Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:45 am

On the BBC news feature from Aberdeen two nights ago, a local wandered past wearing shorts. I can only assume that means it must be about 25C and therefore no need to go overseas.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Well, I'd recommend to avoid making any fresh bookings for longhaul destinations.
Many governments are hyperventilating -> so it's likely that we may see a "March 2020"-type of escalation of border closures.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Chris_G
Riyadh...going there on Saturday myself...

Unusual destination, a great deal to see if you enjoy 4X4 rides in the desert and archaeological stuff with rock carvings that rival Petra...

Beaches down in Jeddah

Worked there for several years...

Chris
How is this even remotely helpful?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I appreciate it's controversial and I don't know how I'd feel about it but given your position or it how it might affect your travel insurance but what about still heading to ZA via Mauritius (Comair fly MRU-JNB) then heading back to Mauritius on the way back for 10 days R&R before flying back to the UK
Have to agree it's controversial. Hard to imagine OP would choose to risk spreading an unknown virus to the good people of Mauritius just to save a holiday.
scoonee and goblazers like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by largeeyes
How is this even remotely helpful?
Don't understand this comment I am afraid. Not all of us Germans only like to go to Majorca.

Have you ever been to the Middle East?
olouie and lorcancoyle like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Don't understand this comment I am afraid. Not all of us Germans only like to go to Majorca.

Have you ever been to the Middle East?
I can't speak for largeeyes but I have been to the Middle East many times (as well as very many other countries across the world) and I wouldn't remotely consider going to Saudi Arabia for tourism, for very obvious reasons.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Riyadh...going there on Saturday myself...

Unusual destination, a great deal to see if you enjoy 4X4 rides in the desert and archaeological stuff with rock carvings that rival Petra...

Beaches down in Jeddah

Worked there for several years...

Chris
I take it you are Christopher and not Christina.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Disclaimer: 1st World Problems

Similar boat here except was looking for contingencies if Austria doesn't come out of lockdown by the time we're due to go for NY.

But with a single vaxxed 16 YO in tow, insane prices over new year to everywhere warm that BA goes, a very narrow window to work with, and a new variant that could be popping up anywhere soon, it's a bit like throwing solid gold darts, at an inflatable dartboard, blindfolded, whilst locked in a hotel room for 10 days...

If we do end up having to change plans it will either be a second NY at home, or a very last minute deal. I know what my money's on.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
All suggestions greatly appreciated.
You don't seem to be getting many viable suggestions. So here's my go
- Southern / quieter resorts in Florida / Texas / Louisiana area
- Caribbean
- Mexico
- Costa Rica (depending on the vaccine status of the teenagers)
- Canaries
- Azores
- Cape Verde
- Persian Gulf / Oman.

I would say that Oman rarely disappoints in this department.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I can't speak for largeeyes but I have been to the Middle East many times (as well as very many other countries across the world) and I wouldn't remotely consider going to Saudi Arabia for tourism, for very obvious reasons.
I only met extremely friendly people when staying in KSA offering great Arabian hospitality, have seen great untouched scenery and beaches, so there are very obvious reasons for me to go there. What is very obvious for you is maybe not so valid for others, just saying.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Maybe Rio?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- Caribbean
- Mexico
- Canaries
- Azores
- Cape Verde
- Persian Gulf / Oman.

+1 on Oman, and everything around South Beach Miami / Caribbean might be rather expensively priced by now.
Ramos likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
-I would say that Oman rarely disappoints in this department.
Along the lines of the reasons not to go to the Middle East in general, Mrs Harry became anything but her patient calm self when she appeared to become Mrs Cellophane to the men allegedly serving people in Muscat. Needless to say the Middle East is not somewhere we are likely to visit again.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by stevie
I take it you are Christopher and not Christina.
Yes I am male...and yes I stand by what I wrote. KSA is still off the tourist trail and as such is very interesting to visit.

The Saudi's have smartened up their act on many levels, tourism being one and of course the women driving issue is now a non problem...at long last...

Although hardly a beacon of human rights its still moving in the right direction and is now probably a deal better, or at least the equal, of other places most of us visit without a second thought...

Chris
wrp96, Duck1981 and Ells like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: Some
- Caribbean
- Mexico
- Canaries
- Azores
- Cape Verde
- Persian Gulf / Oman.

Don't forget California, although it certainly won't be cheap over Christmas! I love Oman at this time of year and have spent New Year's there before but it's a bit of a pain to get there at the moment with no BA direct flights and Oman Air only flying a few times a week. I think connecting with a large family for what should be a 7 hour direct flight is not going to be the most fun. My advice would also be to be cautious on the Middle East generally given it would be the logical next domino to fall if travel restrictions spread given Dubai and Doha are probably the two busiest flight lanes from Southern Africa.( I say this as someone that has two trips to DXB booked in December currently and is getting slightly nervous about this.)

If you are going to connect anyway I would be tempted to make it worthwhile and go to Thailand or similar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.