Wiki Posts
Search

Abandoned in Edinburgh...not Aberdeen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by antichef
EDI to ABZ is 127 miles.
I once dealt with an admin wallah who had a similar range of error on a mileage claim I had submitted. I told them we would start from where I had claimed from and I would put them out of the car at the mileage point they would pay to and they could walk back to the office from there. In this case about 27 miles!!

On my previous diversions there has always been a coach, so clearly a bigger problem than normal.

As a personal thought I would have been even more stuck than the OP. My driving licence has been off for renewal since September and I only got it back yesterday (I have HGV1 [C+E] and those renewals are the subject of other threads!). Have not been able to hire a car since then.
Jeez, why are we arguing about this? All I said was that calling this situation "just horrific" as someone called it was a bit hyperbolic - even OP agrees with this. I've never sought to suggest it was okay, or to suggest that there was nothing to complain about. Frankly, if it is 127 miles driving or 92 miles flying, it makes bugger all difference to anything.
mrow and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 28, 2021 at 5:40 pm Reason: Rule 16
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by binman
i didn’t say it was right, but it is reality! If you want to hang about for hours waiting for someone to hold you hand be my guest, but travelling in the sure and certain knowledge that you may be let down, and being prepared is just sensible! If BA then deliver something better than expected it will be a bonus.
So everytime you fly BA you book separate accomodation (somewhere en route) and are prepared for diversion in the event of "being let down"? Sounds like that is what you are insinuating....being prepared and all that! Well done you certainly better than anything I could ever do. For me, and I could ofcourse be totally wrong in managing my own expectations but I buy a ticket to get from A to B. If one cannot then I would expect the carrier to sort it out and not for me as the customer to "be prepared" for all eventualities. Better have no champers in lounge and on board and be prepared to hire that car one way or whatever! One should not have to wait for hours. I would hope BA have learnt a lesson on this one....but probably not.
bafan, zanderblue and AirbusA350 like this.

Last edited by nivsy; Nov 29, 2021 at 12:00 am
Old Nov 28, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
I think it’s more like a quick think through of what if contingency planning. What if my flight is late? What if I miss a connection? What if it is diverted? I have established reactions to each situation, so if it does happen those expecting me can have a good guess at my reaction.
BA6501 and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:22 pm

I was once stranded at Atlanta, and in a distressed state with no idea how to continue my travels in an unfamiliar place.

The couple in front of me said they'd secured a rental car, and would I like to throw in 50 dollars and they'll get me where I need to be. I accepted.
It saddens me that the UK is now such a 'me, me, me' society that people didn't club together and do that as a first response. I'd have tried to arrange this before we even left the plane.
This adds nothing to the thread, of course, or the OP's ongoing concerns, but maybe it'll help someone think about it if they're ever in a similar situation.

As for covid concerns, they were on a plane together for hours, possibly the lounge too, so a car would be no different. Moot point.
muscat and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FT01
I was once stranded at Atlanta, and in a distressed state with no idea how to continue my travels in an unfamiliar place.

The couple in front of me said they'd secured a rental car, and would I like to throw in 50 dollars and they'll get me where I need to be. I accepted.
It saddens me that the UK is now such a 'me, me, me' society that people didn't club together and do that as a first response. I'd have tried to arrange this before we even left the plane.
This adds nothing to the thread, of course, or the OP's ongoing concerns, but maybe it'll help someone think about it if they're ever in a similar situation.

As for covid concerns, they were on a plane together for hours, possibly the lounge too, so a car would be no different. Moot point.
i got stuck in Düsseldorf in snow just before Christmas in 2010 with two kids. 6 of us clubbed together and rented a minibus to get to the hook of Holland. I paid using my credit card but one of the group drove, rather recklessly as it turned out, and we got done got speeding inside the Dutch border. As I paid for the rental I was responsible despite being able to provide the name address and driving licence details of the driver.
several request to him to do the right thing were ignored. I appealed the fine even going as far as returning to Utrecht to appear in person to fight my case. The court were sympathetic but the law was clear.

I hope the @&£)bag is reading this!!!
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
We see relatively few cases of infection directly linked to flights, though there are definitely cases where it has happened. On the other hand, car sharing is one of the major ways people catch COVID, along with visiting friends and relatives. I don't think I'm particularly selfish, but I would not be offering a car share to randoms at the moment.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:09 am

Programs: Ba gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully you took some screen shots of the options at the time. If there wasn't a sensible option going at £200, then BA will be obliged to pay the full amount. HIE isn't exactly top of the range. You may have a bit of hassle on this, but you can use either MCOL or CEDR for this. £200 is just their guideline, they have been known to pay more than this, even if a somewhat reluctantly.
thanks for the info regarding MCOL and CEDR , I have zero experience going down this route and hope in the end I don’t have to, I feel I’ve acted reasonably here, We caught the bus to Waverley in the morning to keep costs down and didn’t bill BA for onward travel to Aberdeen as we are all rail staff with travel passes,one thing I didn’t do though was to take screenshots of the edinburgh hotel availability at the time simply because I was concentrating on securing 2 rooms ASAP for my party of 4 as I thought most other pax would be doing similar.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Out of curiosity, would the passengers been within their rights to request a return to Heathrow and full refund claiming trip in vain?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:03 am

I asked about returning to London, there were 2 flights still to leave EDI but both were oversold so that was a non starter
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Out of curiosity, would the passengers been within their rights to request a return to Heathrow and full refund claiming trip in vain?
Yes, EC261 allows for a refund of the cost and a return to the start point, provided the trip doesn't serve any purpose for the traveller's original travel plans. Not something that airlines like doing, and sometimes pragmatically it involves buying a new ticket and claiming both back from the airline, but strictly speaking the airline should be supply a return flight to the start point at the earliest opportunity.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by nivsy
I think the issue is not the distance per se but road....not an easy drive sometimes and over two hours to achieve, not withstanding the razmataz of getting car, loading and unloading, returning to car rental station etc etc....
And that’s assuming people could actually drive, had a licence with them, hadn’t been drinking etc…I would have expected BA to provide hotel accommodation at Edi and then put people on next day flights…
skiaplg and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by bafan
...and then put people on next day flights…
The EDI-ABZ flight?
choosethedrew, bafan and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
The EDI-ABZ flight?
Mmm. I see.

Well, you know what I mean - onward travel - BA should have arranged it the next day (if not possible the same day).
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully you took some screen shots of the options at the time. If there wasn't a sensible option going at £200, then BA will be obliged to pay the full amount. HIE isn't exactly top of the range. You may have a bit of hassle on this, but you can use either MCOL or CEDR for this. £200 is just their guideline, they have been known to pay more than this, even if a somewhat reluctantly.
just a follow up on this…. BA settled up with me today to the tune of 783.14 , they didn’t challenge anything , the 2 rooms I booked at 280 each which was 80 over their guideline and I put our dinner receipt in which was 185 and they paid that in full too without contest. Apart from the obvious disappointment of our plans going to pot I’m more than happy with the outcome.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darrencobb
just a follow up on this…. BA settled up with me today to the tune of 783.14 , they didn’t challenge anything , the 2 rooms I booked at 280 each which was 80 over their guideline and I put our dinner receipt in which was 185 and they paid that in full too without contest. Apart from the obvious disappointment of our plans going to pot I’m more than happy with the outcome.
Good to hear, I submitted by £430 claim on Sunday (28th) and not heard anything yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.