Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Terminal 5 [Missed flight; gate confusion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Terminal 5 [Missed flight; gate confusion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC
I seem to recall a new FTer a couple of years back getting caught the same way. They were a real aviation enthusiast and had gone to look at a particular aircraft at one of the satellites. They were extremely shocked to find themselves in the arrivals stream when attempting to return to their gate.

It doesn’t seem a regular occurrence, thankfully, but the fact that it can happen suggests that maybe the signage is not totally clear.
yellow_peril, wrp96 and OGG flyer like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Welcome to the OP and good luck with take 2 of LHR to Lahore. I too am very fortunate never to have missed a flight other than a connection, but even for those that know T5 like the back of their hand, it can go wrong quite easily. I think this is especially true when you are pretty familiar with where you are, because you can quite easily switch off (a bit why most driving accidents happen on familiar roads).

My biggest problem is what happened with the OP- misreading gate numbers and not double checking and then finding myself at the wrong gate. In places like T5 and T3 that can be a fatal mistake, especially the former. Luckily I have always managed to recover. I recently had a short connection at HEL and convinced myself of the gate number for my next flight (based on the Nordic Sky app) was a very different one to the one I was actually departing from, which is a very stupid thing to do on a short connection (check and double check). By the time I realised my error I had headed in the wrong direction for quite a way and the monitor was showing the flight as closing. I had to do one of those Benny Hill style runs (with laptop etc. jangling precariously) and whilst i made the flight I was looking a bit of a state- ego bruising for a frequent traveller
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Malik123
Thank you all for the comments. All in all I will try to complaint if they agree on the refund fine otherwise I should call it a day.
If you decide to write in to ask for a refund of the fee, before you send it, you might want to post an example of what you plan to write here so that the very kind members of this community can help you refine it.

I hope your flight today goes well.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I will just add the following to the excellent advice already:

The Heathrow Airport app is useful as it can give you step by step directions and has detailed maps, plus it is a reminder of your gate number.

If you have iOS an Apple iphone for example, here is a link https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/lhr-lo...rt/id427951859

To get to the gates you need to get off the shuttle and go up the escalator or elevator/lift. The elevator is quicker.

Good luck - this can happen to anyone!

Step by step navigation

Here’s a map of B and C gates
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Back in the days when BA operated from T1, I once managed to go to the gate where SAA was departing to JNB instead of going to the BA gate. I missed my flight but fortunately got put on the next one that departed 90 minutes later at no extra charge.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Be interesting to find out if there was any IT display issues at T5 that evening. This does happen. A few years back I was in GF waiting for my Manchester flight to come up. The displays in GF was still showing Wait in Lounge. It was only happen chance one of us went down to F&M to buy some cheese, it was noticed on the displays downstairs the flight was in status “Closing”. Fortunately it was A21 so we made it! And yes we also do use the APP and it wasn’t showing gate info on that occasion!

I’ve also had an incident whereby again a flight to Manchester was running late due to late arriving aircraft. The Gate was ‘A’ at one point then changed to ‘B’ Gates. I held my ground as reckoned I could manage another champagne or 2 in GF. Half an hour later the ‘B’ had gone and was now ‘A’ again. FFS! How many people unwittingly went on the transit to B gates I wondered……..

The Heathrow public display system is not infallible, and I’m sure isn’t today either!
Simon Schus and Robert279 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by mario
Back in the days when BA operated from T1, I once managed to go to the gate where SAA was departing to JNB instead of going to the BA gate. I missed my flight but fortunately got put on the next one that departed 90 minutes later at no extra charge.
That was a regular occurrence with the 1805 BA flight to HEL departing from the opposite end of T1 from the 1810 AY flight to HEL, not helped by the fact that both carried the other's flight code as a codeshare.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The good news is that you're unlikely to have this problem ever again.
Another silver lining - you now have an interesting “I lived to tell the tale” story at family gatherings and friends reunions.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:36 pm

Had an issue like this in FCO one time where I ended up in the arrivals stream. Nobody seemed to be bothered when I pushed to the start of the very long Security line as my flight was about to leave.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 2:11 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Had an issue like this in FCO one time where I ended up in the arrivals stream. Nobody seemed to be bothered when I pushed to the start of the very long Security line as my flight was about to leave.
That's because the Italians generally don't do queuing and someone pushing in to the front of one is just everyday behaviour
wrp96 and citiflyerUK like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:02 am

In C terminal, is it still the case that to get back anywhere and remain in the 'departure stream', you have to get in a lift that has three options 1) the floor you're on, 2) staff only and 3) walkway (staff only)?
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Just over 20 years ago I worked at LGW (at the Thomas Cook bureau de change just after immigration in the North Terminal). I was not infrequently asked for directions to Terminals 3 and 4...
Ha, happened in the opposite direction too, I worked in T4 when BA were still there, frequently encountered lost people in arrivals looking for the North terminal who were all rather horrified when I informed them it was a 45+ minute 25 quid coach ride away!
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NandoDave
In C terminal, is it still the case that to get back anywhere and remain in the 'departure stream', you have to get in a lift that has three options 1) the floor you're on, 2) staff only and 3) walkway (staff only)?
The lifts, by the now unused BA Customer Service desk, now just says Walkway, it never was staff only, however the lifts did used to say that.
EuropeanPete and DeathSlam like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I feel very sorry for the OP. just reading it made me anxious - I often have nightmares very similar to what he experienced!

I almost did something like this in Auckland international once after too much time in the Emirates lounge. There’s only about 10 gates in the whole little terminal! I panicked when I couldn’t find the gate, until I finally realised QF were using a little known bus gate that night, which is hidden in between the two far off A380 gates. Lesson learned - that last drink may not be a great idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.