Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Same day flight change

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Back in May they wanted £14k to let me drop a MAN-LHR shuttle from the start of MAN-LHR-ABV. So I ended up driving from Heathrow to Manchester and flying back to Heathrow again 🤦‍♂️
allycat53 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Crazy how inflexible the system is built. Some of the numbers are eye watering.

Wonder if anyone has had any experience trying to downgrade themselves to take an earlier flight?

I’m booked in PE and if you search online, any other PE flight that day is offered at minimum £700. They only offer business and first options too (at crazy numbers) but not economy..
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Crazy how inflexible the system is built. Some of the numbers are eye watering.

Wonder if anyone has had any experience trying to downgrade themselves to take an earlier flight?

I’m booked in PE and if you search online, any other PE flight that day is offered at minimum £700. They only offer business and first options too (at crazy numbers) but not economy..
if you call you are indeed able to ask for both change and downgrade. It will likely (but not certainly) be cheaper than changing and keeping W. Note that it might still be a fare increase anyway especially if you booked a cheap deal. Also with most tickets, there is no refund if the new flight is cheaper.

a few threads discuss those self-downgrade cases.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by allycat53
On a recent return from JFK in May I was in F on the BA114 at 2130 and looked online in the morning to see if I could move to an earlier flight as I had lots of spare time. BA.com quoted me a figure of around £11,000 to change that leg. Yikes. The original F fare was about £1700 return, bought in the sales in late 2020 for mid 2021 and rebooked a couple of times through BWC to 2022. Needless to say I just spent the extra hour or two in the CCR instead !!
That’s pretty odd. Did you ask in the lounge or on the phone? In the lounge (and once at checkin) I’ve been moved to earlier JFK->LHR flights for nothing, as they know they aren’t going to sell the seats on the earlier flights but have a chance of selling them on the later flights (or are oversold). I suspect they have far more flexibility in the airport. I even cheekily once said I’d by an AUP CW->F if they put me in F on the earlier flight (which worked). I would not even bother trying to do this on the phone.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
if you call you are indeed able to ask for both change and downgrade. It will likely (but not certainly) be cheaper than changing and keeping W. Note that it might still be a fare increase anyway especially if you booked a cheap deal. Also with most tickets, there is no refund if the new flight is cheaper.

a few threads discuss those self-downgrade cases.
So I tried this and even to downgrade to economy BA quoted me over £600 to change the fare. I paid £c.1000.

I don’t understand this unless the whole ticket has to be repriced? Is that how it works?

I can see they are asking for £500 on the website to book into Economy Standard for this flight and therefore there should be no/little difference in terms of the difference between the outbound cost.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
I don’t understand this unless the whole ticket has to be repriced? Is that how it works?
yes, as was mentioned as early as post 6
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.