Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA v AA First

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC KLM
I find it difficult to even think of BA offering a feeling of luxury and class in F or C. That died out around 15 years ago and went downhill ever more after the crews spat the dummies out when Willie Walsh started making IFSM help serve the food. I think you have to accept that flying across the pond in F or C is nothing like the real top service you get with the like of the Asian or Middle Eastern Airlines and never will be.
Ramos likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
J typically gets the regular brut, but AA F does sometimes cater the Nicolas F Palmes d'Or (eg, https://www.totalwine.com/wine/champ...6&igrules=true). It's not a cheap-out by any measure, though the LPGS that both AA and BA typically served in F tends to be better received.
Oh, that isn't bad at all then.

I'm pretty sure AA and BA do at least some joint wine sourcing, as I've noticed a reasonable amount of similar product between the two.

Originally Posted by Annerk
The extortionist tax on the BA ticket is the only reason I typically choose AA.
Don't call it a tax - they want people to think they aren't the ones charge it.

Originally Posted by flyingManc
If my memory is correct the AA F seat had a massage function, which I have yet to find on another airline
I've known several airlines to have some sort of massage in the seat. AC does.
Annerk likes this.

Last edited by N1120A; Nov 14, 2021 at 6:35 pm
Old Nov 11, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
I will know next month. Fly AA F DFW/LHR then BA F LHR/DFW. All booked through BA,
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by archerjohn
I find it difficult to even think of BA offering a feeling of luxury and class in F or C. That died out around 15 years ago and went downhill ever more after the crews spat the dummies out when Willie Walsh started making IFSM help serve the food. I think you have to accept that flying across the pond in F or C is nothing like the real top service you get with the like of the Asian or Middle Eastern Airlines and never will be.
BA to AA is what the ME3 are to BA
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
J typically gets the regular brut, but AA F does sometimes cater the Nicolas F Palmes d'Or (eg, https://www.totalwine.com/wine/champ...6&igrules=true). It's not a cheap-out by any measure, though the LPGS that both AA and BA typically served in F tends to be better received.
Well, I am truly amazed. It certainly didn’t taste amazing, but it was from a floppy plastic cup, like made available for dental mouthwash. The sooner they get back to proper glasses the better.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I flew LHR-JFK earlier in the week in F and the service was pretty much identical to pre-covid. New BA F is IMO a superior hard product to AA too
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I flew LHR-JFK earlier in the week in F and the service was pretty much identical to pre-covid. New BA F is IMO a superior hard product to AA too
Fortunately, as our return flight was not affected by the USA reopening it will be BA F.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by N1120A
The champagne sounds like a miscater.
Indeed, AA F has been offering LPGS on TATL flights.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
The thing I hate about AA F (other than the food and service being worse than BA) is the see-through curtain between J and F. It's irritating, distracting, and is not great at deadening the noise from behind.
That awful see-through curtain……….just soooo tacky like everything else on AA
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I’ve flown both. I prefer the BA seat although AA was certainly comfortable. Where AA went off the rails was the food. It was barely edible.

Still I wanted to try AA First and now I have. I wouldn’t do it again if I had a choice. The crew were great though!
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Fraser
Indeed, AA F has been offering LPGS on TATL flights.
For a while now too.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I think that AA are still the only US airline who actually have an international F cabin. I agree that it isn't as good as BA although great to hear that the cutlery and glasses are finally back "#thenightmareends"
The AA seat is great to be able to work on your laptop and face out of the window, although my personal experience has been that (perhaps because of this) the seats seem quite likely to be broken.
Probably the mini-J cabin just behind F on the 777 is still the sweet-spot on long-haul AA.

Last edited by crazy8534; Nov 12, 2021 at 6:51 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR, Virgin Gold
Flagship First dining on the ground is always pretty good. not sure if the half bottles of Krug are still around though. The AA F food offering in the air has always been weird/disappointing. Great seat, but zero privacy. I do love the personal (adjustable) air vents above the seat though.BA does tend to overheat the cabin. BA F still has the edge.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease
BA to AA is what the ME3 are to BA
Eh, not really. Depends on the flight. AA has much better seats. Crews are a mixed bag (except DFW - 90% of DFW international AA crews are terrible).

Originally Posted by dbthebolt
not sure if the half bottles of Krug are still around though.
Krug sucks anyway.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC
One difference that I noted. AA allows you to order your meal 30 day prior to flight, while BA has you order onboard, which I understand, your first choice may be out when you order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.