Cant select seats on AA.com, BA booking

Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Has the flight been ticketed? I often find with AA that I can't select seats until the ticket has been issued.
Checked on BA MMB and have ticket numbers for both of us. So I'm assuming is all good?
Captain Schmidt likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Nephoi
just try rj.com
So simple. Worked a treat. Thanks Nephoi 😄👍
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Managed to get the AA PNR from AA twitter.
login and again:

If you need to change your trip, please contact your travel agent or the website where you booked.

Good old BA IT at its best.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Well done OP.

And to round mine off the rebooking seemed to have created a new AA locator. I found it via CheckMyTrip. And now all five flights appear in both apps
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Well done OP.

And to round mine off the rebooking seemed to have created a new AA locator. I found it via CheckMyTrip. And now all five flights appear in both apps
I'm not anywhere further forward unfortunately. None of the sites seem to be able to let me choose seats or see a seat map.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting?

I can see all my trip details on Qantas.com using either the BA or AA PNRs.

I can only see it on rj.com with the BA PNR.

I still can’t see any trip details, but the booking exists and it says it’s ticketed, on the AA.com website with the AA PNR.

I have been allocated seats on the AA flights, that are consistent across those websites that have the details and they are ok.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:18 am
Original Poster

My rj.com and Qantas and AA all say to contact my Travel Agent despite it being a BA flight only booking.
So frustrating. Tried the BA line and failed miserable.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by marconess
tried on RJ.com
On the Iberia flights it said it couldn't get the seatmap.
On the AA flights it showed seats (all free of charge) on my name, but no seats available for my companion.
My rj.com and Qantas and AA all say to contact my Travel Agent despite it being a BA flight only booking.
Hang on - in one post you said you have IB/AA flights, and in another you're saying BA flights only.

I presume you have a BA.com booking with flights sold with the BA code, but operated by both AA and IB? Would you mind clarifying exactly what you have booked, and who's operating each flight? (we don't need any info that could identify you, just flight numbers/routes). The reason for this is that the solution for your situation can vary depending on what exactly is booked, and how. The 'travel agent' message may be due to using a PNR code that isn't necessarily the right one, but in any case, BA are effectively your agent on behalf of any other airlines in the itinerary.

Managed to get the AA PNR from AA twitter. login and again:

If you need to change your trip, please contact your travel agent or the website where you booked.

Good old BA IT at its best.
Not clear which site is displaying that message, but if it's AA.com, that's not BA IT but AA's... There might be yet another AA PNR you'd need to use on AA.com

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Would reserving seats on aa.com require referencing your data from the BA system that's been down for the last 5 days, by any chance ?
Shouldn't be affected, as the GDS profiles with any applicable status as of the point of outage would still be available for queries. Wherever BA's FF database is held, there's also a basic profile synched in Amadeus, that is then synched with other GDSs like Sabre. The GDS profiles have been accessible throughout the outage, just not able to use points.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA

Hang on - in one post you said you have IB/AA flights, and in another you're saying BA flights only.

I presume you have a BA.com booking with flights sold with the BA code, but operated by both AA and IB? Would you mind clarifying exactly what you have booked, and who's operating each flight? (we don't need any info that could identify you, just flight numbers/routes). The reason for this is that the solution for your situation can vary depending on what exactly is booked, and how. The 'travel agent' message may be due to using a PNR code that isn't necessarily the right one, but in any case, BA are effectively your agent on behalf of any other airlines in the itinerary.
Not clear which site is displaying that message, but if it's AA.com, that's not BA IT but AA's... There might be yet another AA PNR you'd need to use on AA.com
Hey, sorry for not being clear. Appreciate the help.

