Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just got Silver status - free seat reservation for existing bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club

Hi

I’ve got several future BA bookings made when I was at Blue and Bronze status. Now I’ve just reached silver.

However when I try to reserve seats on my next years flight bookings BA are still quoting a price to do this.

Is this correct? Do I only get free seat reservations on new bookings made SINCE I reached Silver status?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Nope applies to bookings already made. Give it a day or two (or three!)
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jcmurray
Hi

I’ve got several future BA bookings made when I was at Blue and Bronze status. Now I’ve just reached silver.

However when I try to reserve seats on my next years flight bookings BA are still quoting a price to do this.

Is this correct? Do I only get free seat reservations on new bookings made SINCE I reached Silver status?
No, it'll allow you to do it, just don't expect to be able to do it straightaway. BAs systems are very disjointed and it can take a while for everything to sync up.
I turned Gold a few months months back and it took over a week for everything to work (like being able to select row 1 in CE). Also had to explain myself to get access to the First lounge.
jcmurray likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You should get free seat selections on all bookings as long as you remain silver (or gold). With the way the executive club IT system is at the moment, I suspect that your status is only partially processed.
jcmurray likes this.

Last edited by kanderson1965; Nov 19, 2021 at 10:52 am
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
As others said you should able to do it.
If you have anything coming up soon ie. next week I suggest to try to call. Agents are able to do many things even if the BA IT doesn’t let you do it. I know calling not always easy at the moment though. You could try twitter team too.
jcmurray likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
With the exec club being down you will possibly struggle to add seats to existing bookings. I am being asked to pay for seats reservations on new bookings. Once they fix these exec club log in issues you should be able to assign seats
jcmurray likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Krisz
As others said you should able to do it.
If you have anything coming up soon ie. next week I suggest to try to call. Agents are able to do many things even if the BA IT doesn’t let you do it. I know calling not always easy at the moment though. You could try twitter team too.
Pretty much all they can do is remove and re-add your EC number and hope it syncs everything up. My OH hit gold at exactly the same point I did, on exactly the same flights, his status was reflected within 48 hours... mine took over a week and nobody could explain why; beyond "it just takes time for the systems to talk to each other".

That's not to say it's not worth a try, but don't be surprised if even BA can't overcome BA's many IT shortcomings. We're witnessing that as we speak...
jcmurray likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by kdhurst380
Pretty much all they can do is remove and re-add your EC number and hope it syncs everything up. My OH hit gold at exactly the same point I did, on exactly the same flights, his status was reflected within 48 hours... mine took over a week and nobody could explain why; beyond "it just takes time for the systems to talk to each other".

That's not to say it's not worth a try, but don't be surprised if even BA can't overcome BA's many IT shortcomings. We're witnessing that as we speak...
there is a process to assign seats to anyone with any status. The agent just have to follow the correct procedures and might have to send the request to the back office but it can be done.
jcmurray likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:52 am

Out of interest, looking at this from the other direction, I have a booking for June 2023 and I will lose my silver status in Feb 23. I have currently reserved 2 seats on both the outbound and inbound flights. Will I lose these seats in Feb or will they remain free? I am in 2A&C so don't propose to change them (we are not a fan of row 1).
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by MPC1986
Out of interest, looking at this from the other direction, I have a booking for June 2023 and I will lose my silver status in Feb 23. I have currently reserved 2 seats on both the outbound and inbound flights. Will I lose these seats in Feb or will they remain free? I am in 2A&C so don't propose to change them (we are not a fan of row 1).
possibly, they will probably hold for a while but no guarantees they will stay for 8 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.