Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ABZ Cancellations today - Options to get home? Advice greatly appreciated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

My friend has just been cancelled in ABZ due to wind. All 3 today have been. He has been rebooked Sunday afternoon but wants to attempt to get home before then.

Do you think BA would rebook from EDI? And pay for the taxi/bus/train to EDI? Or just move the flight as within 300 miles? Does this apply here?

Or any other genius ideas from anyone? Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It really is blowing somewhat up here in the Pennines, and a bit of blizzard too. No trains north of Berwick on LNER, and shortly no trains north of Newcastle. So your best bet is EDI Saturday PM by which time the wind should have died down. I'd take the train to EDI (GLA may for once be better) and expect to self pay for that ticket. However BA can re-route on to LNER, ask the agent to check the LNER guidance. But again it's best to forget Saturday morning, it's going to get worse before it gets better. I'm not even thinking about my sheep tonight!
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It really is blowing somewhat up here in the Pennines, and a bit of blizzard too. No trains north of Berwick on LNER, and shortly no trains north of Newcastle. So your best bet is EDI Saturday PM by which time the wind should have died down. I'd take the train to EDI (GLA may for once be better) and expect to self pay for that ticket. However BA can re-route on to LNER, ask the agent to check the LNER guidance. But again it's best to forget Saturday morning, it's going to get worse before it gets better. I'm not even thinking about my sheep tonight!
Will let him know. Thanks for the help as always.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: KLM Silver
A mate of mine is on BA1312 which eventually landed at Aberdeen this afternoon, apparently they won’t let them off due to health and safety issues regarding the steps - Talking of flying back to LHR - sounds absurd. Some passengers currently citing medical emergencies to try and get released.
flyerkit and george77300 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABZMike
A mate of mine is on BA1312 which eventually landed at Aberdeen this afternoon, apparently they won’t let them off due to health and safety issues regarding the steps - Talking of flying back to LHR - sounds absurd. Some passengers currently citing medical emergencies to try and get released.
I think it’s simply too windy for a lot of the ground services. But that doesn’t sound like fun.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ABZMike
I have had that at EDI, on the year that Hogmanay got cancelled at the last moment. They were worried that opening the doors would either blow the aircraft over (well, that's my recollection) or the steps would smash into the fuselage. We waited 30 minutes or so, then the captain did a 3 point turn and all was well. Except for those wearing hats, they would have lost those.
sammyg901, ENTP, anniegray and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: KLM Silver
He’s off now.
Apparently someone threw the medical emergency card to force the situation.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What about their bedtime stories?
squawk likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
What about their bedtime stories?
Get thy wellies on, I'm sure they would be pleased to see thee.
rapidex and squawk like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly

Looks like BA1438 is also on a mystery tour...
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Originally Posted by Tocsin
One earlier diverted to GLA, looks like a lot of missed approaches so far, saw a Jet2 and EasyJet who managed to stick the landing
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Tocsin
Going back to LHR.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by Airprox
Going back to LHR.
Wonder if they'll get extra tier points

Note: wind whistling through north-facing window in Northumberland as I type - not surprises there is some disruption!
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
Going back to LHR.
I hope the IFM has found plenty of peppermint tea (or something stronger), that would have been about as bad as it gets. From BA/flightstatus it almost looks like they will have another try, departing T5 at 23:30 hrs, I suspect a few may bale out of that option.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Wind dies down. Then ATC breaks. Imagine that’s the cause of the diverts now. Both EZY and BA to GLA/EDI. Not even managed to make an approach…

Can’t imagine BA ops are having much fun. 2 planes stuck at ABZ, one more diverted. 6 flights full of people needing to get back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.