When I say BA flight only I mean it was only a return flight PMI-LAS booked via BA.com and not a BAH holiday

Flight goes
PMI - MAD (with IB) BA7156
MAD - DFW (with AA) BA1513
DFW - LAS (with AA) BA1679
LAS - DFW (with AA) BA5056
DFW - MAD (with AA) BA1512
MAD - PMI (with IB) IB3912

BA.com says when I try and select to change seats on American:
Sorry, we are unable to reserve your seats with American Airlines at the moment. If your booking was made less than 48 hours ago please try again tomorrow. Otherwise please contact your local British Airways office
The PNR from American Airlines (got from Twitter) says

Unable to change online

I recieved an email saying my flight times had been changed but "If you're happy to travel at the new flight time, you don't need to do anything." Will this have affected it and how the heck can I get back to a normal booking where I can select flights? AA Twitter told me I'd have to contact BA to book the seats on the AA flights?

TIA.

Last edited by marconess; Nov 19, 2021 at 4:34 pm Reason: added flight numbers
Old Nov 19, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
  1. PMI - MAD (with IB) BA7156
  2. MAD - DFW (with AA) BA1513
  3. DFW - LAS (with AA) BA1679
  4. LAS - DFW (with AA) BA5056
  5. DFW - MAD (with AA) BA1512
  6. MAD - PMI (with IB) IB3912

Oooh, nice and messy! By my count, there's probably 4, or even 5 different PNRs involved:
  1. BA booking has all 6 flights
  2. IB (BA) booking has the PMIMAD
  3. AA booking with all 4 AA flts in the middle*
  4. Another IB booking has MADPMI
*There should be only one AA PNR, the one you got from Twitter, but a couple of things might have happened; AA might see the IB flts on either end but only as information segments, and that could throw AA.com off. The other thing could be the schedule change could have caused your ticket to not be fully associated on AA's side, or even have caused the AA PNR to bifurcate…

All fairly normal, but I'm afraid you'll probably have to call. I'd start with AA, since it's their seats you're trying to reserve.

Not really anyone's fault, just one of those things with a multi-sector, multi-airline, multi-codeshare PNR…
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Just thought Id follow through with a query of my own.

Ive booked an LHR-LAX-LHR flight in PE/WTP + car on ba.com, which I believe makes this a package and falls under BAH. For what its worth Im BAEC Silver.

The inbound flight is operated by BA and Ive managed to select my seat in WTP with no issues. The outbound flight has a BA flight number but is operated by AA.

When I try to select a seat on the AA flight through MMB, Im sent to the AA website where I can see an AA record locator and a seat map of the premium economy cabin - however all seats are greyed out and Im invited to try again later or wait until I arrive at the airport.

I suppose I have two questions : will I be able to OLCI for my outbound flight, and will I be able to reserve a seat at all before check in opens, or do I have to ask at the airport ?

Ive called AA directly and they cant help me. Theyve advised to try at OLCI.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bar Operator
Just thought Id follow through with a query of my own.

Ive booked an LHR-LAX-LHR flight in PE/WTP + car on ba.com, which I believe makes this a package and falls under BAH. For what its worth Im BAEC Silver.

The inbound flight is operated by BA and Ive managed to select my seat in WTP with no issues. The outbound flight has a BA flight number but is operated by AA.

When I try to select a seat on the AA flight through MMB, Im sent to the AA website where I can see an AA record locator and a seat map of the premium economy cabin - however all seats are greyed out and Im invited to try again later or wait until I arrive at the airport.

I suppose I have two questions : will I be able to OLCI for my outbound flight, and will I be able to reserve a seat at all before check in opens, or do I have to ask at the airport ?

Ive called AA directly and they cant help me. Theyve advised to try at OLCI.
Have you tried using the AA PNR shown on the MMB transfer screen to access the record directly on the AA web site? This usually works for me. There is also some other stuff that doesn't transfer properly that you can fix on AA.com.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Have you tried using the AA PNR shown on the MMB transfer screen to access the record directly on the AA web site? This usually works for me. There is also some other stuff that doesn't transfer properly that you can fix on AA.com.
Thanks for the suggestion - Ive tried it and unfortunately I still have the same problem.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
If you let us have the date and flight number I am sure someone can look on EF and see what the seat map is showing? Or else you could do a dummy booking on AA for the same flight and see what it shows there?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is it possible that BAH have not ticketed your AA sector yet? Also if you have had changes to the booking it's possible that AA has multiple ghost sectors lingering on the AA side - you just need an agent (AA or BAH) to clear out the redundant ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.