Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping with a mask on lie flat seat?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
wearing a mask and eye shade was mostly not a problem for me on my longhauls recently.

unfortunately on my LHR-LAX, i was zonked out and obviously at one point i scratched it off my face in my sleep. a crew member poked me awake to make me put it back on. no big deal since normally i had been sleeping fine with a mask on other long hauls. didnt bother me much. plus these are the rules!

what was bizarre was a few hours later in the forward galley the gentleman who woke me up saw me standing there and said "wait, were you the person i woke for a mask not being on?"

me: "i dont know, i am in 1K, i was asleep?"

him: "im so sorry, its fine, i dont really care, im sorry for waking you up"

me (internally): ok? thats great? you woke me up at the time? i didnt sleep much after? how is this helpful and why would someone in F get a special dispensation?

indicative of the sub-par crew to LAX the other week really.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:55 pm

Well maybe I'll be the first to answer the OP's questions

Official - Masks are mandatory
Unofficial - They typically won't wake you if your mask is off your face when you are asleep or laying down with eyes closed

See it is possible to answer without becoming sanctimoniuos
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by hungry
What if the passenger has the rainbow exemption lanyard or badge?

I understand these are accepted at LHR? Assume they are still accepted during flight?
Is mask wearing actually enforced at LHR? I know they are supposed to be mandatory (unlike STN for instance), but I was there yesterday and there were quite a few staff and some passengers without masks.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by VG31
Is mask wearing actually enforced at LHR? I know they are supposed to be mandatory (unlike STN for instance), but I was there yesterday and there were quite a few staff and some passengers without masks.
Airports like to use such language to get people to comply and in an airport, people are used to such compliance.

The fact of the matter is no establishment in England can force anyone, or make the wearing of face coverings compulsory. That ended as soon as the law changed. You cannot even be asked to put one on or reasons as to why you're not wearing one. To do so would be illegal, but they don't like you to know that.

I personally think the airlines are treading on thin ice with continued 'enforcement', but as far as airports go in England, it is purely down to your personal preference.
kingstontoon, VG31, hungry and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
Absolutely, OP asked for BA’s policy, not everybody’s opinion.
true, and that policy is on their website.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think just to clarify the above, in England the SI which related to wearing of face masks has been revoked back in July. Not the case in Scotland and Wales, and I assume also in NI, where laws remain in force for wearing masks.

For England the airports can have their own policy about mask wearing. If you don't comply then they can ask you to leave their property.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:30 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
The only rabbit hole I'm interested in is the fact that some weirdos seem to sleep with a duvet over their heads!
And this is exactly why I said that this thread should be closed as now it’s opened up a forum for abuse.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
For England the airports can have their own policy about mask wearing. If you don't comply then they can ask you to leave their property.
I doubt that would happen in LHR considering many of the staff not wearing masks were more "official" types like security staff and Border Force.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think just to clarify the above, in England the SI which related to wearing of face masks has been revoked back in July. Not the case in Scotland and Wales, and I assume also in NI, where laws remain in force for wearing masks.

Very dodgy territory given its covered in the Equalities Act.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kdhurst380
Very dodgy territory given its covered in the Equalities Act.
As I said earlier, probably best if this doesn't go down the usual face mask rabbit hole, and perhaps I have now inadvertently been dragged down it myself
VSLover and FlyingGames like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
just wear a mask and be expected to wear a mask on board.

that solves everything, no?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I've done it multiple times LAX to NRT, like somebody else further up said, cloth breathes a little easier.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I just hope that when we go for our delayed Honeymoon in March in First Class the mask rules have been dropped, as it will be the first (and almost probably only) time I get to experience F
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hungry
I just hope that when we go for our delayed Honeymoon in March in First Class the mask rules have been dropped, as it will be the first (and almost probably only) time I get to experience F
I flew first First in a mask and had a ball. Enjoying the comfy seat, LPGS and the food meant I didn't even notice it much. Just enjoyed that little bit of paradise that is looking out of the right hand window staring over Labrador
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by JackDann
And this is exactly why I said that this thread should be closed as now it’s opened up a forum for abuse.
Clearly! Lol, I'm assuming this is humour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.