaccination declaration forms and upon arrival in NL no one ever checks any documents....... In reversal when flying to the US at AMS they airline took my US attestation but never looked at what box was checked (vaccinated, recovered, tested) or who signed the paper. And upon arrival in the US no one asks for any document. It seems that the whole exercise is more a ticking the box thing than actually preventing covid from spreading.......
I've been to NL a couple of times during the pandemic and despite an overwhelming number of checks and declarations pre flight, absolutely nothing on arrival. I just use the e-gates as always and that's the end of it.
South London Bon Viveur is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 2:51 pm
  #29  
hmv
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 638
Will be flying to the UK and back again to The Netherlands next weekend and was wondering: if I do a PCR in The Netherlands on friday afternoon, with a flight back scheduled on Sunday morning, will I be allowed to use my Dutch testresult on the BA return flight or does it have to be taken in the UK?
hmv is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 3:28 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 4,390
Originally Posted by hmv View Post
Will be flying to the UK and back again to The Netherlands next weekend and was wondering: if I do a PCR in The Netherlands on friday afternoon, with a flight back scheduled on Sunday morning, will I be allowed to use my Dutch testresult on the BA return flight or does it have to be taken in the UK?
Should not matter where the test is done, as long as it is done in the correct time window
scottishpoet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread