Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping with a mask on lie flat seat?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A face mask would work quite well as an eye mask!
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My experience so far is :-

No mask on a window Ying Yang> only when I left seat - was never asked to put one on.
On way back I had an aisle so wore my mask without being asked - compliance in J was about 50%

Just done 2 Qatar legs in Q suites and masks were removed as soon as we sat down (I observed others doing to the same and I'm confident not one mask was being worn in J whilst seated) and only put back on when going to the loo or leaving the plane. The crew seemed very comfortable with this too.

Now awaiting being told what a selfish and irresponsible passenger I am!
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:20 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by kingcole974
My experience so far is :-

No mask on a window Ying Yang> only when I left seat - was never asked to put one on.
On way back I had an aisle so wore my mask without being asked - compliance in J was about 50%

Just done 2 Qatar legs in Q suites and masks were removed as soon as we sat down (I observed others doing to the same and I'm confident not one mask was being worn in J whilst seated) and only put back on when going to the loo or leaving the plane. The crew seemed very comfortable with this too.

Now awaiting being told what a selfish and irresponsible passenger I am!
Qatar has a different policy
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:21 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by VSLover
just wear a mask and be expected to wear a mask on board.

that solves everything, no?
Until when?
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:22 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ukgooner
If you have anxiety issues about breathing, or you have asthma or other breathing restrictions you're not going to get a good night's rest.
Plenty of asthma sufferers have testified that they have no problem whatsoever with mask-wearing. It's a psychosomatic thing.
A P Yu likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by VG31
Is mask wearing actually enforced at LHR? I know they are supposed to be mandatory (unlike STN for instance), but I was there yesterday and there were quite a few staff and some passengers without masks.
When I was at LHR earlier this month, I observed several Heathrow mask enforcement officers who did ask people who weren't wearing masks to put one on. Everyone who was asked complied and did not claim to be exempt.

As is the case on TfL, masks in LHR is not a legal requirement but just part of the terms for being on their private property
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
If you fly to the US mask wearing is obligatory- don’t think LHR internal rules overrule this law
This was not the case when I flew last month.

Informed the airline before that I was exempt, provided a letter confirming this, and that was that. Crew were aware as it was added onto my booking notes. Announcement was standard one along with stating that there were people who were exempt on the flight etc etc

Edit - that was with Virgin - with BA flights over the summer I didn't even need to provide a letter. I just told the crew and had my lanyard. Crew had absolutely no issue with it whatsoever.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Why would you think it's okay? Mask on at all times, unless actively eating or drinking. I've been able to sleep while wearing a mask on a TATL flight in biz, you can too.
The question is, will the crew wake you up if the mask, say fell off whilst you’re sleeping?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
The question is, will the crew wake you up if the mask, say fell off whilst you’re sleeping?
see above where i was poked awake to mask back up. then apologized to hours later for being woken up.
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
These questions have no firm answers ! Each crew member has a different approach - strict / relaxed / etc
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
The only rabbit hole I'm interested in is the fact that some weirdos seem to sleep with a duvet over their heads!
This is how I sleep -- turned away from the aisle, with a duvet over my head. The mask frequently slips below my nose. Nobody is lifting the blanket to check.
NoY and TheRealBabushka like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Okrib
This was not the case when I flew last month.

Informed the airline before that I was exempt, provided a letter confirming this, and that was that. Crew were aware as it was added onto my booking notes. Announcement was standard one along with stating that there were people who were exempt on the flight etc etc

Edit - that was with Virgin - with BA flights over the summer I didn't even need to provide a letter. I just told the crew and had my lanyard. Crew had absolutely no issue with it whatsoever.
Were you flying to/from the the USA?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
Were you flying to/from the the USA?
Yes, about 6 weeks ago, though it was with Virgin.

Previous BA flights were all within Europe.

No issue with either, and no issue in the US (in California) being exempt from masks.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by hungry
I just hope that when we go for our delayed Honeymoon in March in First Class the mask rules have been dropped, as it will be the first (and almost probably only) time I get to experience F
I don’t think there is ever a moment while I am awake in First where I am not eating or drinking. And certainly not for your first First!

So you’ll likely only need it moving around or napping.
NoY and Scots_Al like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by noFODplease
I don’t think there is ever a moment while I am awake in First where I am not eating or drinking. And certainly not for your first First!

So you’ll likely only need it moving around or napping.
Totally agree, usually when sitting in Club/First there’s hardly a time when there isn’t a full glass or plate infront of the passenger so for me the mask is worn for take off until the meal/drink service then is removed until I need to use the lav. If you sleep at a window seat or facing away from the aisle then it’s never an issue, even more discreet in the new club suite
noFODplease likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.