Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You or one of your party could also catch Covid and you'd be able to reschedule, although paying any fare difference. I imagine it'd be a refund on fare in this case !
I don't think it does. BA might offer some discretion, but I don't think they are obliged to. Besides, any half-decent travel insurance would cover falling ill with Covid.

Happy to be corrected, but in terms of Covid related items that matter right now, I don't think BA Holidays gives any better protection than a flight-only option. In fact, it's probably the other way around. With flight-only, you can change right up to the day of departure. With BA Holidays, the flexibility gets a lot tighter 3 weeks from departure.

You get ATOL protection with BAH, which would cover if BA went bust. But that's hardly likely to happen between now and Christmas (and you'd get the money back on the credit card anyway).
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by zen100
I don't think it does. BA might offer some discretion, but I don't think they are obliged to. Besides, any half-decent travel insurance would cover falling ill with Covid.

Happy to be corrected, but in terms of Covid related items that matter right now, I don't think BA Holidays gives any better protection than a flight-only option. In fact, it's probably the other way around. With flight-only, you can change right up to the day of departure. With BA Holidays, the flexibility gets a lot tighter 3 weeks from departure.

You get ATOL protection with BAH, which would cover if BA went bust. But that's hardly likely to happen between now and Christmas (and you'd get the money back on the credit card anyway).
You are incorrect - the T&Cs are clear - if you or someone in your household catches COVID, you can amend holiday within three weeks of travel as I noted above

Flexible booking | Information | British Airways

Terms and Conditions - Holidays1. To make a “date change only” to a British Airways Holidays booking please call our contact centre. To “cancel your booking and exchange for a voucher”, which enables the flexibility to change your whole booking (destination, dates etc), please complete the form here.

2. Eligibility to either “change” or “cancel your booking (in exchange for a voucher)”, using our book with confidence commitment, is available for all bookings made after 3 March 2020 for any travel dates from 1 January 2021 to 31 August 2022.

Date changes must be made, or cancellation (in exchange for a voucher) must be requested at least three weeks prior to travel. Less than three weeks' notice will be accepted if new UK government rules are introduced within this time that prevent your trip or require you to quarantine in a designated hotel on your return.

If you, someone in your household or someone included in your booking receives a positive COVID-19 test or you’ve been told by the Government or NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, within 3 weeks of your departure date, we will waive the change fee, although you will need to pay any difference in price. Cancellations made within 3 weeks of travel remain subject to standard Terms and Conditions.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You are incorrect - the T&Cs are clear - if you or someone in your household catches COVID, you can amend holiday within three weeks of travel as I noted above

Flexible booking | Information | British Airways
Yup, I concede you're correct on that point - hadn't spotted that.

But my second (and underlying) point still holds true as far I can see. BA Holidays doesn't give any more protection over flight-only on Covid related matters, which is what I was originally responding to - a person booking flight-only would get the same flexibility.

I suppose Book with Confidence flexibility only applies to flights up to September 2022 (assuming it doesn't get extended). But the OP was talking about December 2021.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Yikes!! I feel like such a tw@t! I had my head in the Facebook Gold/GGL world where no one would have batted an eyelid and I forgot that FT is more in the real world. I can only apologise to those who find it offensive.

We have always made such great savings taking the family away using GGL redemptions that we tend to splurge on the accommodation. But we have a large sum tied up in our South Africa trip which is what I meant by financially constrained. We're leaving the extended family at home so it will just be 2 adults and 2 tweens (the awkward age between 10 and 13).

Maldives for Christmas is crazily expensive and booking 3 weeks out was never going to be a bargain. Just had a look on BA Hols and the cheapest 10 day trip with Y flights is Ł3k per person with most available hotels at Ł6k plus per person. With PE flights the cheapest trip is Ł4k per person with most hotels at Ł7k+ and in J the cheapest trip is Ł6.4k per person with most hotels over Ł9k. That is the context in which Ł33k was a good deal and the trip I booked yesterday is now coming up at Ł40k.

We definitely won't be going is a stint at the Croyden Holiday Inn is required.

I think the BA Hols protection will cover us if the Maldives goes on the red list because FCO advice against non-essential travel tends to follow. Furthermore the Book with Confidence policy provides:

Anyway, happy holidays one and all.
1Aturnleft and ratechaser like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Yikes!! I feel like such a tw@t! I had my head in the Facebook Gold/GGL world where no one would have batted an eyelid and I forgot that FT is more in the real world. I can only apologise to those who find it offensive.
So you've remembered that you're talking to the little people and not to the privileged elite you usually mix with?
dpark74 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I forgot that FT is more in the real world.
Were you able to type that without laughing?
toothy, dpark74, TTmex and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Misco60
So you've remembered that you're talking to the little people and not to the privileged elite you usually mix with?
This is becoming hilarious. I wasn't offended until the OP started talking about people being offended
dpark74 and TTmex like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Oh blimey!! I've accepted I've been an @rse! I'll stop digging.
Mods - do you want to delete / lock this thread given that I no longer need holiday ideas?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Mods - do you want to delete / lock this thread given that I no longer need holiday ideas?
I was rather hoping for a trip report
Grog likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:32 pm

Seriously though, I hope you have a lovely trip
ratechaser and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:26 am

Looking to get an idea on where people have decided on instead of South Africa (assuming you haven’t just given up on a trip full stop).

We were due to go in January but even if it reopens for travel we’ve decided against it, not because we’re afraid of covid but because I do t want another snap closure and being stuck there. For the same reason I’m ruling out other potentially “dangerous” places such as Mexico or places with ridiculously onerous testing such as Abu Dhabi even though we’re fully vaccinated.

We want somewhere reasonably warm so we’re looking at Florida & a few days in Puerto Rico. Failing that, maybe Europe but I’m not sure where.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
For the same reason I’m ruling out other potentially “dangerous” places such as Mexico ...
I live in Florida and have been to resorts in Mexico during Covid as we had to leave and re-enter the USA for documentation purposes. Personally, I think you're safer in a resort in Mexico (where there are indoor mask mandates and vaccination checks) than in Florida where there's literally nothing.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

also i think a lot of Europe can be a little dodgy if you want relatively warm temps. Maybe the canaries?

Given the need for 2 tests coming back from anywhere how about dubai for the expo etc?
you would need a pcr test to enter though.
I sm thinking of going back in early Feb

Regards

Tbs
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
I live in Florida and have been to resorts in Mexico during Covid as we had to leave and re-enter the USA for documentation purposes. Personally, I think you're safer in a resort in Mexico (where there are indoor mask mandates and vaccination checks) than in Florida where there's literally nothing.
Sorry when I said “dangerous” I didn’t mean from the point of view of catching covid. I meant that it may get put on a red list. I don’t see USA going on one, Mexico may however
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

also i think a lot of Europe can be a little dodgy if you want relatively warm temps. Maybe the canaries?

Given the need for 2 tests coming back from anywhere how about dubai for the expo etc?
you would need a pcr test to enter though.
I sm thinking of going back in early Feb

Regards

Tbs
We were in Dubai in September and loved it but I’m not sure if we’d be bored for 10 days only 4 months later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.