B2B covid document requirements by BA.

Old Nov 28, 2021, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
B2B covid document requirements by BA.

I am flying LHR AMS LHR PHL soon. I have a 40min transit at AMS then 1.5hrs at Heathrow.
However I am concerned that BA might want me to show docs to enter Netherlands, as the initial AMS is a separate ticket. No big deal, and logically they will not do it, because they kkow my plans to route to USA (for which I have relevant docs). Reason for concern is that on a recent visit to Milan they required a negative test, despite me doing a transit (different airline).

Any recent B2B Amsterdam experiences?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I did that yesterday (27 Nov) although the B2B to AMS was to complete the ex-EU itinerary. For the LHR-AMS journey I needed to provide a negative covid test along with the other Dutch paperwork before I could check in. I also booked 2x Day-2 Antigen tests for the LHR bound flights (before and after AMS) so that I have the 2x ref numbers to fill in the England Travel Authorization form twice.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Can’t help on the details but BA will definitely not see any logical link between separate tickets. You will need to meet the requirements for each ticket as if it were a separate journey.
flyerkit and Anonba like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I am doing exactly this on 26/12 before flight to USA on 27/12 so very interested in this. plan to get USA test 26/12 afternoon and use the same test result for AMS that night, hoping LHR staff can do both out and back boarding passes ….
flyerkit likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowdownlo
I also booked 2x Day-2 Antigen tests for the LHR bound flights (before and after AMS) so that I have the 2x ref numbers to fill in the England Travel Authorization form twice.
Ah good point. Now they have to be pcr tests!
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerkit
Ah good point. Now they have to be pcr tests!
As it stands, yes.. but they may go back to LFTs if they discover the vaccines cover the new variant.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Having just done an ex-EU to the US on the return you only need to book one Day 2 test (LFT or PCR as it may be), you need to select transit option in the Passenger Locator form (aka. travel authorisation doc on VeriFly):

JFK/US XXX-LHR: vaccination proof, PLF/travel authorisation form (<48hrs before arrival, transit option selected without passing UK border control) upload to Verifly
LHR-XXX: vaccination, PLF (if relevant for your destination), negative pre-departure covid test (if relevant for your destination), upload to Verifly if available for your destination
XXX-LHR (final leg of B2B): vaccination, PLF (stay in the UK, which will trigger a series of further menus including Day 2 test booking ref number), upload to Verifly
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Just another thought... My return will be BOS LHR AMS then AMS to LHR, so should do a Netherlands entry and then only one England PLF... (only 1 test) unless Netherlands adds a requirement for transit or BA in USA needs a UK PLF for the transit at lhr
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyerkit
Just another thought... My return will be BOS LHR AMS then AMS to LHR, so should do a Netherlands entry and then only one England PLF... (only 1 test) unless Netherlands adds a requirement for transit or BA in USA needs a UK PLF for the transit at lhr
There was technically supposed to be no requirement for a PLF for transits at all but Verifly insists on one for you to be able to complete it so I did one (but no test requirement as you select transit not stay in the UK) - see my email above for the docs I submitted on my own return.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I am doing exactly this on 26/12 before flight to USA on 27/12 so very interested in this. plan to get USA test 26/12 afternoon and use the same test result for AMS that night, hoping LHR staff can do both out and back boarding passes ….
Using the same PDT test results certificate for both your positioning to EU and to enter the US is fine (don't let Qured or anyone else tell you otherwise). Assuming you use Verifly and get the OK (i.e. the passes) for both (i) your journey back to the UK (leg 1 of your main ticket) and (ii) leg 2 to your first US port I see no reason why you would not be able to generate your boarding passes (I managed to get BPs for my positioning to EU, first leg back to LHR, then JFK and also even onto SFO beforehand, my AA coded final flight to LAX need to be printed in the US) - BUT when starting your main ticket in AMS you may well be asked at the gate before boarding to show your documents (or the Verifly pass which does the job)
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:57 pm

I also booked 2x Day-2 Antigen tests for the LHR bound flights (before and after AMS) so that I have the 2x ref numbers to fill in the England Travel Authorization form twice.
Just to add that I had an overnight stop over in London before the B2B to AMS so I did not choose the transit option and opted for doing the Day-2 test twice.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:09 pm

Just to add that I had an overnight stop over in London before the B2B to AMS so I did not choose the transit option and opted for doing the Day-2 test twice.
To be fair, the UK government guidance doesn't make the exemption in this scenario the easiest to find as it's buried way down a long list (after all the exempt professions) but for such landslide transits where you do clear border control e.g, stay in a hotel overnight, it's as follows:

Landside transit

Landside transit is when you pass through UK border control on arrival, but you leave the UK shortly after (usually within 24 hours). You may leave from the same airport, railway station or port where you arrived, or from a different one, so long as you travel directly to that port of departure.

If you transit landside, you do not need to take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England if you:
If you do not qualify as fully vaccinated or you have been in a red list country, you need to take a COVID-19 test in the 3 days before you travel to England.

Check separate guidance to see if you qualify as fully vaccinated for travel to England.

You must complete a passenger locator form before you travel to England.

You need to do the following when you complete your passenger locator form.
  • select ‘Stay in the UK’ under the Your travel plans section
  • reply ‘I will be travelling for an exempt reason’ to the question about whether you are required to self-isolate on arrival
  • select the Exemption options, and then select ‘Transit Exemption’
This includes if you are transiting onto the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. You may need to show evidence of onward travel and where you will be staying at the border.

When you are in England you do not need to quarantine or take any COVID-19 travel tests.

You must either:
  • remain within your port of entry until your departure from England
  • travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

In the PLF these options come up once you start to type "transit" in the exemption reasons

flyerkit, lowdownlo and POG like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:54 pm

This is very useful especially given the cost of the Day-2 test is going up due to LFT is no longer accepted
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nh1980
To be fair, the UK government guidance doesn't make the exemption in this scenario the easiest to find as it's buried way down a long list (after all the exempt professions) but for such landslide transits where you do clear border control e.g, stay in a hotel overnight, it's as follows:

Landside transit

Landside transit is when you pass through UK border control on arrival, but you leave the UK shortly after (usually within 24 hours). You may leave from the same airport, railway station or port where you arrived, or from a different one, so long as you travel directly to that port of departure.
When I went to do my PLF on my mobile phone for AMS-LHR-USA tomorrow, expecting to follow your useful guide, I was pleased to see that the option of "Transit" is there right at the beginning of the process - making the PLF really easy to do.
Phew!

As noted above, unfortunately BA requires a negative test result in compliance with entering Netherlands, even for a transfer.
This means a quick self done Lateral Flow at home later today (within 24hrs of flight) for all of our party. No big deal, but irritating.

You also need a quarantine certificate from the Netherlands website to keep with you during the transit (saying you are exempt because you are transiting - otherwise you have to give an address in NL!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.