Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks everyone. Some lovely ideas here.

I love California and I’m looking forward to Coachella with my girlfriends next year for a big birthday. We also love Hawaii and had a fantastic time in Maui and the Big Island. Our trip to Argentina and Uruguay for Christmas 2015 was fabulous, especially Punta del Este where we stayed at the extraordinary Playa Vik.

For this year I have just on a whim booked 4 club work seats to the Maldives and I’ve got the 24 hour cancellation period to find somewhere to stay. Flights surprisingly reasonable and less than Premium Economy which I would have booked given that this trip is somewhat financially constrained.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Newly Wed

I love California and I’m looking forward to Coachella with my girlfriends next year for a big birthday. We also love Hawaii and had a fantastic time in Maui and the Big Island. Our trip to Argentina and Uruguay for Christmas 2015 was fabulous, especially Punta del Este where we stayed at the extraordinary Playa Vik.

For this year I have just on a whim booked 4 club work seats to the Maldives and I’ve got the 24 hour cancellation period to find somewhere to stay. Flights surprisingly reasonable and less than Premium Economy which I would have booked given that this trip is somewhat financially constrained.
Maldives at Christmas and financially constrained don't really operate in the same sphere. Good luck with that one!
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S

It depends on where you want to stay. If you can accept to stay in a luxurious guest house in an inhabited island then it is not expensive. The monsoon has passed and the seas are not rough now.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
wake up and smell the coffee a proliferation of "smash and grabs" streets parks roadways full of homeless from SD to Portland to Seattle. If the state is so great why is there a outward flow of people? We lived in HalfMoon Bay, Belmont, El Dorado Hills and SD Ill informed no sir/madam. If one stays at a resort and does not "take in the local flavor" you're fine.
I'm going to resist the temptation to assume you get your news from a solitary cable news network and that its echo chamber informs your worldview. But if that's not the case, how in the hell can you generalize so broadly?
renila, Skimo, Grog and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Chris_G
It wasn't a joke...I'm onboard BA263 tomorrow out to Riyadh for one week to see how things have changed since I left 4 years ago.

The trip was originally scheduled for before the Covid...but the Saudi's nicely extended my tourist visa till April.

See the country now before it changes anymore and it becomes more touristy like the UAE. Other posters above agree.

I'll be enjoying a desert campout next weekend with some friends...Chris
Any good craft beer bars in Riyadh?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
Any good craft beer bars in Riyadh?
Not everybody needs alcohol to have a good time on holiday.

*Weirdos

renila, Grog, Arsey00 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by edgewood49
wake up and smell the coffee a proliferation of "smash and grabs" streets parks roadways full of homeless from SD to Portland to Seattle. If the state is so great why is there a outward flow of people? We lived in HalfMoon Bay, Belmont, El Dorado Hills and SD Ill informed no sir/madam. If one stays at a resort and does not "take in the local flavor" you're fine.
Admittedly, I was never a fan of Portland or Seattle, California.

The outflow of people is mostly due to the high cost of living resulting from insufficient housing stock. Demand is outstripping supply.

It all reminds me of the Yiddish joke about the old lady complaining of a restaurant, "The food was awful. And the portions were so small!"
Grog likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that the main issue that the OP is facing right now is the predictable uncertainty we will all have to powerlessly experience in coming weeks. Several of the destinations mentioned upthread are no longer realistic or authorised, and it is worth noting that the hazards are multilateral here: countries the UK might put on the red list (e.g. Southern Africa), countries that might close their borders entirely to tourists (e.g. Israel), countries that might specifically put the UK on the red list especially if UK numbers of cases involving the omicron variant were to go up in coming weeks which is entirely possible given the strong links between the UK and South Africa.

In that sense, I can see no "definitive" alternative, and with family in tow, the question is whether it is even worth risking multiple plans being consecutively cancelled and reorganised.
Globaliser and BrianDromey like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Not everybody needs alcohol to have a good time on holiday.

*Weirdos

You cant even get through breakfast without it

M
DYKWIA and TTmex like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

So, 9 nights in the Maldives it is. Staying that the Fairmont which looks nice enough. £33k including J flights, sea plane transfers, Christmas gala dinner and the kids eat free. Converted to a BA holiday so well protected if we can't travel due to further restrictions.

Mr NW felt bad so gave me a blank cheque, and I was tempted by the Waldorf but I couldn't bring myself to spend another £20k plus it looks like it would have cost a further £1k per day for F&B.

Not a bad result and hopefully our non-refundable accommodation in Cape Town (booked and paid for in January 2020) will still be there for Christmas 2022.
renila and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh... I think my wife might have had words about a £33k 'solution' to this problem. But kudos to you for making it work out
simonsmith, DYKWIA and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
So, 9 nights in the Maldives it is. Staying that the Fairmont which looks nice enough. £33k including J flights, sea plane transfers, Christmas gala dinner and the kids eat free. Converted to a BA holiday so well protected if we can't travel due to further restrictions.

Mr NW felt bad so gave me a blank cheque, and I was tempted by the Waldorf but I couldn't bring myself to spend another £20k plus it looks like it would have cost a further £1k per day for F&B.

Not a bad result and hopefully our non-refundable accommodation in Cape Town (booked and paid for in January 2020) will still be there for Christmas 2022.
£33k and you have to go in CW?

Sorry, hard not to bite.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least you’ll get double tier points…
TTmex likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
33k? You could have had dinner for two at Salt Bae's restaurant for that.

ratechaser and babyg_wc like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:15 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TTmex
33k? You could have had dinner for two at Salt Bae's restaurant for that.

I think my budget could just about run to a kebab...

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/202...-et-steakhouse
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